Help with faults - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
ian campbell
Help with faults

Hi all
As i posted in a previous post i aquired a 33 1.5 ie for free,it had sat in a drive for 3 years.
The good news is it passed it,s mot with nothing major needing done but it has a couple of faults i hope someone can help me with.
The temp gauge dosen,t work,how do i check the gauge,sender etc and where is the sender.
I am scared to run it for too long incase the fan dosen,t come on,how do i check that.
The heater fan fuse keeps blowing i disconnected the plug on the fan and now the fuse is ok but the fan still goes on but flat out how does this happen and how do i fix it.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
the temp sensor is in the radiator on the left hand side, if it has buggered up it may be due to a fault elsewhere a short which is blowing your fuse
AO Member
Hi Ian,

The temperature Gauge sender on a 1.7ie is actually mounted in one of the the inlet manifolds- I think it is the left hand one and has one wire attached. You may have to remove the main inlet/plenum chamber to access it.

If you short it out the gauge should go to full scale- If it does it is probably a sender fault- if it doesn't- check your wiring and gauge cluster.

There is a second sender on the ie motors with a two wire plug which is for the fuel injection system- this is independant of the gauge or cooling fan.

The sender in the radiator is just for the cooling fan, you can test it by putting a thermometer in the expansion tank with the engine running and making sure the fan kicks in at around 85-90 degrees.

If you work through it step by step you will work it out- maybe if you download the wiring diagrams it will help you solve the problem easier.

ian campbell
Thanks Damon
I noticed the sender on the manifold and wondered what it was,there is also a sender about central on the block it to has a single wire to it,the sender on the radiator is on the right(facing front)is there any way to check these with an ohm meter

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint