water pumps - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
water pumps

trying to replace water pump and timing belts,
in the process of removing old pump its completley ceased in. Trying to leaver it off resulting in casting breaking, greater percentage of pump still stuck in block ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Hi Timmy,

There is a special Alfa Tool for removing Boxer water pumps but the general backyard method is to destroy the pump.

Unfortunately Alfa Romeo in their infinite wisdom decided to make the aluminium water pump housing a close fit in the cast iron block.

This would be fine if the pump was (a) accessible (b) not immersed in coolant or (c) not recessed 50mm into the block!

Basically your only option is to distort or crack the water pump housing. Levering the housing won't get you very far. Best home technique is to find the heaviest solid piece of steel and a FBH (large hammer) If the pump is really corroded in it can be useful to drop the subframe to gain access from below.

Starting from above apply heavy blows downward on the nose of the water pump. If it moves about 5mm then you can try levering the pump out of the block gradually.

If it does not respond to this 'persuasion' be careful- (i have seen a block cracked by rough water pump removal) it is often safer drop the subframe and repeat from below.

Eventually the pump will loosen up enough to come out and be replaced by the new pump! Another joy in the rich heritage of Alfa Romeo ownership..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Take a look at my site: http://www.eminence.com.ru for details about it and also take a look at the AROCA site: http://www.alfaclub.org.au under lloyd clonans section.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Electrolytic corrosion causes the damn thing to be stuck semi-permanently (semi because it can be got out using brute force to destroy it). After my first one went I used copper ease on the interface between the surfaces but I still had to resort to the destructive method on this when it too had to be replaced. I,ve found that the easiest way to replace timing belts and water pumps is to remove the grill and radiator first, you then still have some knuckles afterwards.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

pumps , water