Fuel meter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel meter

Here's the problem. My fuel meter thinks he's a speedmeter or something. When i accelerate the meter shows full or overfull en when i brake the meter goes down to empty. Sometimes the "alomost empty" light goes on. Only when i'm standing still the correct amount of fuel is displayed. How can i solve this problem??

Sponsored Links
Mine does the same thing... I havent really found any way to cure it though. Most likely the sender inside the tank.
AO Member
County: Greater London
I wish mine did that. That sounds cool!

Crazy italian electrics!
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Really nothing you can do, all the 33's I have had in the past did that. There should have been a baffle plate or something around the float in the tank, so it woundnt be so darn sensitive to the movements of the car.

Vasilios Zaharitsef
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Hoygaard:
Really nothing you can do, all the 33's I have had in the past did that.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All the Sprints and Suds have the same behaviour too...

Generally the tank fills up when you accelerate; pretty cool and kind of science fiction, if you ask me

Oh yes, I have driven 80km or more with the fuel emergency light constantly on too...
AO Silver Member
County: Set&uacute;bal
My 33 normally does this when the fuel gets nnear the half tank... Otherwise I think it marks the level pretty accuratly, alot better than my previous car a Opel Corsa A GT 1.4l...

People tend to talk badly about italian electronics, but this german car had alot more electrical problems than my two alfas... The only two gauges that seem to work properly were the speedo and rev counter... all the other fluctuated vigorosly when accelerating or braking...

Don't worry about it... it's alot better to put fuel when you still have 10 litres than less, because you don't get to the end of the fuel tank and stir up the rubbish deposits and it cost less to fill up

All the Best

Driving is a Passion... but doing it with an Alfa is a way of life...

.................................................. .........

My Photo Gallery at www.olhares.com
AO Member
stirring up the crap in the bottom of the tank is a bit a dumb idea as generally most tanks pull from the bottom anyway,

My sud is again in the club of nasty fuel gauges, but i must admit my 75 is not much better and my 99 model corolla is not much better than it either,
My Hilux is the only decent fuel gauge out of all of them
It's something that happens in you're fuel tank. When you accelerate, the fuel is moving to the back of the tank, and when you're braking the fuel is moving to the front... I think that there is something floating on the fuel in your tank that's pretty sensitive to these kind of movements... My fuel meter only does this when the tank is halfway filled, the fuel has more space to move then...
Diego Guerrero
Surprisingly, my fuel meter never has fluctuated that much. Only when the tank is almost empty, i.e. last 10 lts or so, the fuel light comes on when I brake.

When I accelerate, it just reads a little more fuel than there really is. Other than that, it's dead on regardless of how much fuel is in the tank

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

fuel , meter