Insecure springs on a 1988 Sprint 1.7 Cloverleaf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Insecure springs on a 1988 Sprint 1.7 Cloverleaf

Hi! I have just bought a UK spec Alfa Sprint for 600 in pretty good condition. Not much rust, low milage and the engine is very strong. However, when up on the ramp having its brakes checked, the mechanic noticed that the front springs were not secure, and appear too short for the car. Lowering springs have not been fitted as far as I know, as I have the former owner's word and the entire service history. The mechanic said that around corners and over bumps they may make a clunking sound and shift around, I have heard an occasional ping over major bumps but that is all. Apparently this is an MOT failure point (the Annual UK safety test). Could these be the original springs that have been compressed with years of use? Is it an urgent job or can I wait till my money situation is a bit more favorable?! Thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Vasilios Zaharitsef
Hello Jonathan,

Glad you found a good Sprint, try to keep it in good condition.

Is there any marking visible on the springs themselves? That way you can tell if they are the original ones. Apart from that, the previous owner(s) may have cut a coil resulting, in time, to shifting.

A good option is to get Sachs/Boge original springs, they are the same as the Series I Alfa 33. They are not that expensive really.

With lowered springs (say, 30mm), some twisting of the springs is expectable and it is not dangerous IMO. If you apply downward pressure to the bonnet/hatch, does the car rebound correctly (that is, once)? Are the shocks firm enough? Also, have you checked the bushes? A suspension performing less than optimally can indeed be dangerous, esp. during aggresive driving conditions. Also, your braking stability shall suffer.

My opinion is, see to it asap.
AO Member
County: Greater London
Hey Jonathan

How many miles has your car done? Mine's done 35,000.

Have you checked behind the rear sidecards? You have to take the rear seat out first. You may find that your rear wheel arches are very crispy.

I thought that my Sprint was near mint until I did. Now it's off the road until I can afford to get it welded up with repair sections.

You might want to check under the carpet as well. Mine had lots of water in the rear footwells. I haven't replaced the carpet and water is still collecting there. God knows how it's getting in.. I'm not even driving it!

Does anybody know any decent welders near Watford?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

1988 , cloverleaf , insecure , springs , sprint