series1 33 suss-pension - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
series1 33 suss-pension

Hello people.

After reading one of the topics below in this forum..."sud sway bar" I thaught I would ask some advice regarding my 33 s1 QV 1985 more specificaly.
My 33 is in very nice condition... tiny rust, straight body and great engine. However the suspension feels old... like in dog years. I would like to get the handling back to work.

The advice I am asking???

I am going to rework the front and rear. Presently the front strut bearings are shod.. badly. The front shocks are on the way out. The streering has no play (so it seems) although because of the strut bearings the steering is clunky... under tension and forever changing alignment and camber.( great way to save on tyre wear).

The rear has new sach's shocks fitted (for now). This didn't fix rattles and squeeks from there. I also experience some sideways walking around hard corners. So I guess the watts linkage etc need new bushings.

I am realy after a good combination of urethane v's OEM rubber bushing for front and back. Also any other parts that should be renewed together in this operation. May stick with stock shocks in the front also.

Also... I am in possetion of an old sud sway bar and cross member. Should I fit this. Ive heard a rear sway bar would be better fitted first?? The car is basicaly for sporty road use so no extreem mods are necessary but I want a tight car.

Also I am visiting the UK in the next few weeks... before I spend on the suspension work, so I can gather parts from there if necessary.

Best Regards... and advice greatly appreciated.

Rich, Sydney.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Well I found the sway bar to be good not only for the cornering but for torque steer aswell. So if you get a bit of torque steer then may be fit it if your car currently does not have a sway bar. And if you have the sway bar kicking around why not try fitting it if you don't like the feel then revert to the old setup?

From what I have heard replacing the front and rear shocks with Konis is the recommended modification path. Lowering the car is also something that seems to be done quite readily. I don't have the money for "big" suspension mods (come to think of it, just about an mod!) to my car so I really don't know.

If you want a car that handles, I do have a very nice Permanent 4 for sale. The AWD really helps it stick to the road and the 16v block gives good power.

I hope someone else can be of more help,

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
Vasilios Zaharitsef
Hello Rich,

It all depends on how far you wish to go and, eventually, what type of car you have in mind.

For fast road use, my opinion is to go with 33 16V items. That is, Sachs/Boge front and rear shocks and springs. The springs are a bit shorter from those you have and the overall visual effects shall be better too. You can get item codes at Sachs website:

As for the front anti-roll bar, that is what I did for the Sprint and I'm quite happy. Alternatively, you can fit the Eibach anti-roll bar set (front+rear) but I think this is too much for a 1.5lt (you shall never produce that much cornering speed as a 1.7 16V). And they are not cheap...

Bushes are, IMHO, the first think you have to look into. New stock items shall totally transform the car. You can also start experimenting with urethane bushes, but I suggest you do it in stages and see how the car handles.

Finally don't forget to install the front top-mounts of the 33 Nuova. Possibly your steering troubles stem from worn top mounts.

All this is a good starting point, you can easily end-up spending thousands if you go balls to the wall with every concievable high tech solution. Before you start fitting coilovers and adjustable shocks, decide what you want to end with.

Oh, and I suppose you have already fitted good tyres and alligned the wheels correctly, haven't you?

Hope this helps
AO Member
As I can see you're a Sydney sider, where so you live and i could recommend some guys to help you out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

series1 , susspension