How to start engine in -25 cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Konstantin Korolov
How to start engine in -25 cold

Please help me!

I buy a AR-33 with twin Dellorto carbs 6 months ago.
Now is weather, and in Latvia is very cold: - 25 grades. HOW TO START ENGINE??
Whhat a problem? Maybe a choke is working not properly?
All wires are OK. Ignition and carbs was regulated in good service. What a problem?
Sponsored Links
This starting procedure for Webers is copied from and should work with Dellorto carbs as well

Some Webers have a cold start circuit (choke), others don't, in my experience, it is very easy to flood the engine and wet plugs using the cold start mechanism, as it very crude in operation. The accepted technique for cold starting is as follows:-

Allow the float chambers to fill if you have an electric pump, this should take about 5-10 seconds, fully depress the accelerator rapidly four times, then on a light throttle, turn the engine over, if it does not start immediately, repeat the procedure three times. The engine should fire, but may need 'nursing' for a minute or two before it will idle, gentle prodding of the accelerator should keep it alive long enough for it to warm up. If the engine does not fire within three attempts, then try five or six pumps. If this does not work, depress the accelerator fully and hold it open while turning the engine over for 5 to 15 seconds, then close the accelerator and try again.
Anne P

Welcome to AO! I hope you manage to sort out your problem. Anyway, I was curious to find out how common Alfa's are in your country and what the availabilty of spare's is like?

AO Member
Greetings Konstantin.

If you have access to a suitable electricity supply you could maybe fit a Kenlowe "Hot Start" to your engine. This will preheat your water circuit to 80²C whilst you tuck in to your tea and toast (or whatever the Lativian equivalent is)in the comfort of your home. Have a look at I think they cost in the region of £150 - £170 (GB pounds).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

cold , engine , start