Heater - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi, my problem right now is that my suds heater is not making any effect. I know the heater was not designed to heat the car so much due to the fact that the south of italy doesn't get so cold.
But i certainly remember that it really used to heat the inside alot and makes it more comfortable to drive in cold weather.

Does anybody know how to make this heater heat again? could it be that the small radiator behind the blower it clogged up or else it's normal?

Can the small radiator be repeared?

Sponsored Links
The same thing happened to my 33. It was the thermostat - simple as that. The stat had stuck open and the water couldn't get into the heater matrix to heat the cabin. You should be able to pick one up in a motor factors or main dealer. The instructions are simple enough.
AO Gold Member
you could always carry a parrafin heater with you..it'll fit in the back don't you think? wink
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Yes I read that as Suds were built in Naples there was no need for a heater that worked and they tended to be rather weak, (however my father was in Italy during WWII and he said that their winters were appalling). So, I never bothered much about the heating on my 33 for 8 years(!) until I fitted a new heater matrix (7 new at AROC national day), now the heater will dry hair! Of course try the thermostst first as its m uch easier to replace than the matrix.
AO Member
the matrix is easy enough to replace, just take the top chamber out, (that should take about 5 min, the is for nuts to remove inside the cabin and about 8 funy little clips and the hole thing just lifts out, it's pretty easy,it's even easier to put it back in.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

had the same prob in my mk2 and mk3 33.. the mk2 was a rusted up matrix and took me about an hour in the pooring rain to fix. two weeks later i wrapped the car round a post on some ice! lovely.

and the mk3 was a clogged up feed pipe to the matrix.. took about 10 mins to sort.. in the dry too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint