Juddering P4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
Juddering P4

My 33S Permanent 4 sometimes "judders" a bit under braking.

At lower speeds I can feel a sort of pulsing from the front end, like I'm cadence braking but the brake pedal doesn't move, vibrate or pulse at the same time, so I don't think I have warped discs.

The car's done 80k miles but the brakes are only 30k-old drilled Red-Dot and I have braided Goodridge hoses, so no worries there. It's just started doing this recently - they were fine before.

Is it a suspension issue? Bushes or something?

Ralf S.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Dear Ralf,
Interesting to hear almost all 33 P4 posts seem to involve juddering of some sort!

My P4 has passed to another fortunate owner and has been "replaced" by a 156 for the meantime.

Assuming you have checked the obvious things like tyres are ok and wheels are all round you could check the 4WD system. I used to get some shudder on deceleration from mine before the rear drive electromagnetic clutch disengaged.

Check to see that the 4wd sensor has not been disconnected and bypassed, they do fail fairly regularly- they fit on the back of the gearbox and plug in below the gearlever boot under the console. If it has failed completely the 4WD light will come on and it will drop into FWD only.

You could try disconnecting the 4WD relay on the LH side of the bulkhead up under the scuttle- the 4wd light will come on and drop into FWD if you get the right relay and drive it again- if the shudder goes away I probably wouldn't worry about it- under braking there will be a certain amount of torque transfer due to the front/rear brake bias on moderate braking.

If you put better pads on the front that could possibly change the torque transmitted under braking? haven't tried it though.

Hope this is of use- did you end up lowering your car?

Best Wishes

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 23-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
No ... he gave a VW Passat estate diesel a head-butt at a junction, so I'm going to have to fix a dented wing and a busted indicator lens.

I'll do the lowering after the visit to the bodyshop (may re-spray the back bumper too - it's a bit chipped at the bottom).

Anyway, "juddering" is probably the wrong word for my symptoms - it's more like a "pulsing".

It doesn't seem to be transmission related - it's feels the same as if I was just pumping the brake pedal gently, varying the pressure on the brakes.

Though, in my case I'm keeping the brake pressure constant and there's no movement, tingling or vibration coming through the pedal itself.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Firstly look at your tyres. Put it on a jack and spin the wheels to see if you have any mishapen areas on your tyres, and also to check for a buckled wheel. Take the wheels off and look at the brake discs as well - you may not always feel a warped disc in your pedal.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint