New springs - P4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
New springs - P4

I saw some Pi lowering springs at a local motor factor's closing down sale, which was so unexpected that I just had to have them.

I managed to blag them for a good price, along with a strut brace (no wonder he went bust, stocking stuff for Alfa 33s!).

Anyway, the brace went on 2 years ago (ahem!) and now, it's finally time to fit the springs.

Has anyone done this? What do I need to dismantle?

Once the car is jacked up and the wheels off, I can see the shock bottom mount and the rear suspension struts. It seems as though if I can unbolt all that, the springs will just drop out (apart from the rear axle's in the way). How do I do it?

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Dear Ralf,

I can imagine why they went broke stocking strut braces and lowering springs for 33's- I can't imagine a strut brace would be highly sough after with the unbelievably strong double bulkhead of the Sud and 33!

As for the lowering springs- most standard cars have sagged so much that you might end up with about the same height if not higher!

Springs are really easy to fit, if you have a spring compressor it is a bit safer but with lowering springs you could probably get away without one.

If you undo the top (17mm) strut bolt in the car before you remove the front struts you can decompress them using the car as weight, simply jack the car up and then the springs will lose their tension and simply undo the 4 bolts at the bottom, 4 nuts at the top and remove the strut and top bush.

If the springs are short enough you should be able to slip the springs into the plates and by pressing down on the top and starting the thread on the shaft and tightening it down.

it may pay to put some grease it the strut bearings (below the lower spring mount) while it is apart, or simply replace them- they fail quite regularly and are fairly cheap.

The rears are quite easy, undo one of the rear lateral arm bolts and release the shock absorber, jack up the car, slip the old springs out and new ones in. The rears don't sag much compared to the front so the car will be more level and lose the nose down dragster look most now have!

You could always take the golden opportunity to slip in a set of Koni adjustable shocks while it is apart to make it really handle...

Best Wishes

Damon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-02 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
Blinkin' marvellous Damon. Cheers.

My old ship already has lowered front springs (strange but true) so I've always wanted to lower the rears to suit - the low front just makes the wheel-arch gap at the back look really obvious.

I may give it a go this weekend if the weather looks like staying dry and if my missus Giulia [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] (she insists on spelling it with a "J" and she likes Toyoties but I'm going to wear her down eventually) will let me.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint