My name is Anthony Raikes from New Zealand.
I am working on my 33s road/race car and work like some help....see below
I have included engine , vin no.s in case this helps.
Car make/model: Alfa Romeo 33s 1.7ltr 16v QV (2 wheel drive)(DEC 1991 NZ registration) Engine Plate: #001 04 05V
No. for Spares: #5377197
No. stamped on plate(in RH front corner under bonnet): #95926242
.................................. General notes......
I am attempting to modify it. I have asked around but cannot locate an owners/parts manual or CD-Rom(including detailed motor/electrical wiring blue prints etc...)
I am also wanting to know if the following modifications can be achieved...
1)Convert rear drum brakes to disc. the 33 Permanent4 version had disc brakes(+ ABS) all round.
Mine has disc rotors and single pot caliper on front, drum with handbrake cable on rear.
Could anyone source me a set of slotted disc rotors for both front and rear, with the right measurements for the wheel bearings, or guide me to the correct part no.s for...say Brembo??...it would be most helpful.
Also I may need separate rear handbrake calipers but i am trying to find out what the British 1991 2WD model or Permanent4 model used, before making this decision. (NB:What would stop me using the rear
calipers off a Permanent4 model?)
The stud patten is 4 x 98 mm and the rim diameter is currently 5.5J x 14 inch(Speedline alloys). I want to put 17 inch rims on the car which means more room for bigger disc rotors if required.
If i can't find any 17" rims that suit, i may have to look at modifying the stub axle and wheel bearings.(ie: go to 145 or 155 type???)
I mention this because it would certainly alter the brake package.
2) Replace standard Valeo clutch with a heavy-duty racing type or similar.
3) Recondition the current 5 speed box.
(any ideas on worn syncros?) OR Replace it with a 6 speed box from another Alfa, say 156?? (can this be done?)
4) Motor improvements etc...boring out engine block.(anything that will increase power at lowspeed/standingstarts) + any aftermarket parts that are better than the originals.(eg:bore out to 1830cc using 90mm forged pistons,gas flowed heads, re-progm injection, fit performance camshafts etc...)
5) Modify the current air box(bottom half only) to improve air flow NB:I had thought about cutting a hole in the bodywork through into where the RH aircon radiator is fixed and manufacturing S/S tubing to suit....would this work??)
6) Upgrade engine management system(I think it is a Motronic system currently??)
7) Modifications to and/or a new body kit (looking at kit @ www.lester.it)
8) Complete exhaust system replacement, from engine block to rear tips. I have had a quote("Cat" back - 25y guarantee) from London S/S Exhaust Center(196 pounds) Does this sound OK?
PLEASE NOTE: I am trying to perform any labour by myself and my mechanic friend so I am asking for..."tech information on how to do what" AND/OR
"parts that i can purchase" ONLY!!!!!
I have already replaced.....
a)Suspension parts and recalibrated to factory sport settings for ride height.
b)New custom copper-brass Radiator(2/3 more capacity) with twin electric fans mounted on rear.
c)Totally rewired except for engine.
d)Complete interior make over
I would also like to see any photos or see specs of 33 models that have been modified to give me futher ideas.
I subscribe to Auto Italia(UK) and have seen photos of cars racing in the 33 series class but would like more information.
The Alfa club in NZ, of which i am a member(AROCNZ #6505), has been helpful but we just don't have the knowledge or experience that you seem to have in your countries.
I should say that my medical company imports a lot of supplies from England so I don't have a problem with customs/shipping etc... in that country.
PS: My contact details are as follows...
P.O.Box 560 Levin (post code 5500)
Attn - Anthony Raikes
Amtech(NZ) - The First Aid Co.
10-12 Bruce Road
+64 (6) 368 5884 work ph
+64 (6) 367 9310 fax
email address: email@example.com (email is best option)