1.5L Twin-Carb rebuild questions please pelase help me! :) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
1.5L Twin-Carb rebuild questions please pelase help me! :)

'lo all,
i'm considering rebuilding a 1.5L twin carb insteasd of forking out for the 1.7L version, because I've got an old 1.5L engine lying around in the back yard...
Now, the 1.5L specs are 84x67.2 (Bore X Stroke) and the 1.7L is 87x72.7.
Does anyone know, form experience or from something they read, if it is possible to bore the 1.5 out to the 1.7 spec given above??? I'm assuming it may be possible but unsure??
I would really like to speak to anyone who has rebuilt/modified a 1.5 or 1.7 engine as i have many questions regarding boring, shaving the head (how much is is possible??), crankshaft and camshaft specs for max power, while still letting the car idle for road use.
If you have any knowledge or know anyone who does have any knowledge about any or all of this, I really would love to hear from you....
Southern75: I remember once you spoke about a guy in Sydney who rebuilds 1.5/1.7L engines for racing or soemthing>????? Would love to hear more about this, or some contact details for him would be great???
Thankyou all in advance,
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

i think you'll find it difficult to find 1.7 piston heads and crankshafts, that are in good condition. Most people will only sell the engine as a whole not split into components.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~alexj/m...oxer-data.html (Thanks to Alex Jenner from New Zealand)
The above link is probably exactly what you want.
http://members.staroffice.com/www/eminence you might also want to download the 33 Workshop Manual from my site.

Also a quick post at http://disc.server.com/Indices/20413.html, which is The 33 Discussion List. They are very good with this type of question over there. So take a look.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
AO Member
yes i have been told that the guys who use 1.5 for a racing engine usually bore it a bit and use the 1.7 pistons making it approx 1.6 but it rases the compression to about 13.1 which is not realistic unless your using rf100 which isn't cheap.

the 1.7 twin carb is a good option but it is very torquey in the midrange revs but the 1.5 is all up top
but rebuilding a 1.5 is not necessarily a good thing on the streets coz if you make it too hot it's very quickly undrivable,

there is some guys that race here and are effectively using a rebuilt 1.5 with acing cams and ported heads and they are very fast

if you really want i can give you some names her in sydney of people that can help you if you like

Goats, A Robust solution for a high tech world!
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

Look here

Also Gringo's site.. Excellent read http://www.alfaboxertuning.fws1.com/
AO Member
Dear Rob,
I quite like the idea of a 1.6- it should be quite a sweet motor if you can sort the CR situation. I think i've got a set of standard 1.7 pistons left over from my 33 motor if you want to have a play...
Best wishes
Damon [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 28-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
would love to get the pistons of you! $$??
have you got any other bits and pieces i might find useful in this rebuild? cams? crank? anythin?
where abouts in melbourne are you/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

15l , pelase , questions , rebuild , twincarb