alfa 33 handling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
alfa 33 handling

afternoon everyone,
i posted this on another forum but wanting to suck on others brains ive posted here too.

recently purchased the xcelent 33 1.5TI...i am however a little concerned at some handling issues i have noticed. at high speed over uneven surfaces i feel the chassis wobble (kinda like being in a boat!) and also when i stick my foot down from standing the front end lifts (normal) and then pulls to the right...also i was blasting past a car yesterday, high revs-clutch in to change up a gear and as the drive came off the front wheels the car lurched to the left....scary moment as i nearly ran into the side of the other car!!
i had to get the tracking done (5mm out) but this hasnt solved the it possible that there is something else wrong OR it is the tracking and i was ripped off...( AlfaServices, Bunting rd, Northampton )????
any ideas/knowledge really greatly appreciated...
ps sorry bout the [poll] thing...dont know where it came from, cheers
Sponsored Links
If a vehicle pulls to the right with power on and to the left with power off I would look for worn bushes etc on the left side causing the wheel to move forwards and back causing steering faults, this would also cause the scuttle shake effect you describe, it also could be a worn spring or damper but my money would be a bush fault. One last thing, are the tyres on the front worn equally, this sometimes gives a less dramtic effect if a new tyre is placed on a drive axle with a worn one. Always fit tyres as pairs!!!!!!!!!!!
The handling problem you described is exactly what I was experiencing when one of my shock absorbers was worn and basically gone. That side would lift and the car would pull to one side under acceleration, then as I lifted off or braked, it would dive back in the opposite direction. Very unpleasant, and very shortly after accompanied by a clonking from the worst shock.

Change both of your shocks, and if you have the cash get the koni yellows - they are good and make a difference to the stability of the front end.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfa , handling