carb flooding Sud - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Zebbug
Hmmm carb flooding Sud

hi all just a quick question of the "what do i do next" kind :/

i just bought a 2nd Sud today to be used as a 'doner' vehicle to the one i have and want to restore ...

the 2nd Sud has a lovely inside and plenty of parts the are better than mine but a shot body full of rust holes ... 'my' body is very much restorable with minimal work ...

thing is this 2nd Sud has been off the road for 7.5 years and stored in a garage ... ex-owner says engine was started "periodically" and the car taken round the block but the last time was 1.5 yrs ago ...

so i wanted to start the engine as he said plenty of money was spent on it before being laid off and it might be better than mine which needs big end bearings ...

well after the usual priming the carb (air filter off) and seeing to dizzie and coil and some WD40 on plugs etc it started with jump leads and seemed to work nice and smooth before the carb started drowing in petol that was spurting up al around it.... flooded and died.

i dried everywhere and let it evaporate and tried again ... same result ... started after a few tries ... worked what seemed like ok for 10 secs than petrol starts spurting up from the top front side of carb (front as in towards front grill) and pouring into venturi and turned it off.

(i had a helper in car turing the ignition and pressing the throttle)

carb on this car is a Solex twin-choke - on mine same month/year Sud it is a Weber 32 twin choke.... both 1.3 1982 Suds.

any ideas

whats going on

ta for any help
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Fuel chamber float valve stuck open inside the carb?
County: Nicosia
or membranes cracked and dont hold the fuel where they should ?
will your carb swap over, just to try it? you will know if the engine is ok then. don't worry about throttle cables or anything
if not try tapping the side of the float chamber, could be a sticking float as has been suggested. have seen a float get a hole in it before so it didn't (float )
check pipes also, return pipe blocked
AO Member
County: Devon
Hello, my Sud (single carb 1.3) did the same thing after only being unused for a few months, tapping the side of the float chamber as kev mentioned stopped it and touch wood it's not done it again. It is probably worth trying this first before anything else.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 26-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Zebbug
thanks guys ... so i see most prob thsi is carb related ... i suspected the fuel pump too .... seems the quick option is to swap carbs and try ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

carb , flooding , sud