A hole new begging - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-01 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

A hole new begging

Hi All,

This is the start of scariest thing I've done to my Alfa yet. Having decided that I would like to become more 'hands on' with my car, I have taken on a new project.

In order to get as much cold air as possible into the air intake (K&N), my car needs a vent in the bonnet. This is nothing unusual as many modified cars have vents and scoops. But few have Properly designed NACA ducts.

A NACA duct is an air intake designed by NASA in the middle of last century. For a good few years it was top secret. By the 60's every body had worked out how they work and the best places to use them. The whole idea behind a NACA duct is to intake air at a slightly increased pressure without creating drag in the air flow of the vehicle.
One of the most famous uses of NACA ducts is on the front of a Ferrari F40.

Why is this such a big deal for my car? Well I'm going to make it myself. I have never used Fiberglas before and even more scary is, I've never made a big hole in the bonnet of my car before! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The first step is to make the mould for the Fiberglas. I've just come back form the hobby shop with a load of balsa wood.
I have already designed my duct and I will make the mould over the weekend..

Monday should be test run on spare Fiberglas. All being well then Tuesday/Wednesday should be the real thing.. gulp :/

I will have my car back from the garage on wed/thurs so Friday is the BIG day.. the day I cut a hole in my car!!
Then the weekend should be fitting and painting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'll post up all the developments during the week. wish me luck!
Oh and any tips would be much appreciated.

if life was easy, everyone would do it.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 13-08-01 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

Hey all,

right it's monday and the story so far is...
I still don't have my car back from the garage but the building of the intake has come on in leaps and bounds..
I have chosen not to made the duct from fiber glass after all. I'm going to use 3mm sheet steel for the walls to the duct and use the bonnet metal that i cut out as the floor to the ramp. I will use a small bit of fiber glass for the rear edge of the duct to shape an aerofoil shape.

Next step.. cut out the metal for the side walls. This should be tommorows task.

I'll let you know how its all going then..
Anthony Raikes
Hi ,
i would love to know how you have been getting on with your Air induction system plus anthing else you've done with your car. I'll keep you in touch with how my project is going(1991 33s 16v 2wd)

AO Member
Last i heard of alfaNutter he was selling his alfa
I think he blew his engine frown
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

hey all.

Yep sold it in november. blew the engine (second one in a year!) and couldnt be bothered to fix it again.

as for the vent.. it worked.. but i never put it on the car as i used a grey bonnet and my car was red. i did do a few runs with the grey bonnet onthe car just to test out the vent and it seemed to work a treat.

I don't have an alfa anymore i now have a nissan sunny GTi-R. apart form being a lot faster than the perm 4 it is quite similar to drive.

my current project is carbonfibre bonnets.
I'm making them for people as a cool one off custom mod. i'm also going into making other carbonfibre products such as dash boards, wings, spoilers, wing mirrors and anything else i can think of i'm going to do my first kevlar bumper next week. should be cool.

even tho i dont have an alfa anymore i still keep an eye on you lot.. once you love alfa you cant stop

have fun..

AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Hi Alfanuterer. (sorry, couldnt help it)

Could U please enlighten me regarding the difference between carbonfibre and kevlar. I have always thought they were the same, and needed some very sophisticated high pressurized owen to be finished in, during a couple of days time.

Cheers Hoygaard

PS. I'm Sure U will get an alfa again sooner or later, once you're infected then .......
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 perm 4

they are just diffrent fabrics.
there are high presure methods of moulding and setting them but you can also do 'wet lay' just like fibreglass.
the kevlar is much less brittal but slightly heaver..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

begging , hole