Sud Front Brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Sud Front Brakes

Iíve just been doing some work on my Sud 105 QV front brakes. I was going to replace the fluid (recent pedal to the floor when hot suggested it needed a change Ė it hasnít got a leak) and as most know this is a bit of a nightmare Ė any tips on this would be gratefully received.

In the course of this, I notice that some of the pads were well worn so I decided to take them out. This all went very well except that when I released the pass side outer adjuster I got a fluid leak Ė this stopped as soon as I tightened the adjuster back up. I assume that Iíve got a faulty seal somewhere but I donít really want to replace it (and remove the caliper), as it doesnít leak when the adjuster is closed. Any views? If I do have to replace, is the offending seal part of the standard refurb kit for these calipers?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

2x Suds, 1x GTV

You need to check and replace as you could have found why your pedal went to the floor recently.
AO Member
County: Somerset
I have had calipers where this adjuster leaks, until tightened, it's a sign that your calipers will need a rebuild. Unfortunately the little o rings do not come in the rebuild kits, i ordered some similar size ones from an o ring manufacturer, can't remember who though. And haven't filled the system yet, so don't know if it worked. If some of your front pads aren't as worn as others, this indicates a stuck piston on that side, pedal to the floor could indicate you boiled the fluid with repeated heavy braking, which could happen if using old, water contaminated fluid. Hope that helps.
AO Member
County: Devon
Hi Alfanano, I've always used a gunsons ezibleed as I think it's better than the traditional way, but I can't get a seal on the resevoir of the sud. The ezibleed forces the fluid in through the resevoir using air pressure from a tyre. So I ended up getting the local garage to bleed them with a vacuum system as it was cheaper than buying the kit. And the pedal feel is now very good.
County: Nicosia
Alfanano, which ever way you want to deal with this matter, I would just like to remind you that eventually you will need to stop, one way or another.... it better not be the other way... if you know what I mean.

If you are planning on using your car, do a propper fix on the brakes, take the callipers off and take them to a pro for refurb.

Bleeding the brakes is the easy part, as long as you do it with the right sequence

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

brakes , front , sud