Trolley jack / axle stand placement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Trolley jack / axle stand placement

Where's the best points to use for the above on the front end of a Sprint? I have the car on ramps at the mo but want to remove both front wheels.

I would normally use the trolley jack at the rear suspension pick-up point, but I guess that's also the best place for the axle stands to go. Can I use the actual suspension arms or do I risk damaging them?

Thanks for any advice from you experienced Sudmechanics!

Sponsored Links
County: Nicosia
Mostro, what I always do is jack the car up all the way from the front crossmember ear and then place my stands left and right on the jack round points.

Then I lower the jack from the front and go side to side and lift it up some more from the suspension arm and adjust my stands higher.
Just have in mind that the suspension arm is very close to the jack ear on the body of the car, so the angle and position you put your stands is important !

Hope this helps
yep, agree with above. the front cross-member is a good jack-up point and as long as your jacking points are sound then put the stands under them.
i wouldn't jack up on the suspension arms thenselves (along their length) but the point where they meet the floor/bulkhead is ok for lifting
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 27-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
OK but...... because it is already on ramps, the front crossmember is already too high for the trolley jack and the front edge of the ramp is in the way of access to the jacking points...... I could back it off and start again but whilst I think the jacking points are OK, I rather not use them if there's an alternative.

I was looking for another solid point near the suspension arm pick-up point so that I could jack using one, whip the ramps out and lower onto a stand somewhere nearby. Also, would stands under the two suspension pick-up points make it too unstable since they're relatively closer together?

Sorry for all the questions, I've had to leave it on the ramps while we've been out visiting rellies this afternoon and I won't have much time in the morning to jack it up and whip the wheels off . Just trying to formulate a plan of attack in the meantime

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

axle , jack , placement , stand , trolley