I've been lurking around here for quit a while now so I thought it'd be decent if I'd introduce myself properly. I'm also to be found on regular basis on the dutch alfa forum (forum.alfaclub.nl) but I thought wt theck, why not go international as well
I'm Matthijs, now 28 years of age and 'playing' with cars ever since I was licensed to drive. Alfa's, mainly
It all started with a green series 3 33 1.3VL. Not the most special car ever, but for me it was of course! Drove it for 2,5 years and over 100.000km's (from 200k up to 300k!) until it met it's final verdict; apk (dutch MOT). Something 'new' had to come, and I bought something older actually; a champagne metallic series 2 1.7QV;
the QV when I bought it.
Unfortunately, it appeared to have been cheap for a reason; one week later some strange knocking noise I couldn't identify at the time suddenly came along when 'cruising' at a 180km/h on the motorway (I was just on my way to show my new toy to my girlfriend...) and seconds later it went out with a *bang* and never started again. trouble... but not for long! With the help of some fellow Alfisti a 'new' engine was soon found and ready to be swapped.
the neighbours loved it (not) but hey
I don't live there anymore
After that, the car soon prooved reliable and I took it to Paris, all over France, the Nordschleiffe, Spa, and even Madrid and back in a one weekend once. It was a fantastic car, throughout the time improved by mounting 'new' wheels, koni shock absorbers, lowered springs, the works. Loved it.
And then... came this terrible night somewhere winter 2003. A bit wet, a winding road, a bit to much speed and... having to choose between a big yellow Scania coming the other way or... a big concrete walkway followed by a rose garden and some trees. Of course, I chose the roses
Thanks to the roses, I'm now here - if I'd opted for the scania, I perhaps wouldn't live to tell.
For the car, it was it's funeral. Panel damage was minimal, but underneath a lot more had happened. Long story short; it was 45mm's shorter on the right side (wheel centre to wheel centre) then on the left. I decided to take the usefull parts off and scrap the rest
Then, after a sad period of driving a fiat panda 750 I finally found what I'd been looking for; a SPRINT! Engine-less (but I had the 1.7QV engine still laying around) and with "some" welding to do, but it seemed ok, for a sud sprint. I thought well, it's cheap, it looks cool, let's do that. Might take me 6 months, maybe a year, but it's fun, I'll learn a lot and I'll have a cool car again.
The sprint was collected
taken to pieces...
and there came the horror
And there was some more
but you'll have guessed so already!
So I then took it to a bodyshop for all the things I couldnt' do myself and for a fresh spray of red, as I didn't like the old colour (which also wasn't original btw)
A lot of effort later I got it back looking nice and shiny again!
Of course, by now it had taken a lot longer than 6 months already (longer than a year to, to be precise) so the faithfull Panda passed (it wasn't expensive at only 80 euro's) and along came other transport.
but don't worry, building up the sprint continued, be it slowly
beginning to look like a car already
I have had the interior renewed and covered in cognac leather
in the open air for the first time since long
and then, a few weeks ago... finally I thought it ready for a fresh apk (MOT). Counted my chances, crossed my fingers and drove it to the local workshop
AND I GOT IT!! She's good to go (well, legally, that is) until may 2010!
Status quo? Still a lot of things to do, fixing some minor electrics, bleeding the brakes (again) as the middle pedal still isn't 'hard' enough to my taste, new shock absorbers for the rear, having the carbs fine-tuned somewhere and a lot, lot, lot of detailing. But it's getting there!
For the first time since 1992 (!!) this car is roadlegal again.
1982 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5
now with 33 '89 QV 1.7 8v 118hp engine
33 16V front brakes
145 1.6 rear brakes (discs with handbrake)
koni yellow shock absorbers
savali 35mm lowering springs
supersprint 'spaghetti' 4-2-1 exhaust
custom made leather interior (based on original)
and not finished yet
Some pics of last week;
I feel a lucky man! Took me almost 5 years instead of 6 months after all, but I still think it was worth the effort. See you maybe on an event somewhere this summer!