Well, I did another hat-trick of shows last weekend (AI Brooklands, SpAD at Shuttleworth and the Stoneleigh kit car show), but my engine was running decidedly roughly as I approached Stones, and was just as uncooperative on the 125 mile run home again. On top of that my nearside front wheel is squeaking again (its that bent stub axle causing the disc to run out of true) and there's gearbox oil leaking from the offside halfshaft when I start pressing on...
I've just removed the carbs (again) and stripped them down (again) to find one of the jets blocked with crud. Job done, methinks - but no! The little roll pin that secures the offside accelerator pump cam onto the butterfly spindle has gone! Disappeared!!! So I made up a split pin to locate the cam, seemed OK at first but the nearside carbs are squirting before the offside ones, which makes the acceleration very lumpy... try again.
Second attempt (after removing the offside carb - again!!!) using a 3.2mm shank from a pop rivet is more successful, although there is still a little bit of play - reassemble the carbs, reconnect fuel etc. etc.
Much better this time, but had to adjust the pump lever locknut to take up the slack, and the weaker spring pressure means the offside carb is still not quite there. But the noticeable improvement has left me wondering just how long the carb has been in this condition
Next problem - now that I've found a way to lock down the baseplates on the K&Ns, they're fouling the throttle balance bar, so I took off the Series 2 steel adjusters and replaced them with a set of pop-on plastic ones from a Green Cloverleaf - with each end would in 2.5 turns I've got my clearance back.
Then there is the sticking throttle - the pushrod in the hydraulic cylinder seems to have worn and as you let your foot off the pedal, sometimes the throttles don't close unless you blip them. Not good - and I have dual return springs to make sure the throttles close too
So I am going to have to re-design the cylinder mount so I can get a better angle, which should improve the pedal feel as well (its very on-off at the moment, difficult to modulate). I've left that one for another day.
Similarly the drivetrain angle problem - after some careful measurements, it looks like my engine and gearbox are level with the chassis, but the chassis is running about 3° down at the front, and I can't lift the front without ruining the suspension and steering geometry and there's not enough clearance at the back to drop the ride height either
I tried lifting the front of the engine on a jack with the rear gearbox mounting bolts removed and the engine and box pivoted around the bellhousing mounting, but I'll be lucky to get 3° out of it, with clearance problems, so at best I'll be horizontal, and I need something like 3-5° nose up
That's what's causing the oil splats from the halfshaft - too much windage losses at the front of the box, and the worry of oil starvation around the main gear cluster
Sorry, just letting off steam... But short of forced feed oiling with an electric pump (semi-dry sump) I'm not too sure how I'm going to get out of this one
Then there's the canopy to replace, new windscreen to fit, new canopy hinges, sunroof panel to rework, new dashboard with proper location for heater/vents/telecam/instruments, bargraph rev counter to comission, new exhaust (in stainless would be nice), redesign the front uprights to correct the steering geometry and scrub radius, tidy up the bodywork and a full respray!
...Like I said, its a long list...