Horrid rear arches - advice please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

146 1.68v

Horrid rear arches - advice please!

My Gold Cloverleaf has been looking at me accusingly for the past five years - "PLEASE restore me".

Until earlier this week, I avoided the issue, mainly due to my hopeless welding skills. Then - inspiration! Why not use modern 2 pack adhesives instead. Spoke to a fair few experts who agree that the strength will be superior to a weld. (I know the MOT won't like it - but once properly filled they won't know!!)

So, refreshed and enthused, I set about sizing up the project. The front bits and sills are much as I remembered - lots to do but surprisingly good. Then, I started to poke about the rear arches. Horrid. Outer, inner, bottom of the inner and outer valance and even towards the linkage mounting point - all thin air.

Has anyone any views on a) the adhesive concept, b) a good way to go about things (I don't want to chop the remainign slivers of metal away before I have made a pattern for the new stuff) and c) should I give up and look for a good shell!

Looking forward to hearing yr collective wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Re: Horrid rear arches - advice please!

trouble is with the bonding idea, having something solid to bond to it will only ever be as good as what it fastens to.
same goes for welding.
no short-cuts i'm afraid
AO Member
County: Somerset

Agree with Kev, no short cuts, only welding will do. Should give you plenty of practice anyway. I honed my skills on a Hillman Imp!
AO Silver Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

post some pics of it please.
AO Member
County: North Aegean

I'll agree with the rest of the guys. You'll need to weld some parts, to make it solid and strong enough and at the rest of the surface you can use the adhesive. We are talking about arches, propably the most stressed parts of any car, espacially an old car and with the rust problem we all know Suds had. When i change a piece i use zinked metal (it's more diffuicult to weld ,especially with aged metal at the other side but dont want to see the same parts rusted again in a few years). Applying a layer of antirust paint (the orange one that is used on ships, dont know the term in english) and a paint like hammerite afterwards is a good solution. I diid that on mine 11 years ago and although until recently was used as an everyday car , i have no problems. Better to take a little longer to fix and make a better job, so you dont have to do it twice. Finding another shell is a sollution but untill you take it appart also, you dont know in what shape it is. Enjoy the process and take pics along the way.

alfasud sprint veloce

A 156 1.6

Last edited by jkb sprint; 10-05-09 at 07:21.
County: Nicosia

If I bought a second hand car, and found out that it had been superglued, I would have a heart attack !!!!!

What if your mixture isnt right or the glue has gone bad ? Then you will be like the flinstones car !
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Bells ringing here, making me remember the rusted through rear turrets on my HPE. Massive voids to arrive at sound metal after the rusted areas were cut away, but then plated the areas using 'spot through' and this was followed with some edge seam welding to get that MoT man to pass her. Best of luck, hope you get her sorted.:
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Sounds a terrible idea to me.

Your sud deserves better..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

advice , arches , horrid , rear