fitting an 145 gearbox to a 33 16v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 13-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

33 907 1.7 16V

fitting an 145 gearbox to a 33 16v

Good evening and greetings from Greece!.. I'm reading this (trully interesting) forum for several months without having to post, until now.
At the end of this month I am planning to fit an 145 boxer gearbox to my 1991 33 16v..

After a small research i made, i found out that the 145 gearbox has much better feeling in gear changes.

I also found out that it fits no problem (in fact there is at least one 33 here in Athens that works with 145 gearbox with no problems whatsoever- fortunately it belongs to a friend, unfortunately his engine broke down so i couldn't drive it to take a taste of that gearbox fitted in a 33...).

Trying to find the 145 ratios, i found these: 1st gear 3.545, 2nd 2.050, 3rd 1.323, 4th 1.027, 5th 0.854, final 4.111 . Are these ratios true?

With those ratios, the 145's gearbox has about 6-8miles less in 7000rpm in every gear, comparing with the 33's gearbox. I would like to have a little bit shorter gears, so if these ratios are true, i'll have another strong reason to fit it in my 33..

So, would it be better to replace my gearbox with 145's, or would it be better to keep mine and repair it (mine needs at least 1-2 synchs at present)?
Concerning that i would like to have better accuracy and feeling in gear changes, and also, if possible, a little bit "shorter" gears.

Looking forward for your thoughts, tips and knowledge!.. Dimitris.

Alfa Romeo 33 907 1.7 16v

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

145 , 16v , fitting , gearbox