my 33 just won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

permanent 4

my 33 just won't start

Evening people fellow 33 owners & super sud owners.
I've had my permanent 4 about a year now no probs until now, went out started her ran 4 about a minute then cut out, wouldn't re start, ah i thought dodgy gauge ran out of fuel filled her with the complete 5 litres turned the key started ran 4 approx 1 minute dead as a dodo, one thing that is going on is the electro coupling on the 4 wheel drive is going mad & clicking continually, any road up got my friend who is a very computant mechanic equipped with more testing equipment than i have ever seen, so he tested circuits from ecu, the ecu is operating the fuel pump etc etc, but no spark thus no ignition, we have scoured the 33 download manual all 2,500 pages, he wants to know, 1, has anybody had a similar prob, how did you remedy it ? 2, can anybody point us in the right direction, we are looking for the ignition control relay, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

1988 S2 33 GC

Re: my 33 just won't start

The electro-magnetic coupling constant clicking tends to be the first sign of a failing tooth mesh sensor (still available and easy to replace at the back of the gearbox behind the aluminuium propshaft tunnel).
As to no spark - check another lead - the flywheel sensor - might be an idea?
Regards, Paul.
AO Member

flywheel sensor gives up when it get hot
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 33 p4

say you had run out of petrol sometimes a gallon is not enough to prime the system - i`ve had this problem b4, buy another gallon and try that, if you are trying to start the car alot it should smell of petrol if a/ you have some and b/ your pump is working, if it does smell of petrol you defo have an electrical prob.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint