Boxer engine questions. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
Boxer engine questions.

Have a couple of wee questions re Sprinty

1- Oil pressure light on. Guage reading fine. If I dosco the sensor (the wire next to the oil filter) guage drops to 0 and light goes out. Where should I check next? Could it be a fault at instrument panel as sometimes the light goes out sometimes whilst driving.

2- Cooling fan on constantly. Again suspect electrical pixie. Any common faults to know of?

3- ALL fog lights inop. Eh????

4- Needs setting up accurately I know so this not helping, but No3 cylinder (RHS, rearmost?) seems to be running rich + I suspect the spark is weak. As with all the above is there any common trend I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help - again - in advance.

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Re: Boxer engine questions.

Burning the midnight oil tonight

Oil pressure switch in the middle of the block under the dizzy. Very easy to get hold of and swap out.

check the termoswitch on the rad. bout halfway down on the drivers side. its fairly common for this to be bypased if the engine has had an over heating prob. again an easy swap.

Cant help with the fogs. I hate electrics but if forced id go hunting for dodgy fuses/connections at the fuse board.

A good dialing in of the carbs is very hard to get right. I use a colortune but to do it right a vacuum gauge makes life much easier.

Hope you get it sorted mate, most are problems ive had very recently and were easy fixes

Last edited by Fluffyduff; 26-07-08 at 22:58. Reason: cant spell...
AO Member
Sud/Sprint/33 Lounge Winner 09
County: Cambridgeshire
Re: Boxer engine questions.

Regarding your oil pressure, my 1983 1.5 QV started to show zero oil pressure on the gauge, so i connected a mechanical pressure gauge into the engine and hey presto - 70psi. Motto - Never trust the dodgy electrical dashboard readings!! I would suggest that all your problems are electrically related. When i take my Sprint out of hibernation in the spring most of the gauges dont work, but after driving it for a couple of days, everything starts working again all on its own

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

boxer , engine , questions