Alfasud : Recomissioning req'd !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfasud Sprint

Looky Looky Alfasud : Recomissioning req'd !!

I am relatively new to this club but a true Alfa fan, currently having a 147 2.0 TS and a 1979 Alfasud Sprint 1.5. (and a Lancia Montecarlo !)

The 'Sud is a beautiful one owner car from new (30k miles) but needs recommisioning as it's been off the road for about 4 years now (just bought it).

The front calipers have seized, so I need to know TWO things : What is the best way of freeing them off - any tips or advice most welcome. If they cannot be freed off then of course they will have to be removed and reconditioned/replaced - can the disk & calipers be removed without removing the engine ? I am sure I have done so on an early 'Sud I had back in the 80's but a few garages have told me that it ain't possible (hmmmm....).
Secondly, as the fuel is stale and so has contaminated the tank, lines and carb, I am thinking about a recon. tank and fuel lines at the very least - any ideas on the best source of spares ? Any advice as to the best way to approach this job would be much appreciated.

Really looking forward to getting this pampered 'Sud back on the road.

C h r i s
Sponsored Links
Re: Alfasud : Recomissioning req'd !!

good luck with the project chris, calipers and fuel tanks are 2 of the common problems, along with severe corrosion post some pictures up when you can
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Yep, post some pictures please.

I have a 79 Sprint- they really are one of the prettiest cars Alfa ever made.

Can't help on your issues but whatever you do change the fuel lines! I had 2 go in two days each time spraying the engine bay with petrol!
AO Member

Member car:

Hi Chris, new here as well. Am starting my sud as well, so more than happy to swap knowledge/resources etc... Dont know about the sprint, but did the engine transplant on my 5M through the top. Surely as far as the calipers are concerned its drop the pipes, detatch the shafts and your @ the calipers ?? any way feel free to mail me on if you ever just wanna chat. Mark
AO Silver Member
County: -

yes what he said,
put the car on stands and disconnect brake pipework, undo driveshafts,
and discs and the caliper bolts are right there.

i know yu can get re-con or possibly re-manufactured calipers from a guy on e-bay for around 130 who i believe has a good reputation...

best of luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

alfasud , recomissioning , reqd