which fuel is best? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfasud l

which fuel is best?

I'm wondering what the best fuel is to use in my 76 single carb 1.2 sud? ive been told 98 octane unleaded, should i put the additive in fuel as well??
I'm still in a bit of a quandary over the reconditioning of the head, i'm told the stem seals were done but it really is smoking too much, and more advice?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Re: which fuel is best?

Hi Sydneysud - the Alfasud boxer engine was designed to run on 98 RON leaded fuel, but the alloy cylinder heads require hardened valve seats as a matter of course and this makes the seats less prone to recession when running on unleaded fuel.

There is really no benefit in putting in octane boosting additives if you run on 98 unleaded (I'm guessing you are in the antipodes, where you seem to be able to get 98 unleaded - over here its dropped a point), but it might still be an idea to use an anti-recession additive if you intend to use the car in the manner intended

Sometimes the engine will smoke if its been laid-up for a long period, but boxers can sometimes smoke for other reasons, such as a broken piston ring letting oil through etc.

One strange problem my current engine had was that one of the inlet valves was cracked. This caused considerable smoking from one cylinder bank. It was unusual in that the engine was brand-new, completely unused, but had been in storage for 20 years. Fortunately all the valves are the same for the single carb 1.5 Ti I was scrapping (cracked block), so I replaced the cracked valve and the engine gave up smoking! I still occassionally worry about another of the valves going the same way...

Alfanauts are GO!!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 26-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfasud l

ok thanks for that,
yes we have 98 here in oz, who knows how long for..
well who knows what my ailment is exactly, shall have to live with it for now..

AO Member

I have used both 95 and 97 rated fuel in my '78 1286 single carb sud and can't see, hear, smell, notice any difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint