ok im going to start a new thread here in search of an answer for my problems im having with my alfa.
last week the car has been playing up ever since i tested out the velocity stacks i had bought for it, i had put them on temporarily and had noticed a big decrease in power up past 5000rpm. so i left them on as i had to go to work that night and had no time to put all the standard gear back on.
whilst on the way to work the car exhibited problems as spluttering under light load every now and then, wasn't all the time only after i would start her up and go and whenever i sat in traffic and took off after a squirt of heavy throttle it would go away. as the night progressed it got worse did it more often and a more noticeable splutter, i was running low on fuel and i stopped at a petrol station to fill up, i was thinking it was gunk from the tank getting picked up and so on.
got home and left i overnight, next morning i took it for a spin and it was still doing the same thing, so i put all the standard gear back onto it and she was fine.
but even with the standard gear on with the filter it started doing it again to a point where it had lost alot of power and was spluttering all the time plus alot of backfiring and popping through the carb and exhaust. my uncle and i investigated and re adjusted the timing and idle mixtures with no success of a cure.
so from that point i had taken it to a carb specialist to see what he had to say about the matter, he compression tested cyl 1 and 2 with an overall psi of 125 average. he then suggests i have a tight tappet and it needs to be adjusted.
i then took it to another mechanic who is a friend of my cousins and he also had a look at it, tested the cylinders to find cylinder 2 not operating, sprayed a whole cans worth of carby cleaner into it and managed to get cylinder 2 back up again. we checked the spark set all the idle mixtures and we then tried the timing once again, with some small success after a few tries we managed to get it to stop its spluttering behavior but with a sacrifice of lost power once again at higher rpm. so me being silly and not driving it away like that i asked him to try it one more time at getting it right, bad idea, it started running like it was on 2 cylinders and i could barely reach 90kph.
his conclusion was fuel surging/starvation.
he couldn't work on it anymore after that as he had other customers cars he needed to finish up on before a deadline.
so i had a crack at finding out what the problem is on my own, earlier this morning i tried starting the car and it will not start at all on the rare occasion it did start it would die instantly, and if i somehow managed to keep her alive it would not allow me to rev the motor to keep it above stalling point.
i have taken off the fuel return/inlet pipes to see what kind of pressure it has, cranked the car checked the flow of fuel coming out into a bucket i had, all fine by the looks of things, plenty of pressure in the pipes to fuel the carbs. (so that kinda rules out the surging).
next i took out the main and idle jets and found fine metal shavings blocking off some of the holes,had to find out where those shavings had come from or else they might have kept coming back. cleaned them up and loaded the carbs and jets with carby cleaner (a whole cans worth.) with no improvement, from what i last saw when i took off the rocker covers the tappets and shims looked fine although im no expert on how to tell if something isn't right but none of them seemed to be out of line (ie less/more clearance than others)
then late this afternoon i dismantled and removed all bits and pieces from the carbies, checked floats valves gaskets accelerator pump and jets, and found the source of the mysterious metal filings, previous owner snapped the bolt off into one of the carbs doing a dodge spec fix drilling out the snapped off thread and using a small nut to make a new thread, so the long bolt could screw into that. if you can understand that sentence, a cookie for you.
so the drilling of the snapped off bolt thread caused the fillings to enter into the float chamber somehow, no s##t (excuse the language) about a quarter of a teaspoons worth. cleaned out the carbies/jets + all the other little bits with some petrol that i collected after testing fuel pressure and flow earlier. i refitted the carbs to the car after letting the carbs dry out after being soaked in petrol and so that all gaskets sealed up properly, went to crank it over once all was done and my battery goes dead after a few cranks. so now its on the charger for an overnight charge up and im waiting for the moment of truth when i can crank it over. (highly doubt any changes will occur for good, but more likely for worse).
only thing left to check is the valves and tappet clearances. hoping it isn't a burnt valve because i cant really afford to pay a mechanic top dollar (or pound for you guys) to get it all done or i couldn't be bothered to do it myself.
i hope the long boring read hasn't taken too much of your time.
a thanks to all who lend a helping hand in the situation.