1000 miles on - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Mark Alfa
1000 miles on

Well, I've now covered 1000 miles in the old girl so I thought I'd give a small review of ownership so far.

First of all a short story on why I bought it. I always had an idea I would like to own and run a classic Alfa at some point in my life. I first saw this Sprint at the workplace of Kevjtd (Kev being the previous owner of the Sprint) as I drove past in our works van. A couple of days later he put it up for sale, so I asked him if I could have a look at it before it was sold. At that point I decided that I would like to buy it. A deal was done and I picked it up at the end of September last year.

The Review

At first it did take me a while to adapt to it. Been so used to driving cars with powersteering that I found it a bit of a handful at low speed and the footwell being a little bit cramped but other than that the Sprint is a little gem. On the road the steering is nice and direct, it hugs every corner. The engine note is something special. It feels alive and willing. The exhaust note is sweet too. Just to hear it idling and rasping when you give it a slight poke of the accelerator is nice. The gear change great when the box is warmed up as it suffers from the common 2nd gear synchro wear.

Current Work Done

Nothing major really, just replaced the N/S/F indicator lens as it had a big stone chip in it. Also got a new N/S/R lamp lens to replace at some point.

The Future

I have some ideas at the moment. I've spoken to the guys BLS Automotive in Lincoln regarding a gearbox rebuild. Tom at BLS said as some parts are now not available it is best to track down a second gearbox, which I will do. Also thinking about a respray when I track down some new front wings. A stainless steel exhaust is on the cards and a refurb for the alloys, but the oil and filter change will be the first job done.

I intend to keep her for a long time. It's a great car so I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks again for the help I have received so far from you guys.
Sponsored Links
Re: 1000 miles on

nice review mark , pleased you are still happy with it
did say it would take some getting used to, but well worth it in the end
one day i will get my sud done and join you for a drive out
AO Platinum Member
County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

The Sprint is a great car... I look back on the couple of years that I owned one with great fondness...

Torque steer, dodgy inboard front discs, strange driving position.... but it went like shale off a shovel... it clung to the road like a limpet, went round corners like it was on rails and it looked the DB (how about that lot for mixed metaphors)...

I loved it

Yours sounds just as good

Lucky chap
AO Silver Member
County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Nice review Mark - and it makes me want to get mine up and running even more!!
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

widebody sud ti

good review mark ,i will be getting my sud tix moted in march so will be driving it soon.
AO Silver Member
County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Nice review and really nice car . Had mine out on the road for the first time in 12 months yesterday and it was so nice to get back into it.

Nothing quite like an old alfa
Mark Alfa

Thanks guys

You can definitely say the car has 'soul'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

1000 , miles