Sprint 6C build up - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #176 of 1863 Old 16-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.
Re: Sprint 6C build up

Thanks guys for the engine removal hints - I hope to do that next week.
Here is the picture of the front cross member in position. I have "notched" it for the gearchange rod but that will need welding and a plate bolting across the top to regain the strength. I will also be plating and welding it to the B pillars. The repositioned alternator can also be seen bottom left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C build 5 Silencer space and engine bay front 009.jpg (138.6 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kevjtd

great work mate looks like you are solving most of the problems

just occured to me looking at how tight space is with the engine in, did you change the cam-belts while the engine was easy to get to

(Post Link) post #178 of 1863 Old 16-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Kev
When I got the car I was told that the cam belts had been done within 15k miles and I checked them when the engine was out and they looked fine.......

kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Hi Kev
When I got the car I was told that the cam belts had been done within 15k miles and I checked them when the engine was out and they looked fine.......

AO Silver Member

Good point though - how would you get the engine and transmission out if you needed to? Can you drop the subframe out of the bottom of the car?

I can see that (like me) you are going to have to do a lot of your normal servicing from underneath! Seems to be a feature of mid-engined cars...

That top crossmember looks really sound - should brace the engine bay area nicely. Also leaves plenty of engine showing on top

Fantastic progress, as always. Good luck with the boxer engine removal - I guess you will keep the front subframe and wishbones and run the struts without the driveshafts? Should work OK, but you will probably need to re-rate the springs and don't forget to remove the anti-roll bar!

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
AO Silver Member

County: -

Nice job. I see you've gone for the 24v 210 bhp V6. If you put the bigger intake runners, you'll get 230bhp with no further modifications! This reminds me of some crazy guys who converted a 33 into a V6 monster. They kept it front wheel drive and basically attached teh 33 body panels onto a shortened 164 chasis. They even kept the 164 dash! Amazing machine but a rear engined Sprint will blow most things off the road!

Someone earlier on in the post quoted from a friend's Sprint website. Said website would love to feature this build once it's finished.

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.
(Post Link) post #182 of 1863 Old 20-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Lauren
I should be able to drop the engine from underneath - well it went in that way! There is actually quite a lot more space around the engine front and rear (especially as I have taken off the air con pump and pipes, power steering " gubbins" and pump, various idler pulley wheels and moved the alternator) for servicing. I have been working on a front cover for the engine bay and changing the gearchange UJ for the one that has the splined section.
I was also able to pick up a set of matching 13 hole 4 stud wheels and tyres from Veesix75 - Brilliant!! for the front of the car.
V6junky - I would be more than happy for your friend to use the build on his website.
AO Silver Member

Club Member

County: Cumbria

Just read this start to finish. What can I say, totally amazing work. Keep it up
(Post Link) post #185 of 1863 Old 21-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well more progress but first a pic of my front engine cover (no prizes for guessing what it came from!) and new front wheel!
I also no longer have a 4.5 litre twin engined Sprint, only a 3.0 litre rear engined one. The boxer came out with a combination of jack underneath and hoist above to keep it steady, so I used both removal hints - "Thanks guys - and gals" (pic 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build up 6 engine out 002.jpg (98.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build up 6 engine out 003.jpg (129.9 KB, 70 views)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Look like it was a 4.7 litre Sixnut, I think the boxer is a 1.7 unit!.
(Post Link) post #187 of 1863 Old 22-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Iain
It is an oddity engine - a 1.5 with hydraulic cam followers ( see earlier page 3 and 4 )
kevjtd

all coming together nicely mate wonder who will get finished first between us, my money is on you
or is that a conflict of interest

(Post Link) post #189 of 1863 Old 22-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Kev
It could be close - but I'm going to have to swap Sprints soon and defer the 6C . I need to put the 1.5 into the engineless Sprint, get it put together in reasonable condition with an MoT and then sell it . This will raise funds for the 6C , free some space , regain a degree of domestic harmony.......
kevjtd

Quote:
Kev
It could be close - but I'm going to have to swap Sprints soon and defer the 6C . I need to put the 1.5 into the engineless Sprint, get it put together in reasonable condition with an MoT and then sell it . This will raise funds for the 6C , free some space , regain a degree of domestic harmony.......

domestic harmony no, don't know that one

there is a guy on this forum looking for a sprint, NU2Sprinter? isn't it, give him a call, could help you both out

and my money is still on you

(Post Link) post #191 of 1863 Old 22-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hmmm well I've had a little play today and tried to fit the 164 petrol tank in the front of the Sprint - No way unless it goes on it's side! So that idea is out and I will have to look for another much more of a cube shaped tank.
Having failed with that idea, I then tried the 164 radiator ....and that is now fitted a treat into the Sprint. Two holes drilled in the top of the front trailing arm subframe locates the bottom of the rad and one (so far) bracket locates to the side - and the bonnet closes!
Club Member

County: Cumbria

Quote:
Hmmm well I've had a little play today and tried to fit the 164 petrol tank in the front of the Sprint - No way unless it goes on it's side! So that idea is out and I will have to look for another much more of a cube shaped tank.
Having failed with that idea, I then tried the 164 radiator ....and that is now fitted a treat into the Sprint. Two holes drilled in the top of the front trailing arm subframe locates the bottom of the rad and one (so far) bracket locates to the side - and the bonnet closes!
Right - after you've finished building this one for yourself, how much money do you want to build a second one for me?
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Why
kevjtd

could you fabricate an alloy fuel tank? i know getting an accurate fuel gauge reading would be tricky but cutting the shape out then even getting the alloy professionaly welded together shouldn't be so bad
unless you weld it yourself i know that different migwire is available for my welder to weld aluminium never tried it myself, but would be cool to make your own
and once you get to know the car you would know what range you have, so no need for a gauge or build in a reserve like on a motorbike

(Post Link) post #195 of 1863 Old 23-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Pud 237 In the words of the Barclaycard add - Priceless....I may be a masochist but not that much

fetta head - I fell in love with the concept of the 6C when I saw the pictures in the brochure that sold on e-bay - Also I enjoy engineering challenges

Kev - I've tried ally welding twice with my little welder and failed miserably. (I got my V8 manifold done professionally). I would like to use an Alfa fuel tank if possible, in a perverse way, to keep it as pure Alfa as possible.
Attached photo shows the rotten - non existant section below the windscreen (mentioned before). I keep the wing on so that I don't get depressed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build up 6 body rot windscreen 1.jpg (145.4 KB, 56 views)
AO Silver Member

That kind of pictures has given the rotten name in alfa's...
kevjtd

Quote:
Pud 237 In the words of the Barclaycard add - Priceless....I may be a masochist but not that much

fetta head - I fell in love with the concept of the 6C when I saw the pictures in the brochure that sold on e-bay - Also I enjoy engineering challenges

Kev - I've tried ally welding twice with my little welder and failed miserably. (I got my V8 manifold done professionally). I would like to use an Alfa fuel tank if possible, in a perverse way, to keep it as pure Alfa as possible.
Attached photo shows the rotten - non existant section below the windscreen (mentioned before). I keep the wing on so that I don't get depressed
ooohh, does look kinda bad doesn't it can see why you keep the wing on
at least most of it will be covered once the wing is back on , that screen surround looks a bit far gone though. shame that repair panel didn't look more closer
worth asking steve parry if he has a screen surround he might sell??

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Yeah thats the kind of picture I remember so so well

Good luck with the build, looks like its coming together. Are you planning to sand blast the complete shell before final build?
(Post Link) post #199 of 1863 Old 24-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

No work today but I've been reading the coilover thread on here, as I now need to lower the front of the Sprint. The easiest method will be to cut 1 (or 1/2?) a coil and return the cut end to the original profile by softening, bending and retempering. this will effectively stiffen the spring by about 20%. There is no antiroll bar fitted. Despite this not being an ideal solution I suspect trying to source a suitable set of lower springs may be difficult/impossible. Has anybody else done a similar job?
kevjtd

what about lowering springs for a 33? they must be available somewhere? think you may get dificulties getting it low enough without the weight of the engine to compress the springs?
sure someone will come up with a solution

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint