Sprint 6C build up - Page 71 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1751 of 1863 Old 06-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well back to the 6C as I have just spent this afternoon tinkering.
The thermostat housing and adapter plate beneath it had to come off to have one hole drilled slightly oversize to suit the M8 cap head bolt that has gone in where the thread has been retapped. That is all now reassembled and there are no leaks. I've refilled the water with some antifreeze so all is now ready for the winter. Running the engine also got hot water circulating through the radiator - finally!!
Then it was back to electrics..... My charging lamp had blown and I could not remember how I had wired it up ( the wiring is a bit of a rats nest now!) so I decided to try and use the Sprint panel bulb. I have a circuit to the Alternator (I had taken that off and had it checked when the cambelt was done). The bulb works in the panel when not in the car. However when the panel was connected in the car the battery bulb did not light - After working through the Sprint wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual (Pre 83 has colour codes, later Sprints have a different style diagram with no colour codes! Checking plugs and wires I've found that a Blue/Black wire doesn't have a switched 12V - but at the fusebox there is 12V on the Blue/Black wires. So there must be a break where the big bundle of wires goes through the bulkhead?
Then it started to rain and get dark so all has been packed away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
good news on the cooling issues Philip

one end of the bulb goes on the positive of the alternator and the other end goes on the small wire - i think it was green ?

I believe that if you can work that out with the sprint panel though, it will be better.
What if you discard the fuse box for now, and just take the blue black cable directly to the pin of the battery on the Sprint panel ?
If it works, just add a fuse
(Post Link) post #1753 of 1863 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

WoooooHoooo!
I've finally got a working dashboard in the 6C! Well I discovered why the Blue/black wire wasn't live - it connected at the rear screen heater switch to another blue/black wire, except that I had cut them off when I shortened the switch panel....... But that has been sorted and I now have a charging/battery lamp I then went back to the big plug that I had put in to connect the 164 panel and found the rev counter, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge, temp light and oil pressure light wires. These were connected to the Sprint dash and they all worked......Then I soldered all the joints, finished with heat shrink sleeving and put the panel back in place. And they all still work However the Rev counter is 50% optimistic 4 cylinder Sprint reading from a 6 cylinder engine! But I can take the rev counter up to 8,000 rpm!

AO Silver Member

County: Stirling
Great work Phil... I'll bet you are eager for springtime now
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

So your battery is charging now?

That's excellent work - well done

I used to have a similar problem with my Barracuda tach - it too read highly optimistic for a bog-standard 318. In my case it was the Mallory dual-point distributor that seemed to be the problem

Never fixed it though, because the Mallory was so good - dual points, adjustable mechanical advance and an adjustable vacuum canister too - I had that 318 purring like a cat, and running 14 more advance than factory stock without pinking...

Lauren
(Post Link) post #1756 of 1863 Old 08-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks Sprint and Lauren
Yes the battery is charging and the coolant is circulating and I have a new cambelt, good oil pressure and all electrics working so the 6C is Done!!
So - Yes I am looking forward to the Springtime - and Thanks to all the posters for their support on this forum.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Alfa 146 Ti

Have been reading this thread over last couple of days & would just like to say that I'm totally blown away with the dedication & execution of a job very well done. Lots of people say they're going to do something like it (myself included) but to see someone persevere & follow it through is awesome. Very well done
Unregistered

Roll on spring time! I Love it when a plan comes together
AO Member

County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Been reading this thread for the last 3 or 4 days from beginning to end, all 71 pages of it, and what an inspiring read. I envy the skill, the knowledge, the dedication, the courage...
What a great engineering work, and what a beautiful car it turned out. Amazes even more when we think about the small budget.
Congratulations, you are an inspiration.
AO Member

County: Fife
One for you if you don't aready have a copy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...item3f120220c2
(Post Link) post #1761 of 1863 Old 02-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks R Collie - I don't have a hard copy so I am now bidding!
Moneyspanker, Johnboy and RuiX8 - thank you for your appreciation. Having had so much support from so many people on here has been a real bonus to the build up of the 6C.
Happy New Year to all and I hope to meet some of you, during 2012, at events.
AO Member

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Gonna get myself one of those prints if they mail it to Portugal.
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Hi Alfasixnut

I came across your Sprint 6C project and find it quite interesting, as a matter of fact i was thinking of fitting a 2.6 v6 from a 156 in my 83 Alfasud, but i was wondering if this could be done without widening the wheel arches in front and without using a space frame.

I did some measurments on the sud's engine bay, and i think it can be done, if i had to cut out the centre bit that runs in the middle across the engine bay right back to the firewall, which should leave the engine bay looking like you could just about fit a v6 in there normally and then to fit/weld some engine mounts to the chassis to secure the motor

any advise on this theory would be a great help

Thanks
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981stallion. View Post
Hi Alfasixnut

I came across your Sprint 6C project and find it quite interesting, as a matter of fact i was thinking of fitting a 2.6 v6 from a 156 in my 83 Alfasud, but i was wondering if this could be done without widening the wheel arches in front and without using a space frame.

I did some measurments on the sud's engine bay, and i think it can be done, if i had to cut out the centre bit that runs in the middle across the engine bay right back to the firewall, which should leave the engine bay looking like you could just about fit a v6 in there normally and then to fit/weld some engine mounts to the chassis to secure the motor

any advise on this theory would be a great help

Thanks
mounting a bigger engine up front would involve a lot of fabrication. the bulkhead that looks easy to remove actually adds a lot of strenght to the car.

check this thread for inspiration, anyone heard much from eddie lately?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...lfasud-v8.html

(Post Link) post #1765 of 1863 Old 06-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi 1981 Stallion
As Kev says that front cross member is crucial to the strength of the Sud front end. If you are putting the whole subframe plus engine into the front of the Sud then I'm sure you would need to widen the front wings as the 156 track is greater than a Sud front track.
If you were to put the 156 inner wings onto the front of the Sud then the Sud shell would need a lot of reinforcement - complete multipoint roll cage in effect.
I have not done that with the 6C as it is effectively mid engined and the engine/transmission forces are distributed through the front and rear of the 164 subframe/inner wings into the Sprint shell - with its really strengthened sills (Also there was no roll cage on the original Autodelta road going 6Cs from the pictures that I have seen).
So to answer your questions - No - I don't think you can put the 156 engine in without widening the front wheel arches and No - I don't think you should do that without a spaceframe to strengthen the remains of the Sud shell.
(Post Link) post #1766 of 1863 Old 06-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi 1981 Stallion
As Kev says that front cross member is crucial to the strength of the Sud front end. If you are putting the whole subframe plus engine into the front of the Sud then I'm sure you would need to widen the front wings as the 156 track is greater than a Sud front track.
If you were to put the 156 inner wings onto the front of the Sud then the Sud shell would need a lot of reinforcement - complete multipoint roll cage in effect.
I have not done that with the 6C as it is effectively mid engined and the engine/transmission forces are distributed through the front and rear of the 164 subframe/inner wings into the Sprint shell - with its really strengthened sills (Also there was no roll cage on the original Autodelta road going 6Cs from the pictures that I have seen).
So to answer your questions - No - I don't think you can put the 156 engine in without widening the front wheel arches and No - I don't think you should do that without a spaceframe to strengthen the remains of the Sud shell.
(Post Link) post #1767 of 1863 Old 08-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollie View Post
One for you if you don't aready have a copy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...item3f120220c2
Well this went for 21.52 - but not to me in the end! Nice to know that 6C memorabilia has a good value though! I and RuiX8 would like to have a copy of the photograph if anybody knows who has bought it???
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice, its greatly appreciated
AO Member

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Too bad you didn't get it Alfasixnut. Would be perfect to put together with your 6C.
How about some nice prints of your own 6C to sell at meetings or on ebay ?
(Post Link) post #1770 of 1863 Old 30-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

The 6C has had a lonely time recently sitting in the garage with a weekly fire up to keep the oil circulating! But a plan has evolved and I will be picking up a towbar today to put on it - and then I will buy a trailor to be able to tow my various projects around without the hassle of hiring and borrowing!
I intend to remove the rear bumper to mount the towbar using the bumper mounting brackets but final details may change.
Unregistered

You'll be towing stuff with the 6C ?

Sounds a bit odd mate. Just a thought, but I think it would be better to do so with your honda instead
(Post Link) post #1772 of 1863 Old 30-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
You'll be towing stuff with the 6C ?

Sounds a bit odd mate. Just a thought, but I think it would be better to do so with your honda instead
Hi Chris
We now have a Mazda 3 Sport but the mention of putting a tow ball on it did not go down well!
The V6 is a torquey motor and being in the middle of the Sprint should make for a nice stable towing vehicle - making it more useful makes a lot of sense....
But I now have to get the 8V Sprint resprayed, Mot'd and Sold.
Unregistered

I've got a friend in Cyprus who is desperately looking for a Sprint.
His brother owns a car paint shop and he has the numberplates and documents from his old Sprint which he cannot register anymore.

Maybe it could be worth finding out if he would be interested bringing your Sprint as "spare parts", paint it and use his old number plates to register it ?
If it rolls, he could bring it with roro - will cost him about 630 euro for shipping and another 300 or so for handling and local taxes - would bring the price of it at 1000 Euro.

Would you be interested in selling it as it is ? How much would you want for it ?
Any rust issues ?
(Post Link) post #1774 of 1863 Old 30-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Chris
I will open another thread for the 8V Sprint
Unregistered

K mate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page