Sprint 6C build up - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

Re: Sprint 6C build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Hi Spacenut
Well I've not quite ditched the steering rack, I've stripped it and used the rack itself together with parts off the mounting area of the housing so it is now lighter, neater and dimensionally the same as before
That's fair enough, but as I said the position of the rack may have been more about convenience than good geometry, and you may need to tame some snap oversteer with this engine layout!

Quote:
I've also been working on the gearchange to extend the selector shaft forwards and attach it to the UJ shaft - however it will need to mount quite high up in front of the engine to reduce the angularity for the Push -Pull motion. This may well mean that I cannot use the Sprint tailgate as the glass comes down too far.....
Well, it was a nice idea, but I don't know how long the glass (or even Perspex) would last with all the exhaust heat from the engine - you really want a double-skinned firewall there if possible - it will also help to brace the structure

Quote:
Another job has been to add more structural supports - and yes I know my welding is like "pidgeon s..t" so I build in lots of redundancy!
Don't worry about it, my pidgeon poo welding is just as bad, looks like proper Italian construction

I bet the original 6C was thrown together with no less abandon, and you've been making fantastic progress with this project. It will be up and running before you know it!

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #152 of 1863 Old 07-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Yesterday was busy as I hired a welder to put in some thicker steel section for bracing and support. As you can tell I am also recycling cut out Sprint bits! (pic 1).
The front of the subframe sides (pic 2) will now need bracing to the door pillars but I will have a bit of a pause to catch up on domestics and build harmony prior to our day at MITCAR (- Not the Sprite but in comfort in the Civic I'm told!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build pics 3 001.jpg (125.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build pics 3 002.jpg (143.2 KB, 62 views)
kevjtd

looking good mate
don't worry about turning up at mitcar in a non-alfa , i will be going in the punto as my sud isn't quite ready
at least mine is italian though

(Post Link) post #154 of 1863 Old 08-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa302 View Post
Hi..I have been watching this with intrest and am looking forward to the finnish. I was just flicking through youtube and found a sprint with the engine in the back being thrashed on some wasteland I think they are italian and there are a couple the clips of the car with and with out the body, if you do not know about this then it may help with what your doing

try this link YouTube - sprint or check his profile..superdino33

good luck
Hi Alfa 302
Thanks for this link - it follows on from a previous one and is quite scary! It is very helpful as it does show the gearchange (just) which mounts quite high up to the back of the car above the tunnel. However the body has been modified so much that it is losing the "Sprint" appearance - what do others think??
kevjtd

Quote:
Hi Alfa 302
Thanks for this link - it follows on from a previous one and is quite scary! It is very helpful as it does show the gearchange (just) which mounts quite high up to the back of the car above the tunnel. However the body has been modified so much that it is losing the "Sprint" appearance - what do others think??
yep, very quick car, the turbo makes all the difference
but the bodywork don't really like all the scoops and stuff, loses the shape of the sprint too much
are you thinking of going down that route mate your car so your choice we will still like it anyway for what it is, a mad project

AO Silver Member

I agree - keep the original shape. After all, its what attracted you to the car in the first place.

Amateur restyling really can't compete with Guigiaro in his prime, and besides, with only minor widening of the rear arches required to cover the wheels you've got potential for a really great Q-car.

With most of the mass over the driven wheels it should hook-up nicely in the traffic light Grand Prix

Keep up the good work!

Lauren
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Garage

Quote:
Hi Alfa 302

Love the noise hate the front admire the engineering ciao daz
(Post Link) post #158 of 1863 Old 09-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The plan is to merely widen the rear arches and rework the rear panel/tailgate as per the original 6C. All the other panels will remain Sprint. The rear side glass will be fixed to the outer part of the frame.
Although there is still LOTS to do I am thinking about colours now - whether to keep it Silver, go Black (Keep looking at pic of Baldies Sprint!), go red as per 6C, or something different?? Any ideas gratefully recd.
Also I am interested to know who else has been following my automotive adaptation - so if you haven't posted anything yet, please let me know what you think.

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 09-08-08 at 07:50.
AO Silver Member

Yellow.
Not one of those wishy washy sun faded ones but a proper, bright, Abarth? type yellow.

rsfruitbat
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Yellow rules, my first car was yellow, never lost it in a car park!!!
Only just got into this thread, nice to meet you at mitcar and learn of such an insane but worthy project. Keep up the good work!!
kevjtd

yellow, like this sud at mitcar day
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/CIMG3099.jpg
is a bit different but think it suits the sud really well, another of my favourite ones although they all seem to be my favourite

AO Member

County: Jönköping

WOW! Philip you have come so far with your 6C project. I haven't touch mine for many years now (I really must find a work and place to live closer to my workshop, so I can spend more time to all my loved cars)

I'm really looking forward to see the result

Good luck man!
AO Member

Hi philip nice to meet you at the weekend,car's looking good, i still say you should think hard about front arches look at pic's of the 6c it looks great, the track on the 164 is wide and with standard 164 wheels you will require wide arches, my sud runs 9" rears and i made
8" arches, i think it may look a little unbalanced with no arches at the front, it will look good whatever you do. Mick.
AO Silver Member

How's about that nice metallic green that the Series 1 Suds used?

Hehe - couldn't resist suggesting green

I like high impact colours, and most of my cars to date have been painted accordingly - Big Orange, Top Banana, the Fish (orange again), Green Machine...

I think colour choice is pretty much unanimous so far!

Lauren
(Post Link) post #165 of 1863 Old 12-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks all for kind words and colour comments Hmmm .....Yellow.......
Anyway I've made progress on the gearchange with much cutting and extending of rods (as can be seen on pic 1). I've used only one U/J in the end, where it will be just above the gearbox, and then the selector rod has a long straight run to the gear lever. This has minimised the angularity for the push pull motion. Put in place (pic 2) and it works but there is no way I can use the Sprint tailgate as the thermo acoustic barrier - so I'll be looking for an alternative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C build 4 Gearchange 001.jpg (145.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 6C build 4 Gearchange 002.jpg (123.1 KB, 52 views)
AO Silver Member

Ah - I see; one rod is used to change gears and the other one is the support rod for the remote control to keep the engine/gearchange relationship stable. Its looking very promising, with only a minor increase in centre tunnel height to conceal it. More staggeringly rapid progress!

The tailgate window was a nice thought but wasn't really a runner - especially if the tailgate surround was being asked to cope with the torsional movement of the structure, the glass could have easily cracked. Better to put in a solid bulkhead spanning the B pillars, but there's no reason why you need to cover the top of the engine (in fact its better for cooling if you leave it exposed) so with a large plastic window to separate the occupants from the engine (leave the rear quarterlights open to the outside via a set of louvres where the tailgate was) you will still get a good view of those EFI manifolds in the mirror!

Lauren
AO Member

Thumbs Up Re: Sprint 6C build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
How's about that nice metallic green that the Series 1 Suds used?

Hehe - couldn't resist suggesting green

Lauren

or that lovely cream they used to paint suds

its an alfa its got to be red
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Yes the front is a bit much it looks like he tried for the Enzo look, Glad to hear the vote for yellow but instead of in yer face yellow how about something more chilled with black trim like below.
keep the details comming on the sprint.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 01.jpg (48.8 KB, 28 views)
(Post Link) post #169 of 1863 Old 12-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Alfa 302
Alfasud V8ti...... bonnet scoop.....flared arches!!
You wouldn't have a Ford 302ci V8 in the front driving the back wheels would you??
How much is left to do? Looks very neat and the colour scheme is good. How have you done/got your arches, are they steel or fibreglass?
I've been welding the old front cross member from the 164 across the B pillars to increase the torsional rigidity and hopefully prevent engine ingress into the passenger area! I've also re-positioned the alternator where the old air-con pump was, so I now need a shorter poly-vee belt.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

yes a 302ci RWD, the arches are from sheet steel and took almost a month to complete to primer stage. There are some pics under my prifile, its almost done just have some interior bits to do and tune up engine and set suspension.
looking at your pics i would link your subframe into a multi point roll cage and strengthen the surrounding floor, the belt should be simple just take a piece of string and wrap it around the pullys tape it together and take it to halfords or a well stocked motor factors and get them to match it, just by chance my best match turned out to be an alfa 75 fan belt.
hope this helps.
Eddie
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa302 View Post
yes a 302ci RWD, the arches are from sheet steel and took almost a month to complete to primer stage. There are some pics under my prifile, its almost done just have some interior bits to do and tune up engine and set suspension.
looking at your pics i would link your subframe into a multi point roll cage and strengthen the surrounding floor, the belt should be simple just take a piece of string and wrap it around the pullys tape it together and take it to halfords or a well stocked motor factors and get them to match it, just by chance my best match turned out to be an alfa 75 fan belt.
hope this helps.
Eddie
very nice car

(Post Link) post #172 of 1863 Old 13-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Alfa 302
Nice pics on your profile -That certainly is a great Sud Eddie - I am building a lot more strength into the Sprint bodyshell and thanks for the advice on the vee belt.
Lauren
I was intending to have a frame around the tailgate and it hinging at the top for access and no stress on the glass - however I shall go round a car park with a tape measure to find a suitable smaller version - the engine will be on show for sure!!
(Post Link) post #173 of 1863 Old 16-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

More fiddly bits done - mainly at the front getting ready to drop out the 1.5 engine - I intend jacking the front up and lowering the engine. I've not done one before so the Haynes manual is getting grubby as I keep checking it!
This will allow me to mount the gearchange at the front - but I've goofed and used the wrong U/J! I used the top one welded in so it is a complete one piece unit, I will need to use the joint that splits with the old splined section welded to the gearchange rod so that I can split the unit for adjustment and replacement through the bulkhead.
At the back I couldn't resist trial badging! (I need a C!)
But also thinking about silencer arrangements
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C build 5 Silencer space and engine bay front 008.jpg (106.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 14-11-09 at 05:39. Reason: 2 Pics removed -See Gallery Pics
AO Silver Member

Looking absolutely fabulous.
What about buying an 8C badge
Do you think you will get enough ground clearance with the exhaust manifolds?
Taking engine out from below is a doddle. Just make sure you have the the car lifted high enough. I just use normal car ramps.
I put the jack right at the front of the gearbox. Engine comes down at an angle, with suspension out of the way and once it is sat on the jack the tailshaft lowers. Its then sat on the sump on the jack and easy to pull out and move around.
This project is something I have fancied having a go at myself but never got round to it.

Best of luck

rsfruitbat
AO Member

We use a hoist to lower the engine down onto a trolley and then use the hoist to pick up the car so could pull the engine out - didn't have a bloody great V6 in there though...
Looking fantastic keep up the good work and telling us about it.
KR James

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint