Sprint 6C build up - Page 68 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
Red wire should have 12.5 Volts with car turned off.
The green wire is the one which gives a load to the alternator causing it to charge.
The alternator is grounded simply by been bolted on the engine.

If your green wire is not connected to the lamp on the dashboard, there is no load, so it wont work with it.
The lamp is whats giving the load to the alternator.

If you have the red wire connected to the alternator and the green wire NOT connected, the pin on the alternator where the green wire should be, will measure as ground ! ( one end of your tester on 12v and the other on the pin of the alternator where the green one should be - will light up the lamp of your tester )

Now you need to give it a load to start charging.
If your tester is a LAMP tester and not a LED tester, you can leave it like you put it before ( light of tester should be on ) and start the car. Then the light should go off ! If it doesnt go off, its not charging and thats the alternator's fault.

If you dont have a lamp tester, use the lamp I gave you last time we met and connect it in the same way.

This is the same thing we did last time and it didnt start charging. Be careful while carrying out this test, not to short anything. If you short the circuit while doing this, even if your alternator is good, its bye bye alternator.

Is it the same alternator as last time ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #1677 of 1863 Old 30-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.
Hi Chris - thanks for the detail and yes it is the same Alternator
Unregistered

No problem

Phil, that alternator doesnt work mate. Do you have a spare one ?

If you dont, you must change the rectifier on the one you've got on now.

See this link
Bosch_repair

You are interested in the first two pictures only. Make sure you buy the correct rectifier and the original one. Over here that one is about 30 Euro from bosch.
(Post Link) post #1679 of 1863 Old 04-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I've now discovered that the Alternator can be removed - just!! without dropping the engine out.....and it is now with an "Old school" auto electrician to be checked out and repaired. He is also looking to see if there is a possible alternative which is physically smaller but with the same mountings. It could have a lower output as there is much less electrical load on the Sprint.
Unregistered

Good job

once this issue is out of the way, you will be able to start enjoying your 6C without the need to carry spare batteries and charges with you all the time ! Plus your cooling fan will run faster and cool the engine down faster
Unregistered

Philip, I was just thinking ... scary I know, but it happens

Its a good opportunity now for you to make sure the alternator will work with your current wiring !

First of all, even with the repaired alternator, the car will still not charge because your battery lamp on your instrument panel never went on in the first place !
I'm actually worried that if there is a short circuit in the simple wiring to get the alternator charging, it will damage your rebuilt alternator again as soon as you put it back on !
This might be what fried it up the first time !

So, in order to prevent this from happening, it would be wise to do some simple tests to make sure the circuit is good.

To take things from the top, first you need to remove your instrument panel and turn it so you can see the lamps at the back.
Find the battery lamp and follow the line on the green circuit plate to the wire on the connection plug.
You need to make sure that one of the two ends of the lamp circuit goes all the way back to the thin wire of your alternator.
I cant remember what colour that wire is on your car, but let just say its green.

Using a multimeter that buzzes when a circuit is closed, touch one pin of the multimeter on the connector that goes directly on your alternator, and the other tip on either side of the lamp on your instrument panel, to make sure that that wire is going where it should be !

Be sure to perform this test with the battery disconnected and with the end tip of your "green" wire NOT CONNECTED ANYWHERE ! Make sure its not touching ground either.

If thats ok and your multimeter buzzes, half of the job is done !

Now its time to connect the battery back on and turn the ignition switch to ON position.
This time you have to make sure that on the other pin of the lamp on your instrument panel, you get 12v when you turn the ignition on !

Only three things could be wrong with your circuit !

1 - The green wire does not go from your instrument panel to the alternator or its shorted with 12v at some point. - In this case you need to pull a fresh piece of wire from the instrument panel all the way back in order to connect it to the alternator ( worst case scenario )

2 - You dont have 12v on the other pin of the lamp when you turn the ignition to ON position - This is simple, just cut the wire that directs to that pin from the instrument panel and give it 12v when ON.

3 - You have both the continuity to the green cable all the way back and 12v on the other end of the lamp but the lamp never goes on - The lamp is blown or its not making good connection on the instrument panel circuit plate.

To be ABSOLUTELY sure that your alternator WILL work after you put it back in, if you touch the green wire on ground anywhere in the engine bay or on the engine itself and turn the ignition ON, the lamp MUST go on ! Even with the alternator off the engine.

....I think I took this issue a bit personal :lol

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by Supercharged16v; 10-10-11 at 08:45.
(Post Link) post #1682 of 1863 Old 04-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks Chris
I will be checking the circuits as you describe BUT my problem is that I am using the 164 dashboard - and it has 6 plugs with 64 wires going in!! there is the green wire to the battery lamp but there are three 12V supply wires - two are switched by the ignition. Also I cannot trace the dash wiring as it is in a double sided PCB........Still I will use my Multimeter and double check everything.
Unregistered

in that case, just put your multimeter on the lamp's pin and then on each of those 64 wires so that you can find out which is the wire you are interested it
(Post Link) post #1684 of 1863 Old 07-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well the alternator has been reconditioned and is now back in the car. The missing green wire to the dashboard has been found, extended and I will be rechecking and connecting up tomorrow.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Fingers crossed, I hope it works
Unregistered

come on Philip, give us the good news
(Post Link) post #1687 of 1863 Old 08-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Bloody Electrics!!!
Now there is an alternator lamp that lights up when the ignition is on - and it goes out when the engine fires - then comes back on dimly despite revving the engine........................
Now............. I'm going on holiday for 6 days
Unregistered

That means that your connections are now ok mate, but you either need to check your engine grounding or the alternator wasnt fixed properly.
Check the battery with the multimeter, see how many volts it gives out. It should be 13.8v with a full battery, but anything over 13v is fine.
You are almost there

Have a nice holiday
AO Silver Member

County: -
Yes , it works now but has performance issues. At least this is some kind of progress....
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Just got my AROC mag
Nice to see the 6c in photo's (would be better in real life though as I haven't seen it yet)
Thing is though Alfasixnut
How did you manage to condense your build into 2 pages - including 9 pics!!! when there are over 1600 posts here
Like the "thanks" to Alfaowner - sud,sprint and 33 forum
Keep up the good work (and try and "big it up" next time )
Hope to see you and the 6c soon
kevjtd

got my mag today too, sneaky phil you kept that quiet

see you sunday

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oui4824 View Post
How did you manage to condense your build into 2 pages - including 9 pics!!! when there are over 1600 posts here
I expect the editor probably had something to do with that. In fact, its heartening to see that Phil got the 6C in at all, given AROCs obvious bias towards moderns and 105 series...

Bitter? Me? Well, maybe just a bit

I ought to write up something about the Green Machine and try and submit it, I've just paid out 40 for another years subscription, might as well try and get my moneys worth...

Lauren
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
[QUOTE=Spacenut;4084771]
I ought to write up something about the Green Machine and try and submit it, I've just paid out 40 for another years subscription, might as well try and get my moneys worth...

Send it to the 156 register they have plenty of unused space
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oui4824 View Post
Send it to the 156 register they have plenty of unused space
Sounds like a plan
(Post Link) post #1695 of 1863 Old 16-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well the 6C is taxed, insured and MoT legal so ready to roll. I expect to get to Duxford around 11 so please save a space for the Gazebo in our little boxer area (if we are allowed to?) Looking forward to meeting up with friends new and old.

County: Bedfordshire
Hi Phil & Co,
it's coming to the season of show & shine once again - hope to see you at ours for the Classics at The Sharnbrook on 8th May or 5th Annual Beds Italian Car & Bike Day on Sunday 26th June!

Welcome to The Sharnbrook Hotel

Hope to see you there!

Ciro
(Post Link) post #1697 of 1863 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the invite Ciro - I cannot make the June meeting as I will be doing a "Rover Racers Reunion" at Shakespeare County Raceway but I will try to be at the the May meeting.
Needless to say the 6C provided fun on Saturday. When I returned from filling the petrol tank I noticed a water leak underneath. It was a split in the curved rubber pipe to the radiator between two straight steel pipes. I had to take the side window out - to get the steel pipe free from the engine end -- to get the rubber pipe out! Then I couldn't get a similar rubber curved pipe, only a straight section. I tried various combinations but ended up having to weld up a 45 degree elbow in the steel pipe and using two straight rubber sections to link it all together together. But draining all the water out meant that I again had air locks and the water was not circulating to the radiator - hence the overheating problems.
I am going to remove the thermostat and also get an extra vent pipe put into the heater hose - leading to the front expansion bottle - as I saw that on the cars at Duxford and I've not got that!
It was good to meet up with lots of Sud, Sprint and 33 owners and it was great to get the Sprints lined up when the Suds went off for their Photo Opportunity.
Unregistered

How was it battery wise Phil ? Did you need a spare one or did charge by itself ?
(Post Link) post #1699 of 1863 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
How was it battery wise Phil ? Did you need a spare one or did charge by itself ?
Hi Chris
I have used your bulb direct to the green Alternator wire and it comes on with the ignition .... and goes completely out when the engine is running - so I think that is a problem solved
Unregistered

FANTASTIC !!!! ))) One thing less to worry about

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint