Sprint 6C build up - Page 54 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1326 of 1863 Old 12-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Just as a sideline
here is a "youtube" link to my other recent project - how eco friendly can we be?
YouTube - Bedford "Highvoltage" Electric Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
What ? No rubber burning ??? lol

Philip, I was actually wondering.... did you sort the front cv's issue ? I got a bit confused with that part !
Also I know you bought a new few tank but again I cant remember if you installed it or not !

.... just trying to see how far you are from the finish line
(Post Link) post #1328 of 1863 Old 15-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

As an update - I've got the new fuel tank but it needed Aeroquip style fittings which I couldn't source locally. However today I called in at RGS (who sorted out the silencers) and I now have the correct fittings so I can get the tank and fuel lines sorted.
The 164 dash panel has the wiring extension done and now needs a multi- plug connecting in to the Sprint panel wiring ( 7 wires) then that can be refitted. But the Sprint wiring is a bit variable at present......
I have one front hub with the stub axle refitted to hold the bearings in place - and I have another stub which I need to remove from it's hub and put it into the 6C hub....but I need a BIG secure vice to hold it to undo the hub nut!!
Then it is refitting the trim, rear bulkhead,gearchange rods, seats and centre console etc.

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
..but I need a BIG secure vice to hold it to undo the hub nut!!
Philip, AIR GUN !!! Trust me, they wont come off that easily once they are stuck. Borrow one from your local tire service shop, or take it with you and ask them if they can loosen it for you.
Mark Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Philip, AIR GUN !!! Trust me, they wont come off that easily once they are stuck. Borrow one from your local tire service shop, or take it with you and ask them if they can loosen it for you.
Air gun for sure. The nuts on my shafts came off very easy with using one

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

156, Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Alfa View Post
Air gun for sure. The nuts on my shaft came off very easy...
Sounds painful!
(Post Link) post #1332 of 1863 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lfa_male View Post
Sounds painful!

Well I've got the new fuel tank and fuel pump in place, and plumbed in, so took the opportunity to run the engine again to give me some inspiration.....But my car work week has been turned into a room redecorating week....
(Post Link) post #1333 of 1863 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well the Air Gun has got the nut off - Thanks to the fitter at Central Tyres Wellingborough! No time to do any more now for the week ....
Unregistered

I think we all need to have a word with your mrs !
(Post Link) post #1335 of 1863 Old 26-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Odd little bits done to get the fuel tank in place with suitable straps, at present the fuel return line runs in at the top, but I may end up using the other bottom fitting. I've also been repositioning the expansion tank - but I'm still not 100% convinced........ The main pipe runs also need repositioning. Lots of fiddly jobs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feb 25th 005.jpg (136.0 KB, 41 views)
Unregistered

Looks good enough to me Although I would reposition the fuel pump from the floor panel to avoid vibrating sounds inside the car
(Post Link) post #1337 of 1863 Old 28-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

A good days progress - finally.
The stub axle is now installed so both front hubs have their bearings secure. I then went to replace the brake pads only to discover that my new Sprint 1.5 pads are the wrong size! My 1.5 Sprint donor is a real oddball as it had the 1.7 style Hydraulic tappets and evidently 1.7/33 front hubs and brakes......Anyway I then did a bit more replumbing and the front under bonnet looks a lot neater.
Onto wiring and the new extended 164 loom is running inside the care with the ignition switch functioning, fuel pump connected in and some new fuses in place - and the motor still runs!
kevjtd

really good progress being made phil , all the detials are what takes the time and you are doing a great job, keep at it, we NEED to see you & the car DRIVE to events this summer

any major hurdles to overcome now? you seem to have everything in place

Unregistered

I would think the accelerator pedal is still incomplete and some more wiring needed to be done ?
(Post Link) post #1340 of 1863 Old 28-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Chris is correct! but there are several other jobs as well..........- but I have another problem..... the black wire from the Sprint ignition switch (for the starter solenoid) goes into the loom and through to the front - but I cannot find where the wire comes out of the loom to go to the Starter solenoid - and I need to find it, to splice to the 164 loom (I could cut and splice the wire before it goes into the loom but I would prefer not to).
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfasud V8

Dig deep Phil, its in there somewhere, I had these problems when I moved mine inside the car and found 3 wires that were jointed deep in the loom from the factory and went in one colour and came out another do you have a target date for completion?
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Chris is correct! but there are several other jobs as well..........- but I have another problem..... the black wire from the Sprint ignition switch (for the starter solenoid) goes into the loom and through to the front - but I cannot find where the wire comes out of the loom to go to the Starter solenoid - and I need to find it, to splice to the 164 loom (I could cut and splice the wire before it goes into the loom but I would prefer not to).
Usually thats attached to a relay, so check your relays first
(Post Link) post #1343 of 1863 Old 13-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Update - I've found the missing wire to the Sprint starter solenoid but I'm now in a puzzle (- Again!!) does the ignition switch put a Ground (0V) to the solenoid or does it connect 12V to the solenoid?? The 164 needs 12V so I bet the Sprint is 0V......
I've been tidying and sorting ---- and trying to bleed the clutch. Last year I put a new 3m copper tube to the back and it takes a Lot of fluid to fill and get the air out!!!
Unregistered

The starter on the Sprint originally was grounded via bolting it onto the engine - the grounding of the engine itself is on the bracket held by the starter's bolt !
Then it has the thick 12v cable that comes directly from the battery and a link with a 2.5mm cable that went to the starter. Some of them also had another 2.5mm cable that gave 12v to the instrument pannels as well.
Then ofcourse is the start cable, the black one, that closes the circuit on the solenoid so the starter can... start !
I hope this helps...

Re the bleeding of the clutch, dont bleed it with the normal bleeding bolt. Remove it completely and close the hole with your fingure. Then have someone pumping the clutch from the inside SLOWLY. Its much faster that way and easier
kevjtd

i'm pretty sure the wire to the starter solenoid will be a 12V supply once the key is turned, not a switched aerth type one so you should be ok

had trouble on something years ago bleeding the clutch, can't remember what it was now but i got round it by filling a clean oil can (the little pump type ones you use to lubricate stuff ) with fresh brake fluid and pumping it through the pipes via u short rubber hose, that filled up the pipework and slave cylinder pretty quickly and made the final bleed easy, no pipes full of air stopping progress

(Post Link) post #1346 of 1863 Old 13-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks Chris - I didn't know if the starter solenoid took its 12V from the starter and had a separate Earth via the ignition Start position. Only when I tried the ignition start position it didn't light a lamp so I thought it was an Earth after all - I will try again.
I have been using the finger method - and it is just possible to do it single-handed with the mid engine - but it is such a long pipe I need to buy some more brake fluid!!
AO Member

County: -
I may have lost the plot ,but is not the dash charging light servrd by the alrenator via green wire and
AO Member

the circuitboard connector G 151.pin 13
On the 164 there is a black wire from the starter inhibitor relay 11o giong to the same pin on the other half of the big round connector.A black wire from the
AO Member

It is a black wire that links this relay at pin 87 to the starter motor .and a red wire from pin 30 of the relay to the battery via the circuit board G56 on the bulkhead.
The wire between starter and G56 is black and between starter relay and instrument panel is purple or purple and black
Clear as mud ? Hope it helps you find a home for the loose black wire,
(Post Link) post #1350 of 1863 Old 18-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks YoungAlf and Kev - I should be able to sort out the car finally in a weeks time over Easter. I feel like its been no progress for Months - which is basically true for all sorts of reasons - but the 6C will be up and about this year!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page