Sprint 6C build up - Page 53 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

kevjtd

at least this one claims to be for an alfa, that will be in keeping with staying on alfa parts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-petrol-FUE...item3ca1182c42

would guess any in-line fuel pump will do? they all operate at high pressure. do you have a fuel pressure regulator at the engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
the stock fuel pump of the 33 is crap !
took me a long time to figure it out !

Use a Bosch Competition fuel pump Philip. I use it on my 33 and I have constant 4 bar fuel pressure on full throttle and 3.5 bar on idle .
I know this because I was running with the pressure gauge stuck under my windscreen wiper for a week when we were doing the mapping.

The problem with the stock fuel pump is that its not fast enough when you put your foot down fast. plus it doesnt have the pressure of the competition pumps and it gets tired after a while and starts humming
AO Member

Are you using the stock fuel pressure regulator? I have a milder setup than yours, 10.5mm and 240 degree cams and 10.5 compression, i'm interested on the fuel pump issue as I might need to upgrade mine...

Unregistered

I'm using the stock pressure regulator for now. It seems to be up for the job anyway so no point in changing it
AO Member

Excellent, sorry I did not mean to hijack the thread, just another little question, do you remember the bosch part n for the fuel pump?
Unregistered

sorry I dont I'll have a look and let you know
(Post Link) post #1307 of 1863 Old 22-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well I've just got home and my new fuel pump has arrived - I ordered it late on Wed! It is a standard Pierpoint pump for V6 Alfas, Porsche 928 etc and is rated for engines up to 250 hp - as I am not doing track days and only want to "pootle" about I'm sure it will be fine. I have also ordered the 5 gallon "dragster" style fuel cell from "Rally Design" so hopefully the system will prove to be non leaky and even safer.
Unregistered

those fuel tanks are definately up for the job Philip
You''ll need to fabricate new brackets to hold it in place though , but I'm sure thats the least of your worries right now
AO Member

County: -
Those of us of the right era will be reminded of the name Pierpoint on the new fuel pump.Sixnut himself no doubt.
Roy Pierpoint was a succesful British Racing Driver from the Sixties whose wins were mainly in the RAC British Saloon Car Championships.I am not aware that he ever drove an Alfa in competition..I believe he is still alive.
(Post Link) post #1310 of 1863 Old 26-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Young Alf is quite correct and I actually saw Roy driving a fearsome 4.3 v8 rover (2000 shell) at Mallory in the early 70's which possibly started my interest in that engine.....
Anyway I have been making progress, albeit slowly, and getting some instrumentation working - but 2 bar oil pressure without the engine running is not too informative....
Unregistered

The weather should be a bit better next week Philip so more progress can be done
(Post Link) post #1312 of 1863 Old 26-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Guess what arrived today.... ?
And it looks so nice and will fit a treat - now to get the correct fittings and hose. The pump is on top of the inner wing as well. I will be mounting it next to the tank outlet at the bottom when I have sorted out the tank brackets
PS renewing my AO membership has given me another 20MB of file space - so more pics to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elec Car Jan 21stth 2010 017.jpg (132.9 KB, 31 views)
AO Member

County: Port Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Well I've just got home and my new fuel pump has arrived - I ordered it late on Wed! It is a standard Pierpoint pump for V6 Alfas, Porsche 928 etc and is rated for engines up to 250 hp - as I am not doing track days and only want to "pootle" about I'm sure it will be fine. I have also ordered the 5 gallon "dragster" style fuel cell from "Rally Design" so hopefully the system will prove to be non leaky and even safer.
I like the idea of the 'dragster' style fuel cell But where are you going to fit it? Is it going to the front?
AO Member

County: Port Louis
OK I guess the question and its answer were being posted at the same time
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
i think the best thing about that tank are the looks you will get at the petrol station filling it up!! not often you see the bonnet up and a bloke stood there with a petrol hose glugging away
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Very true!

Is that fuel tank filled with safety foam Philip? I think that's fairly common for racing fuel cells, but it does preclude the normal fuel sender types from working - in fact, most race fuel cells don't have provision for a fuel sender. Any ideas what you are going to do about that yet?

I suppose you could get two cells and switch from one to the other when the juice runs out... 10 gallons would give you a reasonable range as well.

I think your garage must be warmer than mine - I've barely made any progress this year

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
(Post Link) post #1317 of 1863 Old 26-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Yes it has a foam filling and I won't be able to have a level sender, but I might run a clear tube up the outside of the tank or just fill up every 100 miles or so. I did think of two tanks, but the car is not likely to be used all that often so I'll probably live with it as is......
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Yes it has a foam filling and I won't be able to have a level sender, but I might run a clear tube up the outside of the tank or just fill up every 100 miles or so. I did think of two tanks, but the car is not likely to be used all that often so I'll probably live with it as is......
so you and Eddy are not planning a sortie to Milan in June?
AO Member

County: -
I think Sixnuts problem is going to be avoiding speeding fines with all that bhp under his right foot.
Since owning a 164 V6 1 have been caught twice by both camera and van in the 30mph zone.
It will be difficult to keep his right leg pumping up and down involuntarily from the sheer excitement .though in his dragster days I suppose he learned how to stay cool on the grid.
Unregistered

Nice Philip, thats exactly the same as mine
Its the one i bought for my red sprint ( drift machine ).
Its a homologated tank foam filled and you can attach 2 fuel pumps on it for racing purposes

By the way, i just picked up a present today, just for you
I dont know if you are sorted yet with the front section of the 16v crossmember for your red sprint, but I got one for you
Rust free of course
If you already got sorted with that part, I know there will be a lot of takers in the forum, but I got it for you so just let me know so I can ship it over
(Post Link) post #1321 of 1863 Old 27-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Nice Philip, thats exactly the same as mine
Its the one i bought for my red sprint ( drift machine ).
Its a homologated tank foam filled and you can attach 2 fuel pumps on it for racing purposes

By the way, i just picked up a present today, just for you
I dont know if you are sorted yet with the front section of the 16v crossmember for your red sprint, but I got one for you
Rust free of course
If you already got sorted with that part, I know there will be a lot of takers in the forum, but I got it for you so just let me know so I can ship it over
Chris you are a star! I have not got the 16V cross member sorted so that will be great. Please pm me so that we can sort out the details but there is no hurry for it so by ship (or hand baggage when you come over for the Boxermeet?? )
(Post Link) post #1322 of 1863 Old 01-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Just a quick update
I've now got three guages and 8 warning lights working on the dashboard - off the car! However the car battery keeps going flat as a front wing side indicator seems to be permanently "On" - unless I disconnect the battery terminal.
So I have started mounting the fuel tank and that is going well - so far.......
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Any more progess?
(Post Link) post #1324 of 1863 Old 08-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Sorry Pud - nothing to report as I had a "family" weekend but I have a week off next week so should be able to make progress then
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Cool - shame the weather has just turned cold. Must be hard to get motivated enough to go out to the garage at the minute.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page