Sprint 6C build up - Page 48 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: -
i have found the Volvo Owners Club as an estremely good source for trobleshooting .It gived good gudance on the ignition amplifier function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Ah! Wasps!

Have you ever sprayed a wasp with carb cleaner? If you hit them in fliight they invert, drop straight to the floor on their back, whizz round in circles on the floor a few times, and die!

Hit them while they are landed and they just drop down dead!

VERY Satisfying!

Mind you I never tried it on a nest!

Works on ant nests though!
(Post Link) post #1178 of 1863 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks for the advice O F Alf and Paulus!
Sorry to say there is no progress to report on the 6C but things are begining to stir............

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
Stir ? Who's making soup ?
(Post Link) post #1180 of 1863 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

- Always thinking of your food Chris......
(Post Link) post #1181 of 1863 Old 05-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well finally the 6C has been trailered a lot closer to home for the new auto electrician to have a go at sorting the wiring. I've also been given more technical diagrams to help him - Thanks to OF Alf
kevjtd

hope it goes better this time phil
much more to do once it's up and running, engine wise anyway

looking forward to finally seeing the car "in the flesh"

Unregistered

finally ! lets hope this guy can start the car for you Philip !
AO Member

A light at the end of the tunnel?

I am sure there are more than a few who are interested in the bosch monotronic 1.7 management system for Sixnuts V6 which has proved troublesome .
Visit a new Dutch site www Alfaromeo164register.com /Click on the Manuals tab and Electric Wiring and Motronic 1.7 and see what primary layout and functioning components will get the 6c running.
So when Sixnut tells us what was done with the electrics we shall all know what he is talking about.I know what an ignition amplifier is now.
Alfisto Steve US Alfa BB and Arjen AR 164 webmaster are the men to thank with looms to lift the gloom
Old Alf.
(Post Link) post #1185 of 1863 Old 09-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

GOOD NEWS! the new auto-electrician has been to the 6C, as promised, today
.......... and said he would need to spend about 40 hours on it and it would cost over a thousand pounds
So it will come home and I will try to sort it myself - I now have some excellent wiring diagrams from the Dutch site that Young/Old Alf has sorted out for me.
Unregistered

does he accept Visa or does he need the money to be cash ?

My question is this ! : How on earth, does one know how many hours he is going to spend on a car, before he spends them ????
Do the 40 hours include the time he needs to take a p*ss and have a cup of tea ?
Does he charge overtime for any hours over 8 ?

So he charges 25 pounds per hour ! Excellent !!! He might go bankrupt in a few years with this rate !
(Post Link) post #1187 of 1863 Old 09-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Too true Chris!
Still I am a lot more optimistic about doing it myself with these new wiring diagrams - time will tell, but at least it will be back under my control.
AO Member

AOFs patient followers need illooooooomination.on what needs to be done and what your plan of action will be.
Still have visions of all those looms laid out on your patio.We have grounds for concern.
I hope your local electrician can look in on you from time to time .
If it runs the 6C should have a name "The Flying Dutchman"
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
GOOD NEWS! the new auto-electrician has been to the 6C, as promised, today
.......... and said he would need to spend about 40 hours on it and it would cost over a thousand pounds
So it will come home and I will try to sort it myself - I now have some excellent wiring diagrams from the Dutch site that Young/Old Alf has sorted out for me.
Hmm, sounds to me like he doesn't fancy the job and has quoted you a price he thinks will put you off, or if it doesn't at least compensate him for the grief he'll have with it.

Having said that, if he intends to pull all the wiring out, check each cable and connector and then re-wire it, that seems like a reasonable quote.

If you're going to look at it yourself, I'd recommend that you take all the engine wiring out, check the whole loom for shorts or open circuits, then put it back slowly and methodically. If something doesn't make sense on the wiring, don't just guess, ask on here or perhaps this electrician might still help with the odd little bit.

Then once you're 100% sure that you understand what everything does and that it is connected in the correct way, you stand half a chance of getting it going - or finding the problem if it doesn't go!
Unregistered

I got really upset last night guys, sorry if my previous post was a bit harsh and sarcastic

You know what the frustrating part is ?

Philip needs his car wired up and started, we can do this in Cyprus in max 2 days from scratch, and it would cost him about 200 to 300 Euro !
I need my 33 mapped properly, and nobody in Cyprus can do it for me, but if I come to UK there are probably 50 different places I can take my car for a mapping !

... I better shut up now before this starts into another rant ....
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
How difficult can it be the wires for the injection system are one one loom and the wiring for the ignition are on another .The ecu has a multi pin connector which only goes on one way the air flow has its own connectors as do the coil packs injctors etc etc so how come it cost 1000.00 to sort it
Im not an auto electrician but i managed to rewire my gtv6 when i removed and then reinstalled the engine.I got a wire crossed on the coil as id accidentley by passed the ballast resistor but a quick look on the web even wikipedia helped as it explained the basics of the ignition system.
Your man is taking the pass

alfas owned
3 x sud sprints 2 x 2.0 alfetta gtvs (chrome bumpers) 1 x bell and colville 2.0 turbo alfetta
1 x 1.3 sud ti (the flying custard) 1 x 1.5 sud sc 1 x series 1 gtv6 2 x series 2 gtv6
2 x series 3 gtv6 (one was a 1986 d reg) 3 x 164 3.0 lusso 12 valve 1 x 164 3.0 super 24 valve with 45mm intakes 1 x 147 2.0 t spark 1 x gtv 3.2 (916) 1 x 75 2.5 auto (sorry but yuk)
Unregistered

Its a bit more complicated than the GTV6 Fetta head, these ECU's work with pulses rather than just 12v+ and ground. Also there is the immobilizer to worry about, and other important electronic parts.

But I do agree with you that its not that difficult to do ! I've been saying this from the beginning. I'm just sorry that Philip has to go through all this frustration, especially after so many sleepless nights that he worked on the car
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Its a bit more complicated than the GTV6 Fetta head, these ECU's work with pulses rather than just 12v+ and ground. Also there is the immobilizer to worry about, and other important electronic parts.

But I do agree with you that its not that difficult to do ! I've been saying this from the beginning. I'm just sorry that Philip has to go through all this frustration, especially after so many sleepless nights that he worked on the car
There are a lot of well documented engine conversions on the alfa bb website where the 2.5 & 30.l 12 valve V6 has been replaced with the 24 valve engines especially in the alfetta gtv6 section and when these changes were made the coil packs and motronic has also been used.
So a complete rewire would be needed for such a conversion then maybe that wold be a good place to look
its probalby something so basic as a corroded wire or a bad earth
Tbh for a thousand pound you could get a completley new mangement system
(Post Link) post #1194 of 1863 Old 10-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks guys
The electrician was talking about a major rewire so the price wasn't so outrageous but as the original car was running and I have taken all the wiring from it I don't think it really needs such a major job. I will just have to take my time and be very methodical, checking and rechecking. There are feeds from and to the ecu from the instrument panel as well as all the sensors. The two electricians have both opened up some of the connectors though......
(Post Link) post #1195 of 1863 Old 14-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

It finally arrived home an hour ago and is now tucked up in my garage - even a few wasps came out to see it!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfasud V8

At least its back so you start having a go, just take your time, is it possible to use an after market setup?
Unregistered

or is it possible to just leave it there for a week until I get my engine home and we can start working on them to get them started together ?
AO Silver Member

What is this? A race?
(Post Link) post #1199 of 1863 Old 15-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa302 View Post
At least its back so you start having a go, just take your time, is it possible to use an after market setup?
Hi Eddie, Chris and Greek
I will just take my time working through the wiring diagram steadily - plenty of time before June and Stanford Hall "International Alfa Boxer Meet"
(Post Link) post #1200 of 1863 Old 22-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Finally had a few minutes to redo some of the sections undone by the electricians...... but I suspect that most of the work will be done in three weeks time - when I am off work for a week.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page