Sprint 6C build up - Page 40 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
have you kept track of what you've spent by now ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #977 of 1863 Old 07-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Just about - approx £1050 inc respray. The engine and gearbox and all other 164 parts have now become freebies as I have sold off virtually the whole of the rest of the 164 for its original cost.
Ooops I forgot to add the silencers, sills and recent bits and bobs (wing mirrors, hoses, jubilee clips etc) -the total now is £1684 but I do have some spare pieces in that.

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 08-07-09 at 07:20. Reason: updated pricing
kevjtd

are you anywhere near being ready for sunday with all the hold ups? as long as it's not too wet and nothing untoward happens between now and then i will be coming down

(Post Link) post #979 of 1863 Old 08-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Kev
I will have another attempt at getting the electrics to the engine sorted today (but I've got to go into work again...) Then I will be re-assembling and tidying for the Sunday event.
It will be there and looking (hopefully) good , but probably have to be trailered.
Hope you are able to make it down.
(Post Link) post #980 of 1863 Old 08-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Got the looms out again - but now its raining again..... but at least I took some pics to show the problem. I cannot find the two relays that are at the front of the 164 for the motronic fuel pump and engine relay with diode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build 5th July 003.jpg (201.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 5th July 004.jpg (199.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 5th July 007.jpg (201.4 KB, 23 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfasud V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Got the looms out again - but now its raining again..... but at least I took some pics to show the problem. I cannot find the two relays that are at the front of the 164 for the motronic fuel pump and engine relay with diode.

Don't envy you on this one. good luck
AO Member

County: Jönköping
Quote:
Yes I would also like to know if you have made progress as you did help to inspire my build!
I have collected the car but it has gone straight into my garage so no pics till tomorrow.
Hi, sorry nothing has happened with my 6c project for a long time.
All my time goes to my Alfasud Lusso that I must have ready next summer.
I want to drive in my Alfasud to Italy to join the Alfa Romeo 100 years National Event in June. I really hope that anyway.
I have also started to build a new "slightly-modified" 16V engine to my Sprint.

BTW. I know there you can find the same mirror they used on the "first" 6C Sprint.
I agree that the late type of mirror Alfa used on the Sprint are really ugly. I think the early ones (same I have on my Sprint) Is much nicer.

The mirror is Vitaloni California.
Vitaloni Californian Mirror | Mirrors | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Car Modifying, Parts and Accessories,Sparco, Arai
I will probably use them on my 6C.

Your car is now a big inspiration for my future work on my 6C...

Is there av 12V or a 24V engine you have? I might have some electrical info about the 12V V6 engine that I could share with you.
kevjtd

that's a lot of wires more than i had to deal with, and at least they were from the correct car
good luck in getting all in in place

(Post Link) post #984 of 1863 Old 09-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks Eddie and Kev - I have made a bit of progress - I know the starter motor works and I have a dangling Ignition warning light!
Joakim
Will you be posting some new pics of your Lusso? What are you doing to the 16V engine (Thats my next project to put a 16V in a Sprint)
Then you could do your 6C
I now have those Californian mirrors and they look good.
Best wishes
Unregistered

Philip I cant see the colours or connectors from the pictures

You dont have any pictures of the 164 when it was complete ?

Roughly from what I see , most of that stuff will not be needed. First picture harness is WAY too long to be engine management harness. Its most probably for the lights harness and it goes all the way to the rear lights as well.

An easy way to exclude what you dont need , the engine wiring is covered in that plastic black cable wrapper. That protects the cables from heat and water. You mean you cant find anything from all those fittings that go on the engine

Let me see if I can find anything to help you with...
(Post Link) post #986 of 1863 Old 10-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Chris
I have used the cable wrapped harness and it is connected to most most of the engine sensors. Throttle position, RPM sensor, Coolant sensor, idle adjustment, evaporation valve,two ignition modules and the mass air flow meter all connected to the ecu.
But I have no connection to the two pairs of wires to the Lamda probe, no engine relay, no Mototronic relay with diode and no fuel pump relay. I am using three slightly different wiring diagrams which doesn't help. I did put a good battery on today in the faint hope that with a wire to the fuel pump (which works) and a wire to the starter (which works) it might fire up - It doesnt..........
But I did get sparks at the ecu casing which isn't a good sign
So it will be trailered to the Bedford Show to go on display and I will need to try to get a good alfa electrician to check the system, finish it off and get it running
I have been finishing off the ducting round the radiator (which has a tiny crack opening up when the fixing bracket is tightened hopefully superglue will seal it though, on the plastic end capping?
Next is to reinstall the interior and do the twiddly bits
AO Silver Member

It might be a bit late in the day to suggest this but is there an advantage to using all of the 164 loom and splicing in the sprint bits where you need them? Lights etc are easier than clocks and engine management systems to wire up? At least then with a trip to a breakers or someone with a running 164 you can compare and see what goes where?

rsfruitbat
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi Chris
I have used the cable wrapped harness and it is connected to most most of the engine sensors. Throttle position, RPM sensor, Coolant sensor, idle adjustment, evaporation valve,two ignition modules and the mass air flow meter all connected to the ecu.
But I have no connection to the two pairs of wires to the Lamda probe, no engine relay, no Mototronic relay with diode and no fuel pump relay. I am using three slightly different wiring diagrams which doesn't help. I did put a good battery on today in the faint hope that with a wire to the fuel pump (which works) and a wire to the starter (which works) it might fire up - It doesnt..........
But I did get sparks at the ecu casing which isn't a good sign
So it will be trailered to the Bedford Show to go on display and I will need to try to get a good alfa electrician to check the system, finish it off and get it running
I have been finishing off the ducting round the radiator (which has a tiny crack opening up when the fixing bracket is tightened hopefully superglue will seal it though, on the plastic end capping?
Next is to reinstall the interior and do the twiddly bits

Philip, if you have spark and fuel, then either your Motronic doesnt get power, or your injectors are stuck and dont spray fuel, or your immobilizer is whats causing the problem !

I'm sure its something simple, just check one thing at a time
AO Member

County: Jönköping
Quote:
Joakim
Will you be posting some new pics of your Lusso? What are you doing to the 16V engine (That's my next project to put a 16V in a Sprint)
Then you could do your 6C
I now have those Californian mirrors and they look good.
Best wishes
Oops, I missed that page where you showed the california mirrors.
I't look great with them!

Philip, You can see pic's of my Lusso here. Alfapower - Galleri :: Alfasud Lusso Some pictures have notes in english.

The engine modifications are little secret. All I can say now is that it will be supercharged with a Eaton compressor. I am not sure that all parts will fit where I want them.
It will be a really compact solution if its going as I expect. My goal with this Is that It should be hard for a person that is not familiar to the Alfa Boxer engine to se that it's modified.
AO Member

County: -
For the future ,agree with Fruitbat that all donor electrics be used where possible as with the exception of the hot wires which work independently,all systems lead to the ecu.
I fear the ecu will have been damaged by the attempt to fire the engine without key relays to hand and if the fuel pump earth wire had not been grounded
When sparks fly around the ecu it is a self destruct situation.
I hope no further work is done on the engine until each component of the M1,7 system is individually tested.
I dont believe the doner 164 had an immobiliser,so the first component to test is the CPU as it provides the first signal to the ECU in the firing sequence. Sixnut will be very lucky if there is no ecu fault code on diagnostic tests

Time to forget troubles and enjoy what has been achieved so far.
T
(Post Link) post #991 of 1863 Old 10-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

I'm leaving the electrics for the moment(Thanks for the input/advice from S16V, RS and YoungAlf) and just getting it all put together to be trailered to the show. Sorry that it is not a runner - yet
Still it has been gaining lots of detailed attention and coming together nicely. The windscreen was fitted today (thanks to Autoglass) and the rear view is now complete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build 10th July 001.jpg (141.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 10th July 003.jpg (127.7 KB, 68 views)
AO Member

County: Northumberland
that looks ****ing awesome!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Megasquirt?
(Post Link) post #994 of 1863 Old 11-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim Aineland View Post
Oops, I missed that page where you showed the california mirrors.
I't look great with them!

Philip, You can see pic's of my Lusso here. Alfapower - Galleri :: Alfasud Lusso Some pictures have notes in english.

The engine modifications are little secret. All I can say now is that it will be supercharged with a Eaton compressor. I am not sure that all parts will fit where I want them.
It will be a really compact solution if its going as I expect. My goal with this Is that It should be hard for a person that is not familiar to the Alfa Boxer engine to se that it's modified.
Thats a fantastically thorough job you are doing with your Lusso Joakim

No wonder your 6C project is on (temporary I hope!) hold.
AO Member

County: -
Went to AutoLusso this morning who had a v6 164 ,to find those missing relays ,and get a few other bits for myself.but the car had just been sold to someone who is putting the engine into a Stratos.
Ned and his team seeing my distress offered me a bacon butty in keeping with their sponsorship of the barbeque on National Alfa Day.
Sixnut ,no apologies necessay.
Our imaginations have been caught up in hyper space by your 6C project ,with references to bhp of F1 Mclaren
But its time to ensure the Sprint is well grounded to earth before further attempts at lift off.

Tomorrow is a day for show,your gonna need a lot more dough .
The alfa looms will see to that. Time to pass around the hat ?
caio for now.
Unregistered

The car looks beautyfull Philip

I love the graphic you put on the back !

I'm sure it will draw a lot of attention tomorrow at the show ! Have fun and be very proud of what you have accomblished !
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Them's rather tasty rear graphics you have there, Philip

Where did you get those made up?

Sorry to hear that the electrics have (temporarily) prevented engine testing, but you're very close now. If it was up to me I'd have all that EFI in the bin and a row of 40 DCNFs on there instead, but I can see the appeal of that chrome intake manifold... Its just a shame that you have to be so reliant on an electric box of tricks before you can even turn the engine over on the key - that's not for me!

Have fun at the show tomorrow, you've worked extremely hard to get the car to where it is now, and it looks fabulous. Sure, those exhausts will remain silent for now, but its only a matter of time before they are roaring

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Lookin' good for showtime Phillip, well done. The electrics must be really frustrating but all good things come to those who wait, so enjoy the words and looks of admiration at tomorrows static show, and maybe focus on havin' her all sorted and shook-down ready for AutoItalia Gaydon, 'cos a little squirt round the track whilst there would be highly recommended
AO Member

County: Port Louis
That's what I call an intimidating rear end. When it hits the road, people following this car will be afraid to overtake it!
kevjtd

i guess phil is still frantically outside getting things ready for tomorrow but anyone else in the bedford area know if the rain has started yet i know a big band of rain is sweeping the country, just hoping it has been and gone by the morning, hasn't stated here yet don't fancy going out tomorrow in heavy rain

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page