Sprint 6C build up - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Sprint 6C build up

I havent seen a 1.5 with such heads unless it is a 1.5 block with 1.7 heads....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #77 of 1863 Old 28-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Thanks Greek - it does seem to be a bit of an oddity! Still I've been a bit busy recently getting one of my other "toys" sorted - its a bit " Off Topic" but here is a picture of my V8 Sprite with its new carb set up - yes the quad Dellortos are from Alfa Sud/Sprint engines!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprite Pics April 08 004.jpg (143.1 KB, 61 views)
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Thanks Greek - it does seem to be a bit of an oddity! Still I've been a bit busy recently getting one of my other "toys" sorted - its a bit " Off Topic" but here is a picture of my V8 Sprite with its new carb set up - yes the quad Dellortos are from Alfa Sud/Sprint engines!
bet those carbs take some setting up and sounds nice with the rover V8

AO Member

V8 Sprite -ever so slightly mad. What axle have you in mind suspect the original would last till the end of the drive!
Please say that you are retired or have had these projects on the go for many years otherwise it makes those of us with just one project on the go feel a bit inadequate!
KR James
(Post Link) post #80 of 1863 Old 29-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi James
The Sprite has a Ford Anglia back axle and I did build it many years ago - been used for drag racing with best time for the quarter mile - 12.9 seconds 0 - 113mph but now runs on the road in milder tune - infrequently!
But I don't retire for another couple of years.... so it's a busy life and a very tolerant wife..
AO Member

Quote:
Hi James
The Sprite has a Ford Anglia back axle and I did build it many years ago - been used for drag racing with best time for the quarter mile - 12.9 seconds 0 - 113mph but now runs on the road in milder tune - infrequently!
But I don't retire for another couple of years.... so it's a busy life and a very tolerant wife..
Very cool - any chance of posting some more pics ?
Sadly I don't think I can aspire to such heights in the garage, wife notwithstanding!
KR James
(Post Link) post #82 of 1863 Old 02-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi James
As requested a few pics of my V8 Sprite - As the clutch plate had stuck/rusted onto the flywheel I had to take the engine and gearbox out last week and I put my better old race engine in tonight (having made sure that its clutch plate was free!) Its a bit messy and I've got to do lots of tidying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprite Pics May 08 001.jpg (153.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sprite Pics May 08 003.jpg (129.6 KB, 8 views)
AO Member

Thanks for the shots it all fits just!
Think I might hate you phrases like 'my spare race engine' along with a tolerant wife might get you onto my list !
Looks good - are those the wheels you use - they look a bit skinny with a V8 other than for the drag strip.
KR James
(Post Link) post #84 of 1863 Old 04-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for your sentiments James! Yes I do use those narrow wheels on the strip and street - but I have a set of 5 1/2" wide alloys as well.
In fact the car is lighter with the V8 than it was as a 1500 Midget! I had to put 1275 front springs in cos the 1500 ones made it sit too high....
AO Member

More worried about grip / traction thand weight ! Back tyres would soon be a 'consumable' in my hands.
KR James
AO Silver Member

Back onto the 6C.

Have you ever heard of a guy called Andy Burton? Years ago he built what he called an Alfa-Ferrari.
He put a 308 engine (?) into the back of a shortened Sprint shell and rallied it. Did really well with it until 4 wheel drive took over. Have a look on youtube and you'll see and hear what I mean.

rsfruitbat
kevjtd

yes, i have seen (and heard) that alfa/ferrari in the flesh an awesome machine and well engineered too shame that modern day national reallying frowned upon the likes of andy burton, or have they changed their minds again and welcomed his different approach to rallying so many just buy the latest imprezza or lancer but anything different is far more interesting

AO Silver Member

He now competes in a Peugeot 306 that originally had Metro 6R4 running gear and engine. It now uses a Cosworth V6 touring car engine . Those bright sparks at the MSA have recently decided though that cars like this are to be banned from 2010? Prats. Its fine if daddy has loads of money and can buy you a WRC car for 500000 but you cant build yourself a car with comparable performance. They say its down to insurance. Stupid thing is it gets an MOT every year so he can drive it on the road he just cant do rallies in it

rsfruitbat
(Post Link) post #89 of 1863 Old 07-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the info about Andy Burton Fruitbat - I had followed a couple of links to him and he has done amazing things with cars over the years - and I agree with the sentiment re MSA and rallying regs!
However I have a problem which I hope an AO er can help me with....
I need to get my V6 engine and gearboxback from AlfaNorthants to my home - I also want to take my V8 Sprite to Goodwood. So I am trying to Rent/borrow a car trailer to put behind a 166 for three days May 15th to 18th So is there anyone with a trailor within 3o miles Bedford??
AO Silver Member

Sorry cant help with that one. Good luck

rsfruitbat
(Post Link) post #91 of 1863 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks Fruitbat (and others) Trailer sorted now but our 156 has given up the ghost with a major (Con rod??) breakage (and no - it's not a cambelt)
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Quote:
Thanks Fruitbat (and others) Trailer sorted now but our 156 has given up the ghost with a major (Con rod??) breakage (and no - it's not a cambelt)
Ah thats harsh.
Havr you something else you can tow with?
(Post Link) post #93 of 1863 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Wave Re: Sprint 6C build up

Well it has been a hectic few days - The Sprite was resprayed, trailer hired and car borrowed (_Thanks Jem at Northants Alfa!) We got down to Goodwood, got the car started on the new carb set up (4 x 36 IDF webers I now realise - ex Sud/Sprint 1.5 Ti) and failed the noise regs! 105 Db and it had to be 98Db Max! So no run round the circuit. But I did manage to pick up a second hand fibreglass bonnet to chop for the new carbs.
I was also able to bring the V6 over and get it into my garage so progress is slowly being maintained on the 6C front. Next job is to remove the front of the 164........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V6 Pic May 08.jpg (117.3 KB, 26 views)
(Post Link) post #94 of 1863 Old 16-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hmmm lots of domestic stuff! so little progress on the project but the 156 has been sold and a replacement purchased ( Honda Civic Sport! - but it is already proving fun and economical)
Anyway I have indulged in a set of number plates (for show purposes he hopes ) - So that sorts out the car designation debate

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 04-08-09 at 07:17. Reason: Pic removed to save space
kevjtd

Quote:
Hmmm lots of domestic stuff! so little progress on the project but the 156 has been sold and a replacement purchased ( Honda Civic Sport! - but it is already proving fun and economical)
Anyway I have indulged in a set of number plates (for show purposes he hopes ) - So that sorts out the car designation debate
perfect is that number available still

(Post Link) post #96 of 1863 Old 17-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjtd View Post
perfect is that number available still
Hi Kev
According to the DVLA it was not issued - but as I'm interested they may put it up for auction - which probably means it will prove too expensive for me to buy
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Hi Kev
According to the DVLA it was not issued - but as I'm interested they may put it up for auction - which probably means it will prove too expensive for me to buy
I was just about to say the perfect number plate!!

but yes as you say, someone with very deep pockets will probably think so too

cant wait to see this come together.
(Post Link) post #98 of 1863 Old 24-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

cant wait to see this come together. [/QUOTE]
Thanks Mark - and others
I am getting quite frustrated at my lack of progress but there have been a few distractions recently! Anyway I am planning on getting the front off the 164 over the weekend and will post up some pics - if it all goes according to plan......
kevjtd

chin up mate i know what it's like to think nothing is happening
also know that you never has as much time for these jobs as you think, i planned to have my sud on the road this summer probably next summer
look forward to seeing your progress

AO Silver Member

I can still remember when I first started building the 33 rallycar back in October 92. I reckoned that I could be using it by the April. I was right. It just wasnt the April in 93, it was 94.
Its been a bit the same with my 16V conversion. It was going to be ready for just after Xmas. I am so glad I didnt say which Xmas . 15months and counting . Hopefully it will be ready in the next few weeks
rsfruitbat

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint