Sprint 6C build up - Page 39 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Hi Philip - fantastic progress, as always. The mirrors you want are Vitaloni Californians, still in production and often to be seen on the most discerning Supercars (I've seen them used on the Countach, Maserati Bora, my old Droop Snoot...).

They are available through 'Tweeks and Europa Spares, they were around 15 a pair, although they might have gone up a bit since I last looked. They look awesome when colour-coded. Friction adjustable stem and a universal jointed mirror (slightly convex, so "objects may be larger than they appear"), but it sounds like you already have one...

As far as the front wings are concerned, the world is your doughnut - with no driveshafts to worry about, you could increase the track by fabbing new strut mounts (which would kill some of the excess camber - 2 negative is just too much for a RWD car), and using a wider rack (or use extensions, if they are available).

Then you could fit wheels with minimal offset, dial in more caster as Veesix suggests, fill out those wide arches and still have pin-sharp steering with no kick-back (ask me how I know ).

But at the end of the day, wide front arches (or the lack of them) won't affect whether the car gets on the road or not. I reckon you could build up a nice self-contained front suspension subframe in slowtime and swap it over with a wide arch conversion when you've had some on the road development time

This is going to be such a cool ride when its done

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #952 of 1863 Old 30-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks all as ever for your input and positive comments
- Veesix75 I may well need to try alternative springs later so your offer is appreciated.
- Young Alf I haven't had the ecu checked so it will be fingers crossed - ode awaited!
- Lauren erudite and knowledgeable - and correct mirrors now on order But the price has gone up

Oh and I did the steering wheel yesterday (but had to cut the grass too!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black alloy steering 4.jpg (125.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 02-12-09 at 16:52.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

That's cool - how did you fit the Alfa wheel boss on the Mountney? I might have to do that on mine

Price aside, its good to know that a mirror that has been in use since the mid-70s is still available at all! I've got a pair of Vitaloni Sebrings as well, which were popular on Lambos from the late 60s, they went out of production 4 years ago... And the Hella 4004's fitted to the Green Machine have been unobtainable since I don't know when

Lauren

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

widebody sud ti

car

the sprint looks amazing looking forward to seeing it .
Unregistered

County: Nicosia
Seems like I've missed out a bit here the past couple of days !

Philip you are wrong when you say that you've done a lot of work but it doesnt really show !
It does show !!!

Car looks amazing

That rear end has really ended up looking FANTASTIC !!!

Also the steering wheel and the gauges look great ! I must admit, I had my doubts about how those gauges looked to begin with .... but now they look great
AO Member

County: Merseyside
It really is coming together now, I do like the louvres in silver but I reserve judgement 'til I see them in black.
But is that the best place for the speaker or did Halfords recomend that position.
Keep on goin mate its gonna be a legendary car.
(Post Link) post #957 of 1863 Old 30-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Been buying more jubilee clips and copper pipe - I had used 3/16" pipe for the clutch but the original 164 was 1/4" so I'll do that again and improve its route. Late night at work and my garage door has snapped a cable to the counterweight springs -- so yet another job to be done.... Doh!
But thanks for the support - it really is appreciated
Oh Lauren- the Alfa boss will be lightly glued in position - at present it's a blu-tack cheat
Fortunately I start my holiday on Friday PM so I will have a good few days to get the car ready next week
(Post Link) post #958 of 1863 Old 01-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

More work done - in this mornings post were my new wing mirrors (Many thanks for Excellent service from Demon tweeks!! I only ordered them yesterday morning!!!!)
A quick try out - even the screw holes were correct - so on they went
Then I started to tidy up the sill covers. As a trial I have injected PU mastic in the gaps, then smoothed it with my finger tip, let it set, primed it, aerosol spray coloured it, aerosol clear coated it - and I think it looks a lot neater. Not finished by any means, but better.
Again when it is properly hard I will go over it again to get an even better finish hopefully before the 12th.
I am also working on the rear bumper mounts so get a better, tighter fit to the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build 1st July 001.jpg (165.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 1st July 002.jpg (124.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 1st July 004.jpg (51.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 1st July 005.jpg (55.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 1st July 006.jpg (66.6 KB, 32 views)
AO Member

Mirrors look ace!

The minor details like tidying up, adjusting and refinishing must seem to be never-ending.....!!
Unregistered

Philip are you still without a front windshield ?
(Post Link) post #961 of 1863 Old 02-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Chris
It's OK I have a screen which will be fitted soon, but it is easier to sort the intrument binnacle with no screen in place. I will get a screen fitter out to do the job though.
AO Member

County: -
SIXNUT
what is the bosh number of your 164 ecu should start 0261 200-------
(Post Link) post #963 of 1863 Old 03-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Fixed garage door
Replaced clutch pipe with 1/4" tubing
replaced two brake pipes from the master cylinder with copper tube
run brake pipe to OSR wheel.
Only the NSR pipe to do and the brakes are done.....
AO Member

County: Port Louis
I wanted to congratulate you on your choice of mirrors. They are classic italian racing items. I will be getting a pair for my Sprint soon.

The car is looking fabulous!
(Post Link) post #965 of 1863 Old 05-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Fixed the final brake line to the OSR wheel.
Started to button up the exhaust then discovered a part sheared stud on the rear manifold! Took the manifold off, drilled the stud out and now have a nut and bolt to hold the downpipe. Access to the engine is much easier than it was when it was in the 164!! It is a good job that the rear spoiler is solid though cos I had to put all my weight on it leaning into the boot space.....

Fixed the silencers in place.
hammerited the long steel water pipes.
So progress being maintained
Unregistered

good job on getting that sorted as well Philip !

whats next on the list ?
(Post Link) post #967 of 1863 Old 06-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG ALF View Post
SIXNUT
what is the bosh number of your 164 ecu should start 0261 200-------
Hi Young Alf
Here is a picture of the ECU with the number
...and a picture showing access at the rear of the engine.
Today I hope to get the fuel tank finally attached and fuel lines fixed. Then get all coolant pipes done.

Hope all those who went to NAD had a great time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c build 5th July 002.jpg (100.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 6c build 5th July 006.jpg (96.6 KB, 24 views)
Unregistered

Nice engine clearance !!!
You must love working on that engine from the inside of the car !

.... something tells me the car will be running by next week
(Post Link) post #969 of 1863 Old 06-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Nice engine clearance !!!
You must love working on that engine from the inside of the car !

.... something tells me the car will be running by next week
It looks nice and clear, but the boot is very small and so working over the spoiler is a bit of a struggle!
I'm trying to get the engine running but the wiring is a nightmare!!! Still I've now got a working fuel pump........
Unregistered

Good for you ! One less thing to worry about !

How bad can the cables be ? There can only be so many cables and most of them can only go on 1 place !

I would like to let you know something about the way the fuel pump should work though. This is how they work on the 33's and normally it should be the same on the 164 Bosch motronic as well.
The fuel pump does NOT work when the ignition is turned ON.
On the 33 there is a pink and pink/white cable plug that is connected from the ECU loom to the fuel pump plug ( if still the original ).
The Fuel pump relay will only be triggered by the pink/white cable, through the crank sensor , when the engine is cranking or started !!!

So dont be alarmed if you dont hear the fuel pump working when you turn on the ignition switch !

Other than that it should be prety straight forward.
6 injector plugs ( they should have the number of the cylinder writen on the cable )
1 flow meter plug
1 crank sensor plug
coil could be a bit tricky , you need to check how the standard of the sprint was powered ( either a magneti marelli coil originally on the sprint or a bosch ) and check polarities . They could be reversed.
Idle switch sensor is usually blue colour, and trhotle position switch cannot be connected elsewhere.

Other than than , if you have your starter cables connected , alternator and lamda sensor, the car should crank and start !

....love doing these kind of work... I wish I was there to give you a hand with it
(Post Link) post #971 of 1863 Old 06-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thanks Chris
I have now got most of the engine sen/sors connected - but although I have found the pinkwhite fuel pump connector I cannot find the relay.... and I've got 7 bits of wiring loom with loads of relays, plugs and fuses.
everytime I've spread them out today its started to rain and I've had to pack it away Still I've now fixed all the radiator pipework
Unregistered

can you please send me pictures of the looms you've got so we can figure out which is which ?

Normally you should have a loom for the airconditioning unit - which doesnt need to be used
then there should also be a loom for the abs system, maybe even one for the airbags if you got that out of the other car as well.
1 for the front lights ( big one with lots of connectors and common grounds )

So there should be 1 left for the fuel pump, 1 for the coil ... and another one which I have no idea what it could be
AO Member

SIXNUT
If the pump is correctly connected there should be a low whirring sound as it primes itself when you turn on the ignition.but you have to crank the engine for quite a while before the fuel gets round to the injectors.
As for the relays.you have a key cluster of two relays and three fuses which in the 24v doner car were centre front of the engine bay.
Looking from the front on the left there is bosch 30a relay number ending 112 and attached to a pink 3 amp fuse.this is the fuel pump relay .adjacent is the main ecu relay with a red stripe accross the top ,also 30 amps but number ending 113 .attached are two fuses one blue 15 amp for the relay itself and a brown 7.5 amp fuse for the lamda sensor.
Assuming all the 164 electrics are running the car ,the other important relays must be the horn and lights for the MOT and fan cooling relay which were all along the front of the engine bay.
the Hazard warning and indicator .and starting relays other than those in the fuse box were under the dash in a cluster with parking light .The auto 164 has a few more relays which can be discounted thank goodness.
Hope this helps '
Still worried about the ECU not being tested on the work bench or in a similar v6 .In doing this key colour an important factor. red key cars had an immobiliser factor built into the ecu.
.In the car the ECU looks like a brain without a skull for protection. and needs a polythene membrane to guard against any form of water and also fixed in its robust original housing.
Young Alf
AO Member

Sixnut
correction on the fuse rating linked to the ecu and fuel pump relays .3amp for ecu and 15 for fuel pump.positioned to fool one.
Pity eper description of electrical components like relays is so vague.
In Spacenut mode .... ET OF MOT?
Young Alf
(Post Link) post #975 of 1863 Old 07-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Many thanks for the help offered on this electrical issue - I'm totally frustrated by the c...py weather at the moment! I need to spread out the looms - but it dries out then rains again ---for two days now!!........Anyway I have put water in the system and that is all fine. I need to run a tube for the Brake servo - 22 cos its a long one! and I've had to buy 1 metre of fuel filler hose 28! for the 10cm that I want.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page