Sprint 6C build up - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

Mark Alfa

Re: Sprint 6C build up

I found this site last night with some info on the 6c

El 6C es el Sprint que jamás compitió

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Oh lord please tell me. Why didnt they put it into production ?
Lets make up for lost time and get Alfa to do it NOW

I'd convert to rear wheel drive for that .

If I had the time and the ability and the money thats what I'd like to build

rsfruitbat
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

A lovely car, would also love one :aaANYWORD:
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 147 View Post
I found this site last night with some info on the 6c

El 6C es el Sprint que jamás compitió
Great link , notice that the rear suspension follows the 80's rally theme of a pair of spring damper units for both sides - one either side of the hub. Front suspension apears to have gone to wishbone rather than strut as angle of the spring damper couldn't be done on a strut. Looks to have been built out of girders as well, may not have been the lightest vehicle ever!
KR James
(Post Link) post #30 of 1863 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Excellent info! many thanks As a rough translation it would seem that Autodelta built two 6Cs in 1982 for Alfa. There are detail differences, in particular the rear opening - the black louvre on a standard rear frame and the red louvre (later version?) on a longer frame front and rear. It also looks as though there were radiators front and rear?
Needless to say I cannot wait to get started cutting metal but I am still sorting out about my latest Sprint (D-reg 1.5)- it may well be used for the 6C, it depends upon its condition - and the red F reg may get the 1.5 engine and be sold to fund the 6C project
AO Silver Member

I couldn't get the link to work (I'll try again later), so I did some more surfing and found that the car with the strange dorsal intake behind the 6C at Retromobile was in fact an experimental mid-engined Junior Zagato!!!

Called the Junior Z Periscopo for obvious reasons, it clearly predates the 6C and uses the Alfetta 2-litre engine (and presumably the wheels, which is why I thought it was a mid-mount GTV). Here's the linky, hope it works - there's a couple more pictures of 6C that I haven't seen on the following page, with the profile shot in particular suggesting an extended wheelbase necessary to fit the engine in-line rather than transversely???

ALFA ROMEO AlfaSud Sprint 6C : - Motorlegend.com

I love the idea of mid-engined Alfas, but until recently I had never heard of the 6C, let alone a middie Junior Zagato! I've often wondered whether the Montreal was intended to be mid-mount, as there are those huge vents on the B-pillars, and the OSI Scarabeo (allegedly using a precursor of the Tipo 33 H-tube chassis) showed how the Guilia twincam could be mounted sideways.

There is no way I could ever afford a T33 Stradale, let alone the one-off Carabo (my favourite derivative), but a middie-Montreal would have been a neat machine, even with a 4-cylinder engine...

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
(Post Link) post #32 of 1863 Old 05-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Lauren
Thanks for your Video link - it really shows some nice details of the 6C. I think the wheelbase was unchanged - the profile picture seems to use a slight wide angle lens, hence the distortion.
I'm not sure about the "Periscope" car not exactly pretty.....
Philip
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
I think the wheelbase was unchanged
...Yes, I looked again and I think it is the flared rear arches that make the car look "heavier" at the rear. Fibreglass, if I read the French narrative correctly...

Quote:
I'm not sure about the "Periscope" car not exactly pretty.....
Yes, I know what you mean, but Zagatos have always looked a little "odd" to me. But for 1972, using Alfetta running gear, its certainly interesting!

I like to justify the Green Machine by looking for signs that Alfa Romeo were thinking of building small mid-engined sportscars in the early '70's

I found another linky on an Italian Alfa forum with more pictures of the 6C from Retromobile. Useful wheel and tyre information, plus a very standard looking Sprint dashboard! And is that a hint of a transaxle (ZF?) sticking out under the rear skirt?

Alfistas.com - Todo sobre Alfa Romeo Forums-viewtopic-Rétromobile 2008

Lauren
(Post Link) post #34 of 1863 Old 21-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I've finally got started on taking out the V6 - and its not easy! Pipes, wires and hoses all over the place - but mostly now done apart from the rod gearchange which needs splitting behind the engine and I cannot get to it!! Next week should see it out on its subframe tho'.
Unfortunately the 156 has failed its MOT so there's work to be done on that first...
(Post Link) post #35 of 1863 Old 26-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Progress!
I now have a V6 out, on its sub-frame. Thanks to Alfa Northants who have let me loose on their ramp (whilst they have done my 156 suspension) I finally got the engine out

However I now seek AO input... ..Should I keep refering to it as a "6C" which, as we now know, in more detail, has a 2.5 GTV V6 longitudinally mounted with a ZF? transaxle. Should I call mine a "Sprint V6" (3.0 24V)??? or even a "Sprint 6C T" (Transverse)
As there are lots of people viewing from all round the world - scary thought!! lets see what you think it should be called.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine out 3.jpg (113.9 KB, 79 views)
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Sprint Veloce 6

Sprint GTA

Last edited by Pascs; 26-03-08 at 09:29.
AO Silver Member

Sprint BF Bloody Fantastic

On a slightly more serious note I dont think they ever did a Ti Sprint so what about a VTi or TiV.

rsfruitbat
AO Member

Crazy,fast,mental,awsome,necksnaping________ come on im sure there are lots more names , will be very cool when finished
AO Silver Member

What did the "C" stand for originally? "Centrale", perhaps, as in mid-engined?

Lamborghini used the "TP400" designator for the Miura to distinguish it from the LP500 Countach. It stood for "Transversale Posteriore", 400 centilitres (transverse, rear engined, 4-litre).

I don't see why you can't keep the 6C moniker, even if the car doesn't use the same drive train as the original. Its certainly got more Alfa content!

I called my Nova a T33 because I wanted to draw attention to the "tubolare" chassis, but I'm using an Alfasud engine, not a 33 boxer, so really it should be called a "T-Sud"

Lauren
AO Member

6C is 6 Cylinders surely? Just like the 8C etc....
AO Silver Member

Call it whatever you like, although Sprint V6 is more easily understandable to your average person than Sprint TP6C!
AO Gold Member

County: -
(Post Link) post #43 of 1863 Old 30-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well thanks for the suggestions so far. though I'm tempted by Sprint GTA I suspect it will remain Sprint 6C ....
.......Although Sprint V6 is still a possibility as Ben correctly says "it is more easily understandable!"
Oh and the Air conditioning is less than likely as there is a nightmare of wiring to the 164 dashboard and aircon controls!!
AO Member

Quote:
Well thanks for the suggestions so far. though I'm tempted by Sprint GTA I suspect it will remain Sprint 6C ....
.......Although Sprint V6 is still a possibility as Ben correctly says "it is more easily understandable!"
Oh and the Air conditioning is less than likely as there is a nightmare of wiring to the 164 dashboard and aircon controls!!
Only thing needed is an on off for the clutch from the compressor if can cope with manual control!
Keep up the good work.
KR James
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Air conditioning is less than likely as there is a nightmare of wiring to the 164 dashboard and aircon controls!!
I guess it depends on what your motivation is but I would lose the A/C altogether - it just adds weight and saps engine power when running, and the Sprint has perfectly good wind-down windows!

Lauren
(Post Link) post #46 of 1863 Old 02-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I've been busy collecting bits from my donor 164 - and trying to sell unwanted parts (doors, wings etc) on e-bay , without success
I agree with Lauren - the air con is a "no - no" besides which I had forgotten that my Sprint has a sunroof - which obviously was leaking in the past as its been taped and stuck to try to seal it!
The gearchange on the V6 is a rod type but I am going to use the 164 steering column Shaft and UJs to go round to the front of the block, the rod change on the gearbox can be changed to run forwards - pictures to follow when I get the engine from Northants Alfa back to my garage.
(Post Link) post #47 of 1863 Old 05-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I've now got my "Very Rusty - suitable for Spares" Sprint into the "big shed" to stop the red Sprint from feeling lonely!
The plan has now evolved and I will use the latest silver Sprint as the basis for the 6C. It has a good interior and hopefuly running 1.5 engine and gearbox, so that will all transfer to the red Sprint to make a reasonable car. The outside panels are in poor condition but as they will be extensively modified for the 6C it makes more sense to use the worse body. The underside is good and there will be a roll cage for strength. So now to strip the Silver Sprint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silver Sprint 008.jpg (149.5 KB, 43 views)
AO Silver Member

Have you noticed there is a Sprint roll cage on ebay at the moment? Not cheap though.

rsfruitbat
(Post Link) post #49 of 1863 Old 06-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Fruitbat - thanks for the info _ I had not seen it but now have looked, and yes, it is too expensive for my needs - also I would want to alter it to pick up near the new rear suspension mounting area - and not have the door bars!
but once again thanks
AO Silver Member

Could always make them an offer . Cant see demand for it being that great but then again I havent seen them come up that often either. Other than that you might have to have a bespoke unit made. Be interesting to see how different a Scirrocco cage would be?

rsfruitbat

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint