Sprint 6C build up - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Re: Sprint 6C build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
mid-engined small cars are notoriously hard to correct if you go past the limit of grip..
Hmm, funny you should mention that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #427 of 1863 Old 18-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

I must get some driving tips from you Lauren!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
How does your car handle? I'd love a go in it but I wouldn't feel confident pushing it like I do in a medium-sized FWD or RWD car..

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How does your car handle?
Better these days, it must be said. The trouble with building in so much adjustability into the suspension (Rose joints everywhere), you have to spend a while setting it all up.

The Devils Punch Bowl incident was mainly down to driver error, but I did find out later that the rear suspension was crabbing, and the wheelbase was shorter on the nearside, which made the chassis more sensitive to oversteer on left hand bends...

I've done a proper 4-wheel alignment now, and haven't had an off since

Lauren
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Better these days, it must be said. The trouble with building in so much adjustability into the suspension (Rose joints everywhere), you have to spend a while setting it all up.

The Devils Punch Bowl incident was mainly down to driver error, but I did find out later that the rear suspension was crabbing, and the wheelbase was shorter on the nearside, which made the chassis more sensitive to oversteer on left hand bends...

I've done a proper 4-wheel alignment now, and haven't had an off since

Lauren
Much better

I would love my car to have that bit more adjustability in it. Even better I would love to build a tubular chassis and then fit my car's mechanicals, interior and exterior to it. Except maybe fit the engine the proper way round too

One day, when I win the lottery
Unregistered

County: Nicosia

What a FANTASTIC PROJECT !!!!!

Why havent I seen this thread before ?????

Sixnut my guess is that you are married and your wife doesnt let you watch TV or you found a way to get more than 24 hours out of a day

Fantastic job my friend. I admire you !!!

And to think that we were discussing and measuring a friends sprint this summer to fit the 16V in the rear of his sprint.

Well done my friend, I have no words to describe how great is your project ! You got me dreaming again
(Post Link) post #432 of 1863 Old 23-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Many Thanks 16V (nice looking 33) - and others - I am married and do watch TV! But I have not put much time in the garage recently - too cold and a bit poorly is my excuse
However I keep calling into the welders to get my petrol tank back - and they are never there, I've left phone messages and an e-mail but no response. Next door say they are "in sometimes but often Out on a Job!" I'm getting a bit frustrated.....
Unregistered

Thanx for the compliment sixnut. Unfortunately that 33 is now dead BUT I am building a new one. Hoping to start it up tonight or tomorrow the latest. You can check it out if you like. Its in the same forum " a new star is born ".

I should change my profile picture

Can't you do something else until the tank arrives ?
You got me hooked up here !!! I need to see the result of this project !!!
(Post Link) post #434 of 1863 Old 23-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Yes 16v I have been reading about your new 33 - good luck with getting the engine started - tonight??
I shall be starting on the sills soon - but there are so many jobs to be finished.......However I will be getting more work done soon and Kev has thrown down the challenge so I will have it out at the Italian Car Day July 12th
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Yes 16v I have been reading about your new 33 - good luck with getting the engine started - tonight??
I shall be starting on the sills soon - but there are so many jobs to be finished.......However I will be getting more work done soon and Kev has thrown down the challenge so I will have it out at the Italian Car Day July 12th
looking forward to it myself

(Post Link) post #436 of 1863 Old 24-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well I've been out in the cold and taken a sill off! It was actually better inside than I feared but it is very bad at the back. But then I compared the new sill with my old one and they are significantly different in profile -Have I got Sud sills by mistake??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 002.jpg (94.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 003.jpg (134.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 004.jpg (92.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 006.jpg (79.6 KB, 8 views)
kevjtd

could be sud sills, mine looked like this if it helps any
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/CIMG2803.jpg
remember someone lese getting sent sud sills instead of sprint ones recently, one of the guys on here from up in scotland i think, and he has ordered some from mr sud (steve parry)
familiar sight inside the sill sections though mate , don't envy you that job i still have nightmares
no, not that bad really, and you have done far more on the car before now keep going, july 12th is on its way

Unregistered

why did seals rust like that anyway ???
The only problem I have with both of my sprints are the rear wheel arches and some under the windshield.
One of my Sprints is actually outside in the rain all the time !

.... or am I in for a big surprise when I start rebuilding them ?
(Post Link) post #439 of 1863 Old 26-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi 16V
The problem of rusty sills etc is made a lot worse in the UK by the fact that we spread salt on our roads when there is ice in the winter.
I hope your Sprints are a lot less rusty
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjtd View Post
could be sud sills, mine looked like this if it helps any
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/CIMG2803.jpg
remember someone lese getting sent sud sills instead of sprint ones recently, one of the guys on here from up in scotland i think, and he has ordered some from mr sud (steve parry)
familiar sight inside the sill sections though mate , don't envy you that job i still have nightmares
no, not that bad really, and you have done far more on the car before now keep going, july 12th is on its way
Hi Guys

It was me who got the wrong sills ..... Steve Parry used a section off a Sud sill to have some new ones remanufactured but neither of us realised at the time that the Sprint sill is 5/16 of an inch deeper than the Sud sill.

You can fit the Sud sill to the Sprint but it wont match up with the bottom of the front wing.

Steve's now cut a profile from a Sprint and is having these remanufactured by the same engineering company so hopefully I should have these by the end of the week

Last edited by GTcoop; 24-08-12 at 12:33.
(Post Link) post #441 of 1863 Old 26-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi GT
- yes my Sills also came from Stephen Parry and he says they are Sud ones
Thanks for the diagram - but my Sprint sill has a much wider flat top section, with a shorter diagonal and less pronounced "step" also a less curved - almost flat vertical section - so I'm not sure what to expect
I will try to get a profile and dimensions drawn up.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sill profile.jpg (19.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 26-01-09 at 16:28.
AO Member

Hi Alfasixnut

Might seem like a daft question but are the sills that you cut off your car originals or replacements ? Most replacement sill are flat profiled as it's much cheaper to manufacture them without pressing curves into them.

The driver's side sill that I removed from my car was definately an original and it was profiled exactly as per the drawing in my last post. Can't imagine that Alfa would have changed the sill pressings mid way through production when the shell basically remained unchanged during it's entire production period (apart from the bumpers and a few cosmetics). The lower sections of both the front and rear wings are curved so in theory the sill should match with the same profile.

Steve has taken a profiled section off the sill of a Sprint that he was breaking and his metalwork guys are using that profile to make up a new batch of Sprint sills. I'm hoping to get mine in the next week or two so if you want to hold off till then I'll certainly let you know if they're any good.
kevjtd

are you also planning on putting any body-kit/side skirts on any difference in the profile would be covered up then making it a bit less of a problem with the shape

(Post Link) post #444 of 1863 Old 26-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Coop
I'm pretty certain that mine aere original as there is a dealers badge stuck on. There is a slight curve on the vertical but it is the top section that is where the big difference is, as you can just about make out in the photo?
Anyway I'm sure that Steve's new ones will be fine.
And yes Kev I may well be using the 164 lower sill covers as well - but we'll see later on.
Unregistered

Hi sixnut,

didnt you have another sprint shell for parts ?

Why dont you chop chop those seals ?

or maybe you can fix your the ones you have ?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
Hi Coop
I'm pretty certain that mine aere original as there is a dealers badge stuck on. There is a slight curve on the vertical but it is the top section that is where the big difference is, as you can just about make out in the photo?
Anyway I'm sure that Steve's new ones will be fine.
And yes Kev I may well be using the 164 lower sill covers as well - but we'll see later on.
I can see that your sill has a completely different profile at the door step. I suppose as long as it doesnt interfere with the bottom of the door then the profile at that part doesn't matter too much.

Looking at the parts catalogue, it only shows one part number for the outer sill, which is actually part of a murch larger panel forming the whole side aperture of the car ........ your's is definately different

Last edited by GTcoop; 24-08-12 at 12:33.
(Post Link) post #447 of 1863 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Coop
Well Steve hopes to have the new sills made fairly soon so, as long as they fit and the doors close, all will be well.
16V
- yes I do have another Sprint, which was bought for spares with no engine and gearbox,, but I will now be rebuilding that, with the 1.5 engine and box from the 6C car, to sell.
Re the 6C
The good news is that I finally got into the plastic fabricators yesterday - the bad news was that they had not done the fuel tank
Because they now want to insert the new plastic end piece - which will need carefully cutting to the profile of the inside of the tank
- so I now have that to do at home to save the cost of them having to do a fairly fiddly time consuming job - so out with the jig saw at the weekend!
Unregistered

maybe you should consider saving that spear sprint for spares anyway. How much will you sell it for anyway.
If you consider that if you get the parts you need out of that sprint instead of running out buying and fabricating new parts, at the end of the day you will save a lot of money and trouble and still have parts left just in case.

I have 4 sprints spares in my warehouse. Totally stripped them off, took whatever was ok and through out the rusted or smashed shell.

I have doors, windscreens, front wings, 3 bonnets, 2 or 3 rear doors 2 engines 3 gearboxes etc etc etc.

I junked a sprint that was a total rust bucket, after stripping it off just last month. If I knew you needed the sills I could have cut them up and send them to you , postage only.

I never needed sills for any of my cars and I dont think I ever will :/
(Post Link) post #449 of 1863 Old 01-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

16V - I thought about using one Sprint for spares but the 6C car was actually the worse for rust and the red one can be brought back with less work - also I think it will go for a reasonable price??
Anyway got some work done on the fuel tank.I cut the shape out of cardboard and then transferred it to the plastic sheet. Jigsawed the shape and filed to get it closer - still some gaps but I'm sure the plastic welder can cope with that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 008.jpg (160.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 2 010.jpg (191.2 KB, 11 views)
kevjtd

that looks a neat job done, do you know how much fuel it will hold long distance use won't be an issue i guess

as for the other sprint you have, it sounds well worth putting together and MOT'ing, should fetch a nice sum then towards the 6C build just get it roadworthy and leave the tidying to the next owner

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page