Sprint 6C build up - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

County: -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Sprint 6C build up

Great pictures Greek! Very little difference from stock under the bonnet, apart from the square tube reinforcement. Engine and transmission look fantastic!

Have you got any pictures of the Junior Zagato Periscopio???

Only kidding, I've got my fix for today

Lauren
AO Silver Member

I wonder why they put a lot more inclination on the front struts?

rsfruitbat

AO Silver Member

I am guessing they are using different suspension because also in the back the mounting points are double for each side....
AO Silver Member

I can understand the rear with it being completely different having a transaxle?
On the front though they have plated over the std mounting and tipped the strut top in.
If you look hard the front is also fairly heavily modified.
The box section strut brace is also lowered by about 100mm as the heater hoses now come out over the top of it, battery has swapped side (LHD?) and been brought closer to centreline as they have had to chop off the end of the airscoop.

rsfruitbat
AO Silver Member

Maybe they wanted to add weight to counterbalance the rear otherwise no steering...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
Great pictures Greek! Very little difference from stock under the bonnet, apart from the square tube reinforcement. Engine and transmission look fantastic!

Have you got any pictures of the Junior Zagato Periscopio???

Only kidding, I've got my fix for today

Lauren
As requested..
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9...scopio1hs4.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1...scopio2wr7.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3...scopio3ev8.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1...scopio4js9.jpg
AO Silver Member

front
back
side

rsfruitbat
(Post Link) post #409 of 1863 Old 08-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Thanks for the pictures Greek - I note that the rear axle is way off centre going through the hole!! Italian measuring is as good as mine! I tried to borrow an air gun from my local tyre fitter but they said that it was not very good as they often had to use a bar extension on car wheel nuts.....
Our Computer had a virus which had to be cleaned, hence delay in replying.
AO Silver Member

Thanks Greek, you're The Man

The engine configuration is just the same as the OSI Scarabeo - only the other way round from the car at Arese - in the Periscopio the transmission is on the left of the engine (looking forwards from the back). But the first Scarabeo was RHD, so the engine would couterbalance a single occupant, and Periscopio is LHD, so engine is on the right... makes sense I suppose.

I can even see the angle drive transfer box to the diff as well! Great pictures!

Hi Fruitbat - I agree its not the prettiest car ever made (the Junior Z was an acquired taste anyway), but the concept of a small-capacity mid-engined Alfa Romeo sportscar in 1970????? That's what I find exciting - that there were engineers in the plant that were thinking along those lines at that time. I've always found it strange that Guigiaro used the FWD 'Sud floorpan for the Caimano concept car when it could have worked so much better with the engine in the middle. But I suppose a lot of the original 'Sud bits would have to have been lost in the process and the intention of the Caimano was to help promote and sell Alfasuds...

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFruitbat View Post
I can understand the rear with it being completely different having a transaxle?
On the front though they have plated over the std mounting and tipped the strut top in.
If you look hard the front is also fairly heavily modified.
The box section strut brace is also lowered by about 100mm as the heater hoses now come out over the top of it, battery has swapped side (LHD?) and been brought closer to centreline as they have had to chop off the end of the airscoop.

rsfruitbat
Those top mounts are at quite an angle too. My guess would be that its not a Mac strut under there - the angle of the strut would be a long way off vertical, even for an Alfasud!

Double wishbones (or at least links and control arms) would have a spring/damper unit at an angle like that, and being shorter would not need top mounts as high up in the structure.

That's my guess anyway. It would be nice if the Alfa engineers were that thorough in their design - it proves the 6C wasn't just cobbled together in 5 minutes

Lauren
(Post Link) post #412 of 1863 Old 10-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Lauren
I think you may well be right about the double wishbone idea - there does seem to be an extra reinforcement tube? running forward above the bottom tube.
Anyway I have been out in this freezing cold.... and got the two driveshafts off! Those hub nuts were SO Tight! but a long tube extension ( the one to reinforce the Sills) and banging with a hammer whilst standing on the tube finally did the trick.
I've also started on shaping the tailgate - "thermoacoustic" rear screen/bulkhead. The headling has had to be cut so that the screen can fit right up into the roof, I will be making it removeable so a fair amount will need to be done to create a suitable frame for the screen......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 1 001.jpg (123.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 1 002.jpg (73.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint build 09 1 003.jpg (102.3 KB, 6 views)
kevjtd

well done mate on getting the driveshaft out, sometimes the silly things can cause problems
very cold out as you say, makes it difficult to keep going but keep at it summer will be here all too soon

AO Silver Member

Hi Philip - well done for persevering with those driveshafts! I think Alfa tend to use threadlocking compounds on hub nuts and splined shafts as well, which makes the seal even more difficult to break.

Cold is the right word - apart from a couple of forays into the garage to (a) fix at least one of the oil leaks in my engine and (b) to discover that my new fabricated front suspension uprights won't work with my wishbones, I've stayed indoors!

(My excuse is that I need to consider my options )

Is it your intention to have a removable bulkhead and window? Wouldn't it be better to fix the window in an upper framework and have a separate removable bulkhead panel below it? That would be easier to seal and probably structurally more sound, as you could brace the frame with a transverse member at shoulder height...

Although I agree it would make engine access just that little bit easier!

Excellent progress, as always - and in the depths of winter too. I'm ashamed to be indoors, surfing!

Lauren
(Post Link) post #415 of 1863 Old 11-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Lauren
I have got that big front 164 cross member welded in to the 164 inner wings and to the B pillars and it will be braced down to the reinforced sills and Sprint rear box section floor cross member. There will be a tube framework around the top of the B pillars and across the roof so that the Tailgate frame and glass can be bolted in place, as is the lower bulkhead sheet metal. So there is lots of reinforcement but still accessability.......I hope!
I have now purchased another wing section for the offside rear wing so that is one more item off the list of "stuff to sort".
My petrol tank is still at the Plastic welders - but they have been out when I have called round - 3 times so far.........
Club Member

County: North
Garage

just happened upon this thread - what a brilliant story

top work, fella
(Post Link) post #417 of 1863 Old 12-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well only a short time spent in the garage but I've started to prepare the box section tubes that will be the sill reinforcement (They have each got two brackets that are welded on (See the picture on P12 22 Oct )so it was out with the angle grinder and two brackets are off already.
AO Member

County: Essex

If I was building it I would definately go for a longitudinally mounted engine using a 3.8 from AH Motorsport with a Porsche G50 gearbox. If I had loads of money! Good luck with the build mate.
AO Member

Stickyfinger.
As a matter of acdemic interest ,what sort of performance would you anticipate the 3.8 Sprint achieving.in accelleration and top speed.
No doubt Alfa Six nut has the figures for the prototype 6c and would rather stay in control and in pocket.
Young Alf.
(Post Link) post #420 of 1863 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Sticky and Young Alf
Well I certainly haven't got "Loads of money" so that makes it even more of a challenge
Regarding the performance - I've only got a couple of figures for the original 6C - 133mph (Tim's page) or "more than 210 kph" - but mine will have about 40 HP more for the same sort of weight so I would think 0 - 60 in about 5 or 6secs?? and a top speed around 140 ish (not that I will be driving at those sort of speeds)

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 15-01-09 at 04:07.
Club Member

County: Cumbria

What size tyres are you going to have on the back? Thats gonna affect your 0-60 more than anything. A much heavier 156 GTA does 60 in only 6 seconds, so this Sprint should do it much faster, provided you have traction. Imagine fitting it with some 255/35/17 road legal trackday tyres, and doing a 'fast launch. I reckon it'd break the 5 second barrier, easy.. 4.9
(Post Link) post #422 of 1863 Old 16-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Pud
You are probably correct - but I will be using the existing 164 wheels and tyres.
I spent 20 years drag racing in a variety of classes including using a straight six 2600 Alfa in a Competition Altered which did 0 - 110mph in 12.2 seconds! But I am not planning on going back to the track with the 6C.
I have now de- bracketed the other Sill box section and also picked up a rear wing section for the drivers side.
Club Member

County: Cumbria

What wheels and tyres came with the 164? I would have thought 225 width as a minimum on the rear, remember where your centre of gravity is, you need all the grip you can get on the rear, mid-engined small cars are notoriously hard to correct if you go past the limit of grip..
(Post Link) post #424 of 1863 Old 18-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Pud
At present the tyres on the back are the 164 ones at 205/55/16", the fronts are Sprint 185/55/14". I will see how it goes when the car is running but I am not aiming to go speeding around like a loony (Too old for that.....)
The original 6C had 225/50/15" rear and 205/50/15" front tyres. It also had a mid mounted fuel tank whereas mine will be at the front so my weight distribution may be a bit more even? (but the CoG of the transverse engine and gearbox may be further back than the original longitudinal 6C engine and transaxle)
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

its going to be a very entertaining machine

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint