Sprint 6C build up - Page 14 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan
Re: Sprint 6C build up

I can`t understand why black and grey are so popular. Both are depressing colours and black is only for hearses (or wheels). I would go for, yellow, red, dark blue or silver. In that order and with the alloys in black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kevjtd

nice picture for your workshop
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo-Alf...1%7C240%3A1318

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfasud V8

Black is always good but I hope your bodywork skills are bang on as Black shows all the bad bits, as do dark blues, gun metal greys etc.

Is orange asking to much?

Ed

AO Member
Sud/Sprint/33 Lounge Winner 09

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasixnut View Post
After my silly mistake in not buying the rear screen slatted section I consoled myself with this for the front - only mocked up in place but I think it will set the front off a treat???
Never seen one of those before. Whats it made of - and where did you find it?!!
(Post Link) post #330 of 1863 Old 27-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thnks for that link Kev - I'm in the lead on bidding! but not prepared to pay silly money....
Eddie
- my bodywork skills are not brilliant - but then neither are my spraying skills
But I am cheap But I hadn't thought of Orange
Greg
It is from an Alfetta GTV and is "Bumper grade plastic"
AO Member

County: -

As one who has contributed to the funding of your project by buying spares from the 164 donor car ,and have seen the sights of your workshop ,I hope you wont mind literally a lateral thought on the important fuel tank question.
I have joined the long list of members interested in the 6c story.but out of my depth when creative engineeing is concerned.but here goes.

With the safety aspect a prominent featue of recent discussion on the subject, could twin fibreglass motorcycle fuel tanks be an realistic proposition.? I believe you might have the depth you are after.
Knowing you to be a motorcycle enthusiast,perhaps the idea is not without interest.
Best wishes
Gerry
Young Alf.

Young Alf
AO Member

Wow- just discovered this thread. I read an article about the 6C a while back. Apparently it was all ready for production and a lot of people in Alfa were very keen to do it but it got the red light at the last minute. What a pity, such a beautiful and desireable car. Great project anyway- can't wait to see the car finished!!
(Post Link) post #333 of 1863 Old 28-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Gerry
Thanks for your thoughts on the fuel tank - I think that twin tanks might be more complex - but ..."I have a cunning plan" which might work, but needs a bit of trial and error fabrication/welding to see if it is viable.....
and "Thanks" Alesi - I hope to get it running next year and out in public at one or two shows later in the year.....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Hi Sixnut - great progress, as always! I like your new front airdam too, looks like a useful downforce aid with that splitter. Without the front bumper it looks just like a Giocattolo

(are you going to use the bumper, or run it without?)

I'm sure you've received all the advice you need on fuel tanks, but one other possibility that I can't help mentioning is Lancia Stratos fuel tanks. These are obviously available from current kit manufacturers like Hawk (who I believe acquired the Transformer model) and others.

Anyway, back to the point - the Stratos used two slim inverted cone tanks either side of the rear bulkhead, just forward of the (transverse) V6 engine. I'm guessing that with a longer overall wheelbase than the Stratos you might have enough room behind the seats to squeeze them in?

Obviously they would need to be protected from side impact, but a comprehensive roll cage would do that.

Or, if there is enough space behind the seats across the width of the car, an X1-9 fuel tank? Or has that already been suggested?

I'm with Alfa 302 - Orange - that outrageous orange-red used on Lamborghini Miuras (my Barracuda was painted a similar colour, was actually a Skoda shade!)

A 1970's car deserves a "high impact" colour. Plus there is an inherent safety value in hi-vis!

(just don't get caught speeding... very obvious )

Lauren

Alfanauts are GO!!!
(Post Link) post #335 of 1863 Old 29-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Lauren
Thanks as ever for your support and input - However I think that I have now sortd the fuel tank question.....
And possibly resolved All the concerns and requirements????
I was looking again at the 164 tank and realised that it was not a one piece rotational moulding but a top and bottom (Plastic)welded together.......
So I've cut one end off. Heated the and bent the flap that I left, and now all I need is to find a friendly plastic welder to seal it up!
So I will be able to use the Alfa 164 fuel pump (to suit the engine) and fuel gauge sender unit which hopefully will work the Sprint gauge. It is a plastic tank with lots of clearance between it and the radiator. It is low and back in the chassis. It is an Alfa unit. And it saves buying another petrol tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build Pics 13 001.jpg (239.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build Pics 13 002.jpg (237.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build Pics 13 007.jpg (249.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build Pics 13 006.jpg (126.3 KB, 19 views)
kevjtd

clever stuff

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Hey, that is clever! Just don't use a soldering iron for welding plastic, it gets too hot and creates a brittle joint (still used the technique to successfully weld the stub pipe on my washing machine extractor pump though )

Lamborghini Orange, Lamborghini Orange, Lamborghini Orange...

Lauren
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

I'm with you on the Lambo orange Spacenut, that would do the trick!!

Sixnut, it might be a good move to base it all up inside and out, in either satin black or white and then just paint the outside in your chosen colour after getting it on the road and giving it a shake down for a while. The reason behind this being that you may find that joints could settle/crack on the added on spoiler/mouldings etc which can then be sorted before a final paint finnish.
A lad that I work with fitted a GRP body kit to his Vauxhall Corsa a few years back. Now, we've all seen the mess that some of these aftermarket kits end up, but this guy really took his time, let it all settle, filled and reshaped the whole thing once fitted to the car, then had it all painted silver, as per the original colour on the car, then re-prepped it and had the outside painted in a perlescent silver . The finnished job is a truly amazing finnish, "as if it grew there"

A body finnish like this would truley compliment all of the hard work that has gone into this "re-engineering" project.

Keep your Alfa in good tune, Please drive harder and faster!!!!!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

...Plus you get to drive around with a monster-evil matt black car for a bit
(Post Link) post #340 of 1863 Old 30-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Lauren
Evil Black - then Lambo Orange it is then......
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

A bit like this one from 20piter

Retro Rides - Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 86'

Last edited by Pascs; 07-04-12 at 14:09.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Hmm - well, not exactly. The colour I was thinking of wasn't the metallic orange used by current Audi/Lambos, but the solid orange/red used on the original Miura and Urraco. I'm not sure what Sixnut has in mind though...

...A bit like this in fact (my old Barracuda, before I put 38,000 hard miles on it )

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x.../smallfish.jpg

The Sprint looks nice, but the paint makes it too "custom car" for my liking...

Lauren

Last edited by Spacenut; 30-11-08 at 21:20.
AO Silver Member

....or something like the orange in Focus ST...
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfasud V8

When I suggested orange I was thinking along the lines of papaya orange, this is the orange that McLaren F1 GTR's were painted, try the link and then picture black..no contest.

However it's your car and an extension of you... I just get wet for Yellow and Orange

McLaren F1 LM by UT Models

Last edited by alfa302; 01-12-08 at 12:47.
(Post Link) post #345 of 1863 Old 01-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well I think it will be the Orange of the early Lambo (.....or the Focus?) - the 20Piter is a bit too coppery/modern for my taste and the F1 is a bit too "loud" - but 302, the sound track was awesome. I was in London years ago trying to park around the back of Harrods (- as you do!) and I heard this gorgeous "blipping" of a Big tuned Japanese 4 cylinder bike - except when I caught a glimpse of it --it was an F1, the engine sound was SO crisp and the pick up so quick
Very nice 'Cuda Lauren - was it a 340ci or a 383?
I have now found a local place to do the petrol tank plastic welding but they felt that it would be better to take off the "flap" and they will weld a complete new flat end piece. So I've now cut the flap off and smoothed the end to give a flat surface.
kevjtd

Quote:
Well I think it will be the Orange of the early Lambo (.....or the Focus?) - the 20Piter is a bit too coppery/modern for my taste and the F1 is a bit too "loud" - but 302, the sound track was awesome. I was in London years ago trying to park around the back of Harrods (- as you do!) and I heard this gorgeous "blipping" of a Big tuned Japanese 4 cylinder bike - except when I caught a glimpse of it --it was an F1, the engine sound was SO crisp and the pick up so quick
Very nice 'Cuda Lauren - was it a 340ci or a 383?
I have now found a local place to do the petrol tank plastic welding but they felt that it would be better to take off the "flap" and they will weld a complete new flat end piece. So I've now cut the flap off and smoothed the end to give a flat surface.
know what you mean about the engine sound, one of my favourites was actually one locallish to me a few years back and i did follow it through town once, couldn't believe how effortlesly it sped away also was the winning car the one and only time i've been to the le mans 24 hour race in '95, plenty of them that year, the sound was awesome
nice you have found someone to sort out the tank, should work out well any idea on capacity will you be stopping every 50 miles to refil
good work as always

(Post Link) post #347 of 1863 Old 02-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Well the fuel tank is now at the plastics fabricators and should be ready next week
But I have also found out that the 3rd Annual Bedfordshire Italian Car Day will be on at VesuviO (Sharnbrook Hotel on the A6) on July 12th.
This is just down the road from me, so I intend to have the 6C ready to debut there
- Kev - "the race is on....."
kevjtd

Quote:
- Kev - "the race is on....."

better get down the shed tonight then to do a bit more to my loom, got all the terminals i need today just one relay came wrong

would be nice if we could both make it
and the other ongoing projects

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa302 View Post
...I just get wet for Yellow...
Hmm, I know what you mean

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...ut/banana9.jpg

...Another of my high impact coloured steeds This time its GM Competition Yellow, although a subsequent owner has returned it to its orignal metallic silver.

Hi Sixnut - the Barracuda was a European export 318 V8, not the big-inch engine. I liked the flat hood treatment. This particular one turned out to be the original 1971 Brussels motor show car, and had every concievable performance and handling option... except the big V8. Handled really well for a Yank though

The car is now being "restored", although now its got a non-standard 383/727 drivetrain and will be a non-original colour, but hey! Its not my car anymore.

Lauren
(Post Link) post #350 of 1863 Old 03-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi Lauren
Was that a real "Droop Snoot" Firenza?? Certainly is a high impact colour.
Anyway I've been out collecting another - possibly final major, piece of my mechanical jigsaw.
This will hopefully be the basis of my "Thermo-acoustic" barrier ie top half of the bulkhead behind the seat so that the engine compartment is fully sealed from the rest of the car interior.

Oh can anybody tell me the nut size for the front hub driveshaft - is it 37mm? Knowing it will save me having to take the wheel off again and measuring it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprint 6C build Pics 13 bulkhead 002.jpg (98.5 KB, 7 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
build , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page