Sprint engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 08-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Sprint engine

Hi, just recently joined the forum. So I'm feeling my way in asking questions and hope that I am in the right area. From the Republic of Ireland and I am looking for a 1.7 boxer engine for my 1988 Sprint. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction ...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leics.

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Hi and welcome
I think it would be worth a call to John at "Justsuds"
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Definitely in the right part of the forum - although I guess it might be worth asking in the 145/146 section as well as the early versions share basically the same engine.........some differences, but I think they can be sorted.

John at Justsuds definitely worth a check -he's a good lad, and I sold him a lot of my boxer stuff when I left my old unit, and he's had a fair few cars in for breaking, too. Welcome to Justsuds
(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys, thanks for replying to my query on Sprint engine, really appreciate it. Will give John at JustSuds a call and see what he has in stock...
AO Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
Hi guys, thanks for replying to my query on Sprint engine, really appreciate it. Will give John at JustSuds a call and see what he has in stock...
I have a 1.7 engine in my '82 Sprint. I believe it came from a 33.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, thanks for your post. Yeah the 33 had the same style boxer engine. That would definitely be another direction to think about.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Just a thought, you can also fit the 16V boxer that was in some of the early 146/7 cars but the front cross member may need changing or "adjusting".
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 12-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, have been checking the net for different variations of boxer engines and what might suit me best. Just when I think I have something that would work I come across something else. Looked up the 146/7 also, this could be a possibility too with some adjustments, but just not sure which road to take. I don't want to jump in head first, will have to give it more though. Thanks again for your thoughts.
AO Silver Member

I think you mean 145/6, the 147 is totally different.

Any twin carb 1.7 8 valve engine from a 33 or sprint will bolt right in. A 16v is a lot more work to fit and in fact the 145/6 16v motor won't fit as is because the inlet manifold is too tall and the bonnet won't close. You need a manifold from a 33 16v.
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 12-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, your right on both accounts. The 145/6 are the similar engines. I think I will take your sound advice and go the route of the 1.7 8 valve. At least I know that it will fit straight in without any hidden problems or nasty surprises. Thanks a million.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Sorry that I got my 145,6,7s mixed up, and yes, the 8V 1.7 engine would be the easiest to fit - but the later 16V engines do fit without affecting the bonnet ref my 16V build thread (-which used to be!) on here.

Last edited by Alfasixnut; 12-10-16 at 16:09.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 13-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, no worries on that score...... I really appreciate that you went to the trouble to post me in the first place. Have been talking with John at Justsuds which you told me about already. Had a good long chat with him, so he is going to see if he can source a 1.7 8 valve engine for me. All going well he will come up with something that suits. Thanks again....
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi sixnut, read your entire tread on your Sprint 6C Build Up, over the weekend. Well impressed with what you accomplished and the way in which you went about your business.
There's me thinking that I'm the great lad about putting an Alfa 33 8v 1.7 engine into my 88 Sprint. Sorry to read that you sold it in the end after all your hard work. But to have build it in the first place was an almighty achievement, hat off to you.
Hope to talk with you over the course of my own little project and if I run into trouble maybe you might be able to give me some advice from time to time.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ex 3 Sprints

Thank you, happy to help - PM sent
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That would be great. Really appreciate to have your vast amount of knowledge on board. Thanks.
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
Hi, just recently joined the forum. So I'm feeling my way in asking questions and hope that I am in the right area. From the Republic of Ireland and I am looking for a 1.7 boxer engine for my 1988 Sprint. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction ...?
I've just taken a 1.7 8v engine out of my Minari as I'm going 16v it was running well, but seems to be leaking a bit of of oil from the head gaskets, could part with it for the right amount.
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Alfaman, thanks for your post. I have managed to locate an 1.7 engine for my Sprint and I am in the middle of getting it sorted at the moment.
Thanks once again and a big thanks to all that took the time to reply to my thread "Sprint engine" Cathal ....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
engine , sprint