Sprint LHD to RHD conversion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Sprint LHD to RHD conversion

So I'm looking at buying a LHD Alfasud Sprint Veloce (circa 1980) and was wondering if the conversion from LHD to RHD is 'relatively' straightforward. I believe the body shells are the same, and obtain the necessary mechanical parts (steering rack / column, dashboard, pedals, master cylinder etc..) should be fairly easy.

I plan to have it bare metal resprayed so I would do a full nut and bolt strip down, in which case put it back together as a RHD should be straight forward. Or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

The shells are certainly different from rhd to lhd. The bathtub/bulkhead area is basically a mirror image, with the battery, fuse box and coil assembly swapping sides to allow for the pedal box to swap sides. The large hole for the pedal box is the obvious structural change, but the battery mounting plate and fuse box bracket are other sheetmetal differences. Also from memory, the hole the spline of the steering rack pokes into for connection to the steering column. So a few adjustments to make, but nothing insurmountable.

In terms of other differences, I don't believe the pedal assembly, steering column, or brake/clutch master cylinders are different, but the brake and clutch hydraulic pipes are. The wiring loom is sure to be different also, but this may be able to be 'reconfigured'. A pair of good rhd dip beam headlights could be tricky to find as well, but there are ways around this. I think the door mirror is non handed so can just be swapped over.

Luckily Alfa didn't bother swapping the boot release to the right side so you needn't either.

As an aside, why do you want to do this conversion?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
The shells are certainly different from rhd to lhd. The bathtub/bulkhead area is basically a mirror image, with the battery, fuse box and coil assembly swapping sides to allow for the pedal box to swap sides. The large hole for the pedal box is the obvious structural change, but the battery mounting plate and fuse box bracket are other sheetmetal differences. Also from memory, the hole the spline of the steering rack pokes into for connection to the steering column. So a few adjustments to make, but nothing insurmountable.

In terms of other differences, I don't believe the pedal assembly, steering column, or brake/clutch master cylinders are different, but the brake and clutch hydraulic pipes are. The wiring loom is sure to be different also, but this may be able to be 'reconfigured'. A pair of good rhd dip beam headlights could be tricky to find as well, but there are ways around this. I think the door mirror is non handed so can just be swapped over.

Luckily Alfa didn't bother swapping the boot release to the right side so you needn't either.

As an aside, why do you want to do this conversion?
I want an early sprint, there is a wider choice available in Europe, and I really don't want a LHD in the UK, tried it and hated it. At the moment there is not much choice in the UK without spending upwards of 15K which seems high to me...

AO Member

County: Greater London
I have a LHD Sprint Veloce which had been slightly modified for use in the UK. It is a Trofeo from 83, and the plan is to make it fully LHD as it is going to Canada. This includes getting rid of the MPH speedo, the RHD lights and details like that. Also the wheels and seats as it is have the standard velour trim. The wipers need to be changed around for RHD, not an issue for a major respray but you will require a different mechanism. The wiring loom will be the wrong way around and will require a RHD dash. So a donor car would be useful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

Tags
conversion , lhd , rhd , sprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page