Numpty suspension question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Numpty suspension question

<numpty mode on>

Complete lack of knowledge is stopping me from making a proper decision here so help please!

166 is at Alfatech for service. Just had a call to say all is OK, but that there is a 'tiny bit of play' in both lower arms in the rear suspension and in the NS front too.

I'm told the arms cost a lot (an ARM and a leg! ) to replace. Is the problem here likely to be the ball joint that Ken was talking about a few weeks ago that can be replaced relatively cheaply?

If it is then I'll leave it for now until I have space in the garage (we've just moved) to overhaul the whole lot myself once the evenings draw in. I am not mechanically inept, but I have never had suspension to bits on a car before, so I'd really need to take my time with it and learn as I went along. I'd replace shockers at same time. What new tools would I need (bearing puller? Spring compressor?).

<numpty mode off>

Rich T

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Re: Numpty suspension question

It really isn't that bad a job to do Rich, the bearings are only a tenner each and any decent garage would be able to change them quite quickly. Have a good read at this thread, it will answer most of your questions.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Re: Numpty suspension question

Ah, the joys of a friendly mechanic who understands that I do know SOMETHING about these things. He says it's not the ball joint end of the arm, but the bush at the other end that's got a bit of play. Time to jack it up myself and have a fiddle.

Eper CD / workshop manual on the way: I feel up for this. Meanwhile Alfatech's working out how much they would charge to do it. If it's cheap enough I'll just throw it at them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

numpty , question , suspension