Should the MAF be ticking? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

Should the MAF be ticking?

Went to look at another 166 today...1999 build, Silver/Blue Leather, 77,000kms and full service history, and good price.

I was a bit disappointed however, as the body had an array of dints and stone chips, the alloys had been curbed. The dealer obviously had no idea about 166s - turned on the ICS and it wanted the I told him it was in the service books. When I did that, he basically gave me the service books and said "I know nothing, you sort it out".

Keys in the ignition, and trying all the electrics, I found that the rear electric windows were really really struggling to go up and down, especially the one on right hand side. It needed my help to move up about 1/3 of the window.

Then turned the engine on. Idle seemed to be really really rough and when I opened the bonnet I noticed a ticking, which I swear was coming from the MAF.

Looking at the books I also noticed that the car needed its belts changed as they were last done in 2003.

The car sort of just gave me the impression of hiding lots of other problems...

I also went to look at another 166 (2002, Black/Black leather, 47000kms) at an Alfa dealer, but it had been sold. The salesman took my number though and told me that they might have one I'd be interested in coming through.

The search continues
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: Should the MAF be ticking?

The phrase "Walk away" comes to mind.....
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: Should the MAF be ticking?

As far as I know Mafs do not tick.

They are solid state devices with a hot wire and the air flow over this wire and the magic of the electronics adjusts the throttle body via the ecu.

The ticking or clicking is probably from the throttle body housing and again as far as I know its normal as my 2 do it as does my daughter's bravo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

maf , ticking