Summer ghosts in my 166 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Summer ghosts in my 166

After more than 3 years of pleasure, I sell my 96’s 164 2.0 TS with 300k km. She still runs well (with some increased oil consumption – 0.5 liter/ 1000km).
Now, already 2 months, I enjoy in 99’s 166 3.0 Super 120k km, full option.
Everything was OK till two weeks ago when day temperature was over 35˚C – central locking system refuse to close the doors remotely nor manually! I must go around the car, open and closed all doors few times and after (hopefully) she agrees to lock the doors!
When I try to lock doors remotely, alarm is turn on normally but red alarm LED on the dash have some strange additional blinking sequence – about 10 short blinks before starts normal blinking rate of about 1 blink every 3 seconds.
When I drive the car and lock driver’s door (pushing button down), sometimes, if everything is OK, all doors will be locked, but mostly she locks all doors but some “click, click” from rear left doors occur, and than after maybe 10 clicks (30 seconds) she unlocks all doors!
Same was happen once when I force closing the doors manually from back doors – I come back on parking after 20 minutes and found all doors unlocked!
Over the night (light or temperature goes down???) I observed this problem very rarely.
Few days ago I take out lock mechanism from left back doors, fill up with contact cleaner, dry with compressed air and fill with WD40 but no changes.
Any advices are more than appreciate.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Summer ghosts in my 166

OK, its time to be serious..
I found wiring diagram of door locking system and i hope now i'll find some more logic (if any) in my problem.
If you interested in wiring diagram tell me how to post pdf file on forum?
PS Also additional strange thing - when engine running and i press driver door locking knob and shift gear lever (automatic) from P to R or D, dors start locking and unlocking!!!???
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Summer ghosts in my 166

One more useful text about central locking...

The lock motors of all four doors are activated simultaneously upon a command:

-from the key
-from the front door switches (knobs);
-from the remote control

Lock operation is controlled by the integrated service control unit located on the right hand side beneath the facia.
The control unit monitors lock status by means of signals received from switches located on the four locks (these signals are also used to time the lighting). A lock command is issued only when all doors are properly closed and the front locks are released; Conversely, a release command is issued only when the front catches are locked.

The control unit also runs a series of safety checks:

-switch position is checked at the end of each operation. If this position does not agree with the action carried out (e.g. if a door is open), a repulsion command is issued, i.e. the opposite manoeuvre is carried out to realign all the locks.

-if the control unit detects too many complete, consecutive lock/release manoeuvres - at least 8 within 20 seconds - the system cuts in to limit the manoeuvres: the system is inhibited in release position for 30 seconds.

-If battery voltage drops below 9 V during a lock/release operation, the system suspends the operation. If battery voltage is lower than 9 V at the outset, no command is issued.

The door lock circuit is protected by a special fuse located in the junction unit.

The remote control receiver power supply is protected by a fuse
located in the junction unit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , ghosts , summer