164 Cloverleaf 24v Speedlines - Stud Removal ideas please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
164 Cloverleaf 24v Speedlines - Stud Removal ideas please!

Hi All,

Would like to get my Speedlines refurb'd, the standard 24v cloverleaf ones.

Obviously the Allen bolts are fake studs, just wondered whether they do actually unscrew out or if it's a case of "only come off by breaking".

My old RSL's were much more obvious - had holes at the back so you could punch the studs out....

Regards all

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Shanks's pony

Re: 164 Cloverleaf 24v Speedlines - Stud Removal ideas please!

As you say, the bolts are plastic fake ones and, AFAIK, don't unscrew.

I'm sure I've read somewhere (possibly on this forum) about someone finding a firm who successfully refurbished them, without removing the "bolts".

I ended up drilling mine out, before having them refurbished. I was going to replace the plastic bolts with M7 allen-headed bolts, glued into the holes, but never got round to it.

Try looking on some of the American forums (164Digest, AlfaBB) to see if anyone's posted there.

AO Silver Member
County: -

I had mine refurbed on my old 164 (before it self combusted) at Lepsons (they have a website). Polished rims, drilled out and put in new matching stainless steel studs and painted the centre silver. All the wheels were laquered before the new studs were put in. All for approx £270.

That said, I still have the spare out of my car. It is mint, 100% original and never been on a car. There is not a stone chip on it and it's in perfect condition. I'm going to put it on Ebay soon, but would like £75-£100 for it if possible. It has a superb tyre on it too!
AO Member

If you go onto eBay and put "Wheel refurbishment" in to SEARCH it will bring up a company called WRC, somewhere in Lancs as I recall. They will do a set of 4 16" or 17" wheels for £155 - courier cost should be about £50 for the round trip.

I believe that the pseudo allen bolts should be removed and, when interviewing the company some time back, I recall that they have a source for the plastic bolts. These are then stuck in once the wheel has been finished. They did a really good job on a set of magnesium rimmed/steel centred wheels about two years ago.

If you track them down, and I'm sure you will, let me know the details and how you get on. Mention my name, AntMat, and you might get a discount!!!

I was about to have a set of 5 multi-spoked 18" ATS wheels refurbished but have decided to sell them instead. I was going to have them finished in graphite but decided to go back to 16" Pepperpots for the Q4 - coming along nicely as we speak !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , 24v , cloverleaf , ideas , removal , speedlines , stud