Zender Kit + Alloys - What should I do?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Wave Zender Kit + Alloys - What should I do??

Hello all,

I have decided to definately get the Zender rear apron bumper to match the Zender sills and front bumper I have. My rear bumper is scratched and scuffed anyway, so this makes sense to me.

My question is whether to get my Alloys refurbed while I have the new bumper fitted and the car touched up? I have the standard 16 inch wheels. Does anyone else out there have a Zender kit on a car with 16s? I'd love to see a picture to help me make the decision... I am obviously tempted by a set of Siennas or equiv (with Alfa badging) but the cost of this is too much for me at present what with getting the bumper sorted and paying a few hundred more out for a general tidy up of my body work (ooh er...). No point in forking out on a refurb if I'm gunna replace the alloys in 6 months or so...

Also, as an aside, how easy is it to match the rolling radius of 17s + tyres to that of the 16s plus tyres?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Re: Zender Kit + Alloys - What should I do??

IMO, and I have had both 17"s and now have 16"s.

The 17"s look fantastic. They really set the car off and with a body kit as well can look awesome. However, like everything in life there is a compromise. The ride is really bad. Stones feel like boulders! Pot holes jar the whole car and ruin your rims. Like anything, you do get used to the hard ride, or make allowances, but be prepared to refirb your alloys regularly to keep them looking good.

The 16"s still look ok, but the ride is so much better. My 16's don't have any damage as yet (Still taking the same route to work) and of course tyres are cheaper!!

The solution is 2 sets. The 17"s for show days and the 16"s for general use. Not that thats very practical!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

AO Member

I'd definitely advise to get at least some 17's, especially with the complete Zender set the 16's will look small.

Use this link to see what new tire size you need to get a comparable rolling radiius: Tyre size calculator
AO Silver Member
County: Berlin

If you're definitely going for the Zender, then it certainly makes sense to do the other areas of bodywork which need attention at the same time. I've never seen the Zender kit on a car with 16s but I have a feeling it won't look right. I think you should go for the 17s but, as you say, it probably then doesn't make sense to refurbish the 16s. Also depends on how long you intend keeping them, though.

As for rolling radius, I expected them to be the same, as the 16s were fitted with 205/55s and the 17s with 225/45s

Everybody stay calm. Don't panic. It's just the end of the world. It'll be all right, as long as we all keep chanting.
AO Member
County: City of Zagreb

16" would definitely look small with the Zender kit. Even 17" look small It depends really on the colour of the car.
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

SAAB 9-5 2.3t

Mitch is dead right,had a v6 2.5 on 16" rims,was very nice to
drive with a nice compliant ride,the current one has 17s',
o.k on the motorway,but get on some uneven B roads and you
can feel every bump and irregularity,but the 16" rims do not
suit the car,look at the current Honda Accord,looks so pedestrian
on 16s',but in the right colour on those 17" alloys I reckon it looks
very sporting.Funny enough the Accord has a lot of styling in
common with the 166,clean uncluttered lines,but they have
spoilt the latest one with too much chrome on the front.
If I had got a good p/x on my t/spark I nearly bought a lovely
2.4 vtec type S,blue with black leather,wide screen sat nav. the
lot,very competent car,but hasn't got the character of the 166.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

alloys , kit , zender