166 Bootlid lock mechanism broken - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

166 Bootlid lock mechanism broken (edit: and fixed!)

Hi everyone,

My mom's friend came home a couple of hours ago with his bootlid up. Wouldn't stay down, he said. Turns out that when you "drop" (Not slam!) it shut like you would do with any other car boot or hood or door, the lid just jumps back up.
As it closes, it locks (lid completely flush with rest of body) and subsequently instantly unlocks again, with something near the lock, inside the lid making a nasty clunking sound. I reckon it's metal, maybe a bar or rod or bracket something, and to the left of the lock. The lid is then free to go up again.

Obviously something on the inside let go. The good man also found a loose little silver screw stuck between the boot liner and lid itself.

I figured out it can be closed if I just put the lid down all the way but not engaging the lock, and then slowly yet firmly pressing down, so the lock doesn't receive any recoil forces at all after engaging.

Furthermore, it only opens up one out of three times with the remote (on average). With the key, it opens fine.

I've pried a bit of the liner off (only the part that covers the end of the lid), but the hole through which you can see (some of) the locking mechanism isn't very large, and I couldn't see or feel anything loose or broken..

Anyone have any experience? Couldn't find a thread about it on here, I've gone through some other (far smaller) 166 fora without result as well...
Otherwise, some sort of technical or explosion drawing would just as well be infinitely appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by rdcL; 01-06-07 at 17:10.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Re: 166 Bootlid lock mechanism broken

God I'm fast. :O
Sorry if I sent someone else on a research trip already, but I found the problem just by opening it up again. The electromagnet that punches the lock open was just flapping about inside the lid. The loose screw was one of two used to screw the thing to a galvanised steel bracket that also covers a hole in the inside of the lid. I took a good look behind the bracket and saw the magnetty thing rattling about.

The bracket came out, I put the one screw back with some teflon to make it stay (though it had that sort of seizing thread that narrows towards the head of the screw), and just ziptied the other hole to the bracket. Works like a charm again. Sorry for the thread! :P

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , bootlid , broken , lock , mechanism