164 heater - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 164t/s

164 heater

my new to me 164 t/s heater is always hot,no matter what settings i use, i think its the motorised flaps,is there a way of operating the flaps manually,many thanks
Sponsored Links
Re: 164 heater

This is an area few dare tread in which is why you have had no replies.

I have never removed a dash to get at the heater flaps, and I'm not even sure if the TS has the same geared arrangement as the V6, though I think it probably is fairly similar.

I'd ask on the 164 Digest forum www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/

Most contributors run LHD cars, but I am sure some of the removal procedures to get at the heater mech will be similar, so I'd ask away. Someone is bound to have done it.

This link might help a bit too, if only to show you how the system works, but this is V6 remember http://www.alfapro.com/

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 12-05-07 at 07:30.
AO Member
County: Wrexham

Member car:

Hi !

I had the same problem with my 164 2.0l TS. Mine did not have aircon.
You are correct in your assumption.

There are two flaps. One for air mix, and one for air direction.

The plastic at the end of one of the flaps will have cracked, and the motor is now unable to turn it.

Getting to the air mixer box is really easy. It's done from the engine bay. First you remove the "leaf catcher" - or air intake grille - and then you can access the mixer box.

It's been a couple of years since I repaired mine, so I cant recall fully what needs to be disconnected to get the whole box out - but its not much - and I was suprised how easy it was.

Repairing the plastic spigot required a lot of Araldite and patience. It has to be totally solid and strong before re-assembly, or you'll get a repeat occurrence.

After Aralditing mine, it's been perfect for (as I mentioned) 2 years now.

I wish I had taken some photos of the process, but I totally forgot.

Best regards,

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

The temperature flap has an arm attached to it which pokes out of the side of the heater box under the bonnet. You can only just see it with a torch. There is a rigid push-pull cable on the end of it with a spire clip to stop it popping off. You could just about pull the spire clip off, disconnect the cable and try to wedgethe flap in some sort of intermediate position but it won't be easy! The other end of the cable goes to a little stepper motor and gearbox. You can just see the end of it on a right hand drive car by taking out the little inspection flap inside the glovebox. Depending on how much you love the car, you COULD change the motor without taking the dash out by cutting an inspection hole in the dash moulding inside the glovebox area so it can't be seen but its a very messy job (mind you, so is taking the dash out)!

An American company called "Cardisc" used to sell a CD ROM with a video of how to do the job properly. It's for a left hand drive car but a lot of the stuff is the same.

The big drum and breaking plastic bit mentioned earlier is the distribution system for the air rather than temperature. IF you take the sah out, you may as well do both AND reinforce the plastic boss that snaps -even if it hasn't. Just Araldite a slice of metal tube over the plastic. Normally, it's the little plastic gears that strip in the stepper motor gearboxes. You can buy (I think) replacement metal gear sets from a company called Alfapro but last time I looked they cost as much as a 164 anyway!

Good luck!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , heater