lamp lens / window mechanism. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-04-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

ALFA 166

lamp lens / window mechanism.

I am having some difficulty with the drivers door window on my Alfa 166. The drive motor starts to labour when the window is about half way down, sometimes even cutting out if the strain gets too much. After this, it seems to free itself up again, and continues to the top/bottom position where it stops correctly. I have had the door panel off and cleaned the window slides, subsequently lubricating them with silicone spray. I have also applied grease to the quadrant gear, and dry graphite spray to the horizontal slides. All this has made no difference to the performance of the window function. Has anyone got any tips or experience in this matter, before i proceed to strip the whole mechanism out to investigate?

Can anyone advise me where I might be able to obtain a o/s/f headlamp unit (motorised xenon type) at a sensible price, either new or second hand? The bulb and the operation of the lamp is fine, it is just that I had a stone smash the glass!

Many thanks.

Martin W.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Re: lamp lens / window mechanism.

Hi Martin and welcome to AO.

I can only comment or recommend a general solution to your problem with your window mechanism - for a more specific solution you could visit the Technical & Vehicle Assistance / 164 & 166 part of the forum.

But from what I do remember the gear-quadrant and perhaps the motor gear are prone to wear. So if you have lubricated everything, you need to look at the condition of the gear teeth I'm afraid. If the teeth have burrs or even slightly worn it could mean you need a new mechanism or complete unit.

Also it's best to keep silicone spray well away from the glass as removing it can be difficult if you get any over-spray.

I hope you enjoy your visit to AO (it's not only for problems ).

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
AO Silver Member

welcome to AO by the way
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

alfaworkshop used to do cheap(er) xenon lights - still expensive though. One option that is maybe do-able is to get a non-xenon light and swap the bits over (if possible) or if not remove the glass and swap...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

lamp , lens , mechanism , window